1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

LG C1/CX/EX series 48" 4k OLED TV/Monitor

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by boneburner, Jan 13, 2020.

1. neRok

neRok Member

My guess is that if some pixels are always doing dark colors, it would be good to hit them with max-white on occasion in order to ensure they keep performing, and so that they also degrade in step with other pixels.

2. IPfreely

IPfreely Member

So after reading some of the experiences from people who purchased the G9 Neo, it looks like a bit of a dud. There are HDR issues galore being reported.

Well its certainly made my decision easier. I will wait for the 48" C1 to go on sale again sub $2k and pick one up then.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You won't be disappointed, it's an absolutely awesome screen as a pc monitor.I'm thinking now about running dual 48" Oleds, desk space might be a big problem though.

Sub 2K is a good price, I imagine we'll probably get a couple of discounting periods through the rest of the year. If I see any specials I'll chuck them up here.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Zeskit Maya 48Gbs 2.1 cable finally arrived today from the US. Probably one of the cheaper guaranteed certified 2.1 cables around. Most expensive cable I've ever bought I reckon, but I figure it's worth it as I plan to keep this 48" oled for quite a while.

20210817_090839.jpg 20210817_091214.jpg 20210817_091238.jpg Screenshot_20210817-090903_HDMI Certification.jpg

5. Da1nONLY

Da1nONLY Member

anyone else getting a tinge around their text??? 4k@120Hz at 100% scaling....

6. Bolts

Bolts Member

7. Da1nONLY

Da1nONLY Member

thanks for the reply :)..

I saw that.... its improved a little but still not what you see on an LCD. a mate has ask to set it on chroma 4:4:4 10bit which fixed it for him. But this is only available on newer cards with HDMI 2.1

8. The Beast

The Beast Member

Well so is 4K 120fps, so it’s kind necessary to pair with these TVs.

9. The Beast

The Beast Member

I bought a couple of these for my PS5 and PC, they work great and about half/third the price.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07VK7JWH5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_DM3MNZY9JKN2A54J861T?psc=1

10. Bolts

Bolts Member

So I'm guessing Da1nONLY is using HDMI 2.0 which apparently can do 4k 120Hz but only with 8-bit colour, no HDR and 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. The chroma subsampling is probably what is causing your text issue:
    https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/4k-120hz-gaming-monitor.html
    https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/is-chroma-sampling-important-for-monitors.html

I think your options are to buy a newer card or sell me your C1 ;)

Da1nONLY likes this.
  11. Audionut

Audionut Member

Almost certainly.

Or run 8 bit @ 60hz. That'll give you 4K HDR RGB/4:4:4 with HDMI 2.0

HDR10 necessitates dropping the resolution to 50hz or less. Any decent media player will engage a suitable display mode for viewing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    Da1nONLY likes this.
  12. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Got my C1 wall mounted finally. Tried using it with the stand on this desk for a couple of weeks but the lack of distance was really pissing me off. Puts my eyes pretty much dead on 1m away from the screen when I'm seated which is just enough to be comfortable. Need to get a longer HDMI cable and then I'll route the cables nicely in a little piece of conduit to tidy it up.

Some blackout curtains next and I'll be done.

[​IMG]

sskmercer and FuzwaldQO like this.
  13. Da1nONLY

Da1nONLY Member

nice man... depth of the Karlby top is definitely lacking at only 64cm... i'd recommend something similar to the depth of the Bekant at around 80cm.

14. Bolts

Bolts Member

15. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Yeah I agree, there's not much space left between this and my bed though so I will have to live with the smaller desk. I have it about 7cm off the wall so it's not too bad. A single bed would solve it but not sure how my partner would feel about that when she's over :lol:

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    Bolts likes this.
  17. The Beast

The Beast Member

Lindy have been around for literally decades, I've been buying the odd bespoke cable or two from them for over 20 years.
    If the cables are certified then they're certified, it's actually much easier to know what you're getting than it used to be with this new certification method.

Not sure why you think the price is suspicious, other than the fact you paid twice as much to import yours?

As I posted above, Club3D also make a certified cable for about the same price as the Lindy.

[​IMG]

Bolts likes this.
  18. blublu

blublu Member

19. The Beast

The Beast Member

You're confused, like a lot of people I guess.

That is a High Speed (HDMI 2.0) 18Gbps cable. It says so right in the description, and that's why it is cheaper than the Ultra High Speed cable (HDMI 2.1) 48Gbps cable - which comes with certification.

It is not claiming to be Ultra High Speed, so I don't see what the problem is.

3m Ultra High Speed HDMI 2.1 Cable, Anthra Line - Lindy Australia

$39

[​IMG]

3m High Speed HDMI Cable, Anthra Line - Lindy Australia

$23.95

[​IMG]

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ultra High Speed HDMI requires certification for assurance you are getting exactly what is advertised. That's not to say a cable that isn't certified isn't cable of delivering. There are a lot, and I mean a lot of shady dealers out there with cheap cables promising specifications they don't meet and you will spend money buying cables that won't work for specific purposes.

Ultra High Speed HDMI® Cable Certification Program

https://hdmi.org/spec21sub/ultrahighspeedcable

You can verify your purchased cable by checking with the HDMI cable certification app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.authenticvision.android.hdmi&hl=en_AU&gl=US

The difficulty comes when you need to find out if a cable is legitimate before you purchase. Dodgy advertisers will often say and include graphics that suggest their product is certified, when in fact if you scan the item using the app above you will find it actually isn't. But of course you've already purchased so many people won't bother returning the cable, and they know this. If you want a cheaper cable then check out forums where people discuss ultra high speed cables.

The certified cables tend to cost more, fact. Again, for the hard of hearing, that doesn't mean a cheaper cable that isn't certified won't do the job. If you find a cable that is cheap and works then that's wonderful. If you don't want to fluff around then pay the extra money and get one that you know is certified and guaranteed to provide you the advertised specifications.

I bought the Zeskit for $56 landed in Aus, which I thought was a pretty decent price for a cable I know won't give me any issues. Why not pay the extra when I've just bought a $2,000+ monitor? It's like spending $5,000+ on a top end pc and buying a shitty psu, it's just silly.

If you purchase from places like Officeworks you will be fine because they have good return policies if something doesn't check out. If you go to somewhere like ebay/amazon to buy cheap cables you run the risk, unless you've done your research prior and can be reasonably assured by other people that the cable you are looking at will perform as advertised. Keep in mind also the length of the cable is important, longer cables may require active solutions.

AVS forums are worth checking out: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/hd...pport-48-gbps-hdmi-2-1.3071130/#post-58133438

The brands I see popping up as reliable and do the specifications they claim are ruipro, zeskit, laser, Gtek, Belkin and perhaps monoprice.

It's a minefield out there so step carefully.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021