1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

LG C1/CX/EX series 48" 4k OLED TV/Monitor

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by boneburner, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Trizae

Trizae Member

also enjoying the fact that you and power are running <"55 for the higher PPi :)

2. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

scored one during black friday sales for $1900 (JB Hi-Fi pickup) and wow.. amazing as secondary monitor/PS5.. HDR is just insane.. contrast is king!

sen1.jpg

3. Trizae

Trizae Member

this is mint is it with the RTX patch? looking forward to the second one wear headphones

4. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yup slaughters my 2080ti at 4k with DXR even with DLSS but the DXR is so pretty so i capped FPS @ 30 which for this kind of game is fine. Yeah got headphones the audio is insane/scary.

Trizae likes this.
  5. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Welcome to the club. One of my few pc related purchases I truly have 0 regrets with.

Time for a 30series card with 2.1 goodness :p

walker_2003 likes this.
  6. Trizae

Trizae Member

yeah glad you got the headphones its on the binaural audio tip but makes the games narritive really disturbing and good and the same time the game is alot you have to be in the right headspace especially if you're playing with headphones because it hits different with the audio cues

walker_2003 likes this.
  7. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah with mental illness effecting alot of my family it can be bit scary. I'll see how I go.

Trizae likes this.
  8. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Given that some members here have had their monitors for some time now, how are you finding them for every day desktop usage - in particular:

- Auto-dimming depending on how much bright content is on screen (i.e. word docs etc). How annoying is it in practice? Is it actually a big deal that you notice daily and get annoyed at?
    - Anyone have any burn-in issues so far?

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I won't lie, auto dimming is annoying, but I've gotten used to it and am willing to overlook this annoyance for all the rest of the positives that go with this screen. No burn in issues so far, I've implemented all the usual anti-burn in techniques.

10. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Not sure if I would want this as an every day screen with the ABL and WRGB sub pixel layout, but epic for me as secondary.

11. C.Y

C.Y Member

This here is my dilemma atm. I “need” (want) to upgrade my triple 1080p for sim racing.

ATM it’s hard to justify 3 x C1s (would also need a 3090 to run the damn things).

I’ll wait till Jan for LG to announce at CES but I can’t see this monitor being around $1k - $1.5k

So was thinking of getting M32Q as a stop gap until
    1. GPUs get faster
    2. 42” LG C2 OLED becomes more reasonably priced

Then I thought if it’s a stop gap why not just get the Dell S2721DGF as they always seem to be on sale ?? By getting the Dell, about $600 can put towards the LG 42” OLED

First world problems I guess :tired:

12. The Beast

The Beast Member

3x C1? Yeah that's a massive upgrade for a sim racing rig. I've seen it done by YouTubers, but even a 3090 would struggle unless you run at 1440p instead of 4k.

Why not get a G9?

13. C.Y

C.Y Member

Yeh the 3090 struggles, but only on one game (Assetto Corsa Competizione) which is the one I use :upset:. It can still get about 100fps optimised just above 3x1440p though.

The thinking with the stop gap screens is (hopefully) the 4000 series technology will catch up and OLEDs come down in $ during that time :confused: (thus the leaning towards the dells)

G9 is not wide enough unfortunately … some have G7.G9.G7 :leet:

And VR is out of the question cuz I get motion sickness (and VR struggles on ACC).

So if I get 3xC1 now … it’s kinda a waste cuz I’m only using half the potential until tech catches up (currently have a 2080ti)

14. The Beast

The Beast Member

EDIT: See my edit at the bottom, an alternate way to do this that is better IMHO.

Here is my PSA for LG owners - a quick "how-to" for running in 21:9 (ish) ultrawide. I found this in a Reddit post and it works really well. This is for NVidia GPUs, sorry I haven't researched an AMD equivalent.

Why? Lots of reasons, I don't think this is a great fit for every title, but I like it for driving sims, and will probably use it for the more fast paced FPS titles.
    You'll have to find your own reasons, but here are a few that attract me:
    • Greater horizontal FOV without adjusting in game FOV, or when FOV is not adjustable.
    • By reducing the vertical FOV you have a more focused playing field in your eyes direct line of sight.
    • Less demanding than 4K, better performance
    • OLED allows the top and bottom black area to be completely off and therefore completely black - unlike LED monitors it doesn't feel like you're in the wrong format, and feels far more like you are looking at a proper ultrawide monitor.
    Pros: HDR works, G-Sync works, 120 Hz works.
    Cons: Limited to RGB 8-bit (as far as I can tell). Not sure why I can't enable 4:4:4 10-bit like in 3840 x 2160.

Basically what you want to do is open Nvidia Control Panel, Adjust Desktop Size and Position, then use the Size tab to enable desktop resizing and resize the desktop to 3840 x 1620. You can chose any combo, but this was the most ultrawide it would allow to set and is somewhere between 21:9 and 21:10.

Here is my screen after resizing and seeing if GOTG would recognise the new resolution (which it did):

[​IMG]

Here are a few games running in the new resolution. It's important to note that while YouTube added the black bars back to the top and bottom, these videos were actually captured in fullscreen and at 3840x1620. If you are watching them on an LG CX or C1 and fullscreen the video then you're seeing pretty much exactly the end result of running in an ultrawide mode.

F1 2021 - I had to manually edit the hardware settings .xml because it wouldn't let me select full screen 3840x1620 in game, but after that it worked flawlessly.

Assetto Corsa Competizione - Support the new resolution completely and without limitation.

Guardians of the Galaxy - works perfectly, although menus and cutscenes are still 16:9. Video got a copyright claim in YouTube (Blonde song) and was unviewable so I had to mute the first 14 seconds.

EDIT:

I've found a better way ... you can also use CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) to create a new resolution and this has allowed me to maintain 10bit (and HDR, and G-Sync).

This reddit post has the answer:

Here is what my CRU looks like when complete, the two highlighted lines are the ones I've added. As it says above, don't worry about it being 60Hz, you can definitely chose 120Hz when selecting the resolution.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    Jarrod_, sTeeLzor, Trizae and 2 others like this.
  15. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

You can also straight up use that method to play in lower 16:9 resolutions without using image scaling to fill the screen. People who think the screen is too big for just some things they do (like competitive fps) don't realise you can have your cake and eat it too. Just set the screen size to what you want, and thanks to self emissive pixels being off when not in use it just looks like that is your screen size in a dark room. I am sure enough use in this way can introduce uneven pixel wear but you would have to abuse it and almost never switch formats I reckon.

Good shout.

Kommandant33 and The Beast like this.
  16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

My guess is the 42" won't be greatly reduced from the price of the 48". I'd be thinking the 42" it will come in at around the 2K mark anyways.

17. C.Y

C.Y Member

Yeh I agree. If I was the pricing manager @ LG I would make the 42” & 48” just marginally lower than the 55” so the value of the 55” is obvious … then the ordering ratio is simple … a heap of 55” and a couple of the other sizes

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Also if the 48" vs 55" price is anything to go by that's more evidence of what the price will be. I'm hoping it might come in at around $1,800 discounted to $1,600, that would be nice, and I'd grab it as soon as discounts were on.

19. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Would you grab the 42" to replace your 48" - or to run dual (giant) monitors? If replacing - curious as to reason you want to go from one to the other?

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No no, currently I have the 48" and an older Philips 40" running in dual, so this would be to replace the 40" Philips which has served me very well but time to move on. Dual Oled's would be incredible.

darkbastard likes this.