Level Twelve - Completed Dec 8th

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by slipperyskip, Nov 5, 2010.

1. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I know. Pretty lame name. I do however like how both words have so many letters in common just like Level Eleven. There won't be a Level Thirteen, I promise you.

Anyway, this is a case mod. The case is a very small mini tower case that has the optical drive mounted vertically. It has space for a single 3.5" hard drive and two low-profile expansion slots.

The goal for this project is to replace everything with much higher-end components, improve the cooling system and enclose it in something special...hopefully. It has to be finished by December 15th so this is going to happen fast.

I was cornered to quickly come up with a design idea so I quickly copped-out and traced a photo of Level Eleven.

[​IMG]

I exactly doubled L11's dimensions which makes this a 2/3 scale version of Thermaltake's Level 10. The idea is to make a slide-in "cartridge" style enclosure-type system like my Mission and Mid-Century Madness projects.

[​IMG]
    Gutted, looking at it from behind. PSU in top hole and expansion slots on the bottom.

[​IMG]
    Interior space. Fairly well made with no sharp edges. Made from steel so the Dremel will be working hard on this project.

[​IMG]
    The stock motherboard (left) is being replaced with a Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 mini-ITX motherboard. The stock board is non-standard sized that is wider than a mini-ITX and appears to be the same length as a microATX board. Using the Gigabyte board allows me to use a double-slot video card instead of a single slot. It also gives me USB 3.0 which will be important later.

[​IMG]
    The stock power supply (gutted on the right) is rated at 180W and incorporates the original system's only case fan. It is a non-standard size. I did a lot of research to find another non-standard PSU that comes close in size. What I got is a 350W Antec MT-352 that came out of an Antec HTPC case. A little modding and it should fit perfect.

[​IMG]
    1/4" Baltic Birch plywood being cut with my handle-less X-Acto razor saw. Some things never change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking. I welcome any and all feedback. Standard rules apply. :D

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. Dark_chaos

Dark_chaos Member

Can't wait for the finished result, your work is always of high standard! :thumbup:

3. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

That's a great idea to suit your short timeframe, taking something pretty ordinary like the Lenovo and turning it into something interesting.

Looking forward to rapid-fire updates, keen to see what you come up with :thumbup:

4. Acesi7

Acesi7 Member

Always love your work Slipperyskip.
    Can't wait to see the next update!

5. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Chaos! I try to do my best.

Thank you. I couldn't come up with an idea in such a short notice so I'm just tweaking an old design. I think it has a good chance of coming out alright...assuming I finish it on time. ;)

Cool! Thanks for that. I've been here quite a while now and I always enjoy posting my work here.

6. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    To free up some space I'm relocating the optical drive and 3.5" HDD(s) to the support box. In their place I'll be using this Crucial C300 256GB SSD as a system drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Oops. Wrong CPU. I'll have to send this one back.

[​IMG]
    8" wide quarter-matched Bird's Eye Maple.

[​IMG]
    Back to the saw mill after having a little fun.

Thanks for looking.

7. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

as much as you bag cutting that way it is a big step in machinery to machine cut as straight and smooth!

That said you need a small cnc deck from your sponsors ;)

8. iftwb

iftwb Member

subscribed.

9. panman9

panman9 Member

Whoa dont send it back sell it an make a profit, or send it to me:):):)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  10. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

CNC=Can Not Cut things like a real man. LOL I've never used a power saw that can cut a clean edge like I want, especially with plywood.

Cool. It will be like ripping off a bandage...painful but quick.

Now, now. Honesty, etc blah blah. Intel just told me to keep it for my next project. I guess I'll be building a new gaming rig in January. :)

[​IMG]
    Today's UPS haul. A Scythe Shuriken, Powercolor 5750 and a Vantec USB 3.0 Hub. USB Hub? WTF?

[​IMG]
    New knowledge. USB 3.0 ports are coded in blue.

[​IMG]
    It's not modding unless you are voiding warranties. The plastic case will go in the trash.

[​IMG]
    Cute little video card. Smaller than I pictured in my head. (Did I just say cute? Damn.)

[​IMG]
    6-pin PCIE power plug means there is a little heat under the tiny hood.

[​IMG]
    Nice match size-wise for a mini-ITX board. A single stick of memory to help check for clearance issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The cooling fans face downward. I'll be cutting out a huge portion of bottom of this case to help these fans get direct fresh air.

[​IMG]
    I love Scythe products. This low-profile cooler has six heat-pipes and a 100mm x 12mm fan.

[​IMG]

Back to sawing. Thanks for looking. :thumbup:

11. scottath

scottath Member

subscribed too - would love it if intel sent my a 980x ..... sigh

12. panman9

panman9 Member

Hey let me know if u ever want to sell it(or u could just give it to me:lol::lol:)

Btw Subbed:thumbup::thumbup::)

13. brayway

brayway Member

Nice idea!
    Will be interesting to see how it goes!
    Always love your mods!

14. broox

broox Member

I have a love hate relationship with your worklogs. Love to read em, hate to compare em to mine!!!

keep up the good work :Pirate::thumbup:

15. Broden

Broden Member

looks awesome. can't wait for the end result.

16. Crashish

Crashish New Member

yep. sweet as. i look forward to it. hmm, ive come across some weak baltic wood. hope urs is nice and strong.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  17. khoanna

khoanna Member

whoa, starting to look good mate.

18. Silvion

Silvion Member

Looks nice mate, will keep an eye on this!

19. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Spent the weekend in distant cities in search of materials and supplies. With knives sharpened and saw blades renewed I'll have some substantive updates soon.

LOL Beg and grovel for eight years and your wish may come true too. :)

No but welcome aboard anyway. :thumbup:

Thanks brayway! I can always count on you being here.

LOL Thanks broox!

Cool. It won't be long. Five weeks or so.

Thanks. It seems to be pretty good quality plywood. They call it "Craft Quality" which I think is something between crap you buy at your DIY and aircraft grade. I prefer the aircraft grade but it is not always available.

Thanks mate! :thumbup:

Cool! Welcome to my potential train wreck. :p

20. OP
    OP
    slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I've had a "planets aligned" moment. Last year I was fortunate enough to win a few prizes from Cooler Master including a Cosmos Black Edition, A V10 HSF and a 1100W PSU. I had no idea what I was going to do with these things until the 980X dropped into my lap. I have to keep my mind from wandering off to this next project instead of keeping to the task at hand.

[​IMG]
    Two of the boards I cut are identical

[​IMG]
    They form the roof of the main box. There will be two roofs, one is hidden with fan holes drilled into it and the other is the actual decorative top panel. The space formed between them is a channel directing hot exhaust air out the back. At least that's the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The bottom of the main box will have to support the weight of the actual case. I cut these 1/2" square boards and assembled them to form the floor. The large gaping hole in the center will be the vent inlet. The 1/2" boards will give me enough meat to drive wood screws into them at intervals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The face of the support box and a piece of teak veneer cut to fit.

[​IMG]
    Contact cement drying on the support box board and the back of the sheet of veneer. Odd that you have to dry it for 20 minutes or so before joining the two.

[​IMG]
    Welcome back to Cooking with Jeffrey. Before we roll out the cookie dough lets apply 25 lbs of pressure evenly to the surface using a kitchen roller and piece of wax paper to protect the surface.

Thanks for looking. Today's question is...Which is faster? A 6Gb/s SATA hard drive on an internal 3Gb/s SATA connector or the same hard drive in an external USB 3.0 enclosure?