1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

LG C1/CX/EX series 48" 4k OLED TV/Monitor

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by boneburner, Jan 13, 2020.

1. T1tan

T1tan Member

Prices at binglee & jb are now $1930 for the C1 48". Thinking about hitting the go button.

sTeeLzor likes this.
  2. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Itll be the 42" or that 34" Samsung QD-OLED for me. Though I really wish it was gonna be a 38"

sanjeevlives and T1tan like this.
  3. The Beast

The Beast Member

It would be perfect for that use case, provided your room isn’t crazy bright with direct sunlight on the screen as the OLED can’t get as bright as QLED.

Feature for feature and in raw performance these LG OLEDs are easily the best TVs to use as monitor, by a country mile…. but….

^^^^ This.

T1tan likes this.
  4. T1tan

T1tan Member

But but but, how soon is release to australia after ces? Don't know if i can be bothered waiting

5. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Earliest. May. Likely July-Aug :D

T1tan likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

I cant see LG holding back the 42" much longer. They're expecting great things for this release - probably why they've built up stock inventory for the last 6 months. LG realised a few years back that if you don't have available stock for a popular release, you actually damage your brand. They try to avoid that happening now.

T1tan likes this.
  7. T1tan

T1tan Member

Lol not a chance then for me.

Genuinely im not trying to thread crap, but after youve all used this daily, for productivity (worky stuff), what is the real burn in risk?

I plan on using this mainly for Windows, dev environments, citrix, and primarily web browsing and youtubing. For up to 4hrs solid at a time.

Gaming is an afterthought for me. For readability, is oled still the best? Or would a similarly specced qled/whatever suit me better? The immediate alternative i see would be a samsung frame qled tv, but not sure how they go as monitors.

I currently run a triple 1080p 24" setup, am looking to get more pixels in and possibly use two 24"s as verticle wing monitors. But there is no chance that the oled would become a secondary monitor "for games" if i bought one, it would be my primary monitor.

Again, no trying to thread crap, just want to be sure before i hand $2k over to a shop.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  8. The Beast

The Beast Member

Zero actual risk. I use mine for that at least 4hrs a day and after 8 months not a hint of burn-in. Just set your auto power-off aggressively (if you walk away it sleeps) and you will be fine.

T1tan likes this.
  9. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I would personally think OLED is not the right choice for productivity tasks. I've heard there is readability issues. I would primarily look at a 38" Ultrawide if you want productivity.

10. The Beast

The Beast Member

A) The question was specific to TVs used as monitors.
    B) You’ve heard wrong.

11. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

He hasnt heard wrong - the WBGR subpixel layout is unusual for a monitor & can *at certain windows scaling* make text behave oddly. Thankfully the fix is to just adjust scaling up or down a notch, which ever is best to your eyes/use case.

Its a very minor issue and not of particular worry.

edit: i'd also like to point out that ultrawides, again depending on use, come with their own set of problems/workarounds. Flat OR curved.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    The Beast likes this.
  12. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I agree. Its a consideration though if your primary purpose is text. And Ive heard the ASBL can be quite annoying at times focussing in and out.
    As a content monitor, sure 100%. Its the reason why Ill definitely be getting a version of one as a monitor, and have another one in my bedroom at the moment. I just had heard a few small quirks about productivity side of the equation.

I acutually cant wait to get hold of one as my primary. I grabbed the 34" Asus 120Hz ultrawide and ended up disappointed with the quality vs my home OLED. Nothing really seems to compare the true contrast of absolute black.

The Beast likes this.
  13. The Beast

The Beast Member

That's really what I'm saying, there are no inherent readability issues with OLED that people should be concerned about when considering them for productivity - if anything the amazing contrast and exceptional viewing angles give OLED panels the edge over LCD in most cases. There is a reason readability is never mentioned in the dozens of reviews for these panels.

For sure, if ABL/ASBL bothers you then I'd recommend not using one of these TVs for productivity because you will need to get used it. I find it happens so infrequently in my daily use that I'm not bothered at all by it, and small brightness adjustments don't phase me either but I can understand it could drive other people crazy.

If someone is never going to use these sets for mixed content (particularly HDR content) then I would hesitate recommending it because it's probably not worth the price premium to use exclusively for productivity.

14. T1tan

T1tan Member

1868 delivered for ebay plus members today. So tempting.

15. IPfreely

IPfreely Member

$1737 + 40 delivery at Bing Lee ebay.

T1tan likes this.
  16. blublu

blublu Member

T1tan likes this.
  17. T1tan

T1tan Member

Done. Couldn't organise a pickup though as ebay doesn't seem to like canberra. Annoyballs.

Just bought a 65" C1 too @ $2880 from jbhifi for the rumpus. They price matched videopro but im driving out to wagga tomorrow to pick it up.

Kommandant33 and boneburner like this.
  18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

19. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

New OLED EX models will be going into production in the 2nd quarter of 2022 - bringing with it a minor reduction in bezel size, but up to a whopping extra 30 percent brightness.

News posted to aokman's Oled's Oled's Oled's thread

20. riot123

riot123 Member