Let’s Play “Pantry or Fridge”

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by supasaiyan, Sep 6, 2020.

1. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

That's not a bad idea. I haven't been keeping it warm as it can go rancid, but if you do it in small amounts! I can't believe I didn't think of that.

With eggs, I keep them in the fridge because they last way past their expiry. I should stop though, as these days the missus and I go through fucktonnes.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Which I think is the main reason marg is so popular, but perhaps loses popularity in summer when butter is more easily spreadable :p

3. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

My latest order of Vanilla Paste (which is really a liquid) arrived. The bottle says 24 months shelf life if unopened, 3 months once opened and to keep refrigerated... it takes me 12 months to go through the 800ml bottle and it lives in the pantry. It is only 15% alcohol, but seems to survive just fine.

Sauce... that has always lived in the pantry but with kids it's lucky to last weeks.

4. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

eh, that's just a COA just like the best before dates

5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

What?

6. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Above 4 degrees the flavour runs away to join the circus.

7. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Not sure if deliberately obtuse or didn't understand?

That being said, things are manufacturered or made the same way they were yearssssss ago.

Fridge since they've come from there at the store already, i just keep it consistent. That being said i'm not one likely to remember come summer so certain things i keep in the fridge anyway to never worry about the heat.

I know the yanks keep theirs in the fridge but they also have to as they clean them to reduce risk of salmonela from the outside of the shells (which shows they must has some fucking bad hygiene??)

8. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

Neither, the idea that as a restaurant they go through more therefore what is on the tables and left out overnight doesn't need to be treated the same as the stuff people have at home is naive.

9. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Hardly when it's not specific to anything - Certain things are ok when left out for a short time but not ideal over a longer time.

Restaurants generally have a much higher turnover than a home also...(But, well, food safety standards apply of course).

10. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

So I go to the pantry and get a bottle of soy out, crack the seal and use it for dinner. After dinner I read the label and see that it says to refrigerate after opening, so being a diligent follower of rules I put it in the fridge despite that fact that I'll use again tomorrow. But if I work at a restaurant using the same sauce poured into smaller bottles I'm safe to take the small bottles off the tables and stack them with the rest of the cutlery and plates overnight, thus ignoring the label, because it gets used again tomorrow. Seems logical.

11. Boneman

Boneman Member

Shall I type it again?

12. jpw007

jpw007 Member

How often does it get emptied and refilled at home vs a restaurant?
    Do you understand what turnover is in this context?
    This applies to most consumables. Use =/= turnover.
    A bit more logical now there sunshine? :lol:

Ps. Who cares about soy sauce. You might be hung-up on it but my responses have been general in nature referiing to consumables

13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I don't know what soy sauce brand you buy or the type of soy sauce, but I can tell you that soy sauce does not lose its flavor if not stored in the fridge after its opened. As long as its stored in a cool non humid place and out of direct sunlight.

14. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Yeah, tbh, i've never noticed a difference.

We have some in the fridge and some in the pantry. Shits and giggles and all that. It depends on what i'm eating as to whether i want to use cold or room temp.

15. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

The label doesn't say "refrigerate after using a small amount", or "refrigerate if not using as fast as a restaurant", it says "refrigerate after opening" therefore by your standard all restaurants should be putting it in the fridge as soon as it comes off the table if not sooner.

16. Johnbu

Johnbu Member

They last about 6 weeks. I'd be more concerned about them being past the expiry date than if they were refrigerated or not lol.

Another reason they are popular is the misconception that butter is unhealthy compared to margarine. While butter isn't healthy, having 5grams of it on toast isn't going to hurt you and I consider it healthier than a processed product made out of vegetable oils. Margarine is however certainly easier to spread from the fridge lol

From a taste point of view, butter all day everyday. My pet peeve is when a sandwich bar asks if I want butter and then pulls out the cheapest catering pack margarine.

17. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I think I read somewhere ages ago that it's better to store eggs in the fridge because it hardens the shells so when you crack them there's less shell shrapnel. I do it anyway because there's more spare room in my fridge than in my pantry.

I hate keeping sauce in the fridge because when you put it on hot food the food goes cold quicker. As for butter, just get the spreadable mainland brand stuff. My rellies in Europe (NL & DK) keep their butter in a drawer most of the year unless there's a heat wave.

18. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

They probably keep their beer in the pantry too, heathens.

19. xplod140

xplod140 Member

You haven't lived until you've drank German beer out of plastic bottles at room temperature in a forest.

20. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/...n-whether-tomato-sauce-should-be-refrigerated

JSmith