LG C1/CX/EX series 48" 4k OLED TV/Monitor

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by boneburner, Jan 13, 2020.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I can answer this now that I've been using it for a week. I've done a measure on my average sitting distance and that is between 90cm's-1meter, with occasionally at 70-80cm's. There is a little head movement from side to side to see the edges of the screen but this is only very occasionally at this distance, most sites I visit tend to center the content and with apps I can just have them windowed and centered. having said that looking at the edges is not even a problem, no eye/neck issues whatsoever. Also I'm probably used to having to move with a 43"/40" setup previously anyways.....so this is no big deal for me. As with others I don't know, ymmv.

I don't notice any auto dimming now, but I think I must have had the energy saving selection on Auto rather than Off which is what I though I had turned off, turns out I didn't have it Off. No issues anymore. I does dim when I step away from the screen and there is no activity for a while, which is totally fine.

So overall for me no issues whatsoever, I'm still loving this awesome monitor :thumbup:

darkbastard likes this.
  2. power

power Member

Still trying to get his to look how i want, stumbled on RTings guide that tells you how to put the HDMI ports into PC mode.

Not in the normal menu's you basically edit the ports and then hit the little HDMI port icon and select PC.

seems a bit obtuse but then it IS a tele.

3. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Hey man did you end up doing anything with this?

I just noticed a black pixel in the middle of my screen too :( Wondering if I am best to contact JB or LG directly to sort it.

4. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Hey. Sucks sorry to hear :( Yeah JB will arrange pickup from my place - do you have the original packaging?

5. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Cool thanks for that, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Yeah fortunately I still have the original box.

6. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Looking at getting a bigger monitor that's more game focused, currently on a Dell 3415W. I've been thinking about these LG's for a while. What I don't get is why LG haven't made the same panel into a gaming monitor. Take out the TV tuner, all the associated crap, get rid of the speakers, and set it all up to be a monitor rather than a TV. They'd sell by the bucket load. Why not do it?

7. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  8. power

power Member

careful what you wish for, as a monitor double the price. this is actually aimed at console gamers afaik.

9. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Silly me, thinking that removing some electronics, speakers, etc would result in a dropped price :lol:

10. power

power Member

monitors are not just "tv's with bits removed".

11. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

No shit, Sherlock. Did you miss the rofl emoji?

12. power

power Member

ok, these OLED's sell like they do because they are a value proposition. you suggested turn it into a monitor and sell buckets. I don't think so, there's more to it than that. To the point that many reviews say they are great for gamers/etc but not amazing monitors.

13. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

LG already sell panels to monitor makers afaik. Aorus have a 48” OLED monitor out already, $2199

FuzwaldQO likes this.
  14. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

I was more meaning that they could get rid of the tv gear that most people using it as a monitor would have no use for, and set it up to specifically be a monitor rather than compromising it as a tv. The panel is what's important for us, I figured that it would be better set up for us this way. Also not really sure you can say a $2k+ monitor is a 'value proposition' lol. By the looks, a damn good screen, but value is at the other end of the scale.

Yeah, seems like LG are happy to sell off the panels to other manufacturers but don't want to make it into a monitor themselves. Which is weird because they sell other monitors.

That's two monitors from other manufacturers now, I'll have to look into reviews.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Have been having an occasional "Invalid Format" blank screen recently. Wasn't using a specific 48Gb/s 2.1 hdmi cable so have grabbed one of those to see how we go. Did swap cables earlier with another one and did seem to fix the issue mostly.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

So got finally got rid of the temp cable and put in a, unverified 8K 48Gb/s cable and haven't had any issues since, not one. But just in case it's just up to the job I've ordered an exxy 8K cable, which is certified.

17. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

My CX is going back tomorrow for repair (one dead pixel), hopefully it comes back ok :(

jjjc_93 likes this.
  18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I would have gone to LG direct (no need to send back to store), I've done this twice now and they send out service repair people to bring along a new panel (if that's how the issue is rectified that is) and in 30 minutes all done, all in your own home. Presumably dead pixel fix is just a new panel that is.

raincloudx likes this.
  19. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

Huh that sounds way easier than JB's solution - I'll give LG a call thanks

jjjc_93 and MR CHILLED like this.
  20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep, I knew if I talked to the retailer then it could spend weeks there, so I went straight to LG warranty department and they were so incredibly good. They do want the normal stuff though such as evidence of the issue, and the purchase date. Then the next day I had local service repair ring me up to arrange a time to come out and do the fix, which for me was simply just a straight panel replacement due to a vertical line down the screen.

They came out a few days later, spent half an hour swapping panels and done. They need to get the physical receipt though so you have to give them that so they can take a copy for their own (and LG's) records.

Best company I have dealt with for warranty, so efficient and least disruptive for the end customer. Good luck, hopefully your experience will be the same.

raincloudx likes this.