LG C1/CX series 48" 4k OLED TV/Monitor

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by boneburner, Jan 13, 2020.

1. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I am going to go and grab this cable from Officeworks after work today Comsol HDMI 8K, 3m for $40. Doesn't explicitly state it is 2.1 certified anywhere but they claim support for 4k120 so I will have no problems taking it back to them if it doesn't work as intended. I've seen some reports on reddit of them working well so should be fine.

I have a 5m $10 junker cable that has sat around for years that almost does the job too, works in 4k120 4:4:4 but the screen blacks out every now and then. So close yet so far.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I thought I would try a decent cable I had from years ago before I went out looking for a certified cable, thought it would be fine, but got a black screen a few times a day with the "Invalid Format" error on it.

3. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

4. The Beast

The Beast Member

Some interesting conjecture there. Anyone affixing their cables with the Ultra High Speed HDMI Certification Label are going to get slammed it the cables actually aren't certified. It's really not that hard to read a few user reviews if you're really worried, but in general the certification process is an excellent program for consumers to take the confusion out of purchasing.

Yes, but they don't need to cost that much more.

I wouldn't recommend getting a cable that isn't certified, the point is that you don't need to pay a premium for it. The extra money isn't getting you anything - one certified cable will work just the same as the next certified cable (yes ok, there are exceptions in particularly noisy EM environments where extra shielding above the specification is useful, but they are corner cases at best).

This 2m certified cable for $18.18 AUD...

8K HDMI 2.1 Cable, Sniokco Certified 48Gbps Ultra High Speed Braided HDMI Cable 6.6FT 2M, Support Dynamic HDR, eARC, Dolby Atmos, 8K60Hz, 4K120Hz, HDCP 2.2 2.3, Compatible with HD TV Monitor and More : Amazon.com.au: Electronics

is going to work as well as this 2m certified $64.82 AUD model of the brand you recommended. Fact.

Zeskit 8K Ultra HD High Speed 48Gpbs HDMI Cable 10ft, 8K60 4K120 144Hz eARC HDR10 4:4:4 HDCP 2.2 & 2.3 Compatible with Dolby Vision Xbox PS4 PS5 Apple TV 4K Roku Fire TV Switch Vizio Sony LG Samsung : Amazon.com.au: Electronics

That's a terribly misleading analogy.
    If you buy a 1000W PSU from a quality manufacturer with a Platinum or Titanium efficiency rating then you are almost definitely getting a tangibly better product with nice modular braided cables and a 10 year warranty.
    If you spend half the price on a 1000W PSU then you are almost definitely getting a lower spec product, that will handle loads quite differently to the more expensive model, and will come with comparably lower quality trimmings.

This is not true of certified Ultra High Speed HDMI cables, if they are certified Ultra High Speed they can all do 48Gbps, as well as various HDMI 2.1 features such as ALLM, eARC, VRR, 4K@120Hz & 8K@60Hz.

What Vincent literally says in the video you linked is that there is no point him even testing 2.1 cables anymore because there is now a certification. If they bear the label they will need to have met a stringent set of testing to meet the standard.

blublu and mojododo like this.
  5. carver

carver Member

48” C1 is currently $2295 @ JBHifi

waiting for the 55” to discount

6. The Beast

The Beast Member

Uses LG 48" C1 panel.

Trizae, power and RnR like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    boneburner

boneburner Member

In other news: LG delays the announced 42" version that was due around October. The delay supposedly has nothing to do with actual production, but a choice by their marketing department to "maximise coverage" by launching it alongside their CES 2022 lineup.

news via: KoreaEconomicDaily

Arctic_Silver08 likes this.
  8. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Can't wait for the smaller oleds, tempted to get one for the study.

9. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I would be pretty tempted to move to a 42" version if it was sub 2k especially if it was an updated panel. 42" directly competes with the 4k 43" VA monitors out there so I think they will sell like hotcakes.

10. power

power Member

it's funny i have the 48" sitting next to my old 40" Philips, size wise I'm already preferring the 48" even though pixel density is down. Beforehand i would have said the same thing that i'd prefer a 42, now i'm less confident i would having had the 48.

11. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

How close are you sitting to the screen?

12. power

power Member

about the same/similar distance to linus in that vid linked above. probably a bit more but not much.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

42" would be perfect for me as a second monitor next to the 48" oled to replace the aging 40" Philips. Will be a while before they get here with the release next year but I'll be keen in grabbing one.

14. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Damn - I've been waiting for that.

A 42" 120hz+ OLED is a 100% instant buy for me.

I'm really enjoying my 38" ultrawide, but I can have the same experience in games by just setting a custom resolution, with the added flexibility of 16:9 for videos and productivity work. It's really the only possible upgrade path for me at this point.

I still feel (for me personally) like 48" is simply much too big for a desktop monitor, and I sit about 90cm away. For a 48" I'd have to sit more like 120cm away which is just ridiculous for a desk and you may as well just get a smaller monitor.

15. IPfreely

IPfreely Member

Yeah I feel the same. Once you get used to a bigger screen, its hard to go back to a smaller size.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

That's how far I would sit away from my 48", 90cm's minimum and when I'm sitting back in the chair then around 100cm's. No neck strain at all but any less than 90 would be a problem for me I think.

17. WallySimmonds

WallySimmonds Member

I'm on a 38 as well and feel its probably the biggest I really would like. I have used a 43 at one point and found it a bit much, although I have a deeper desk now.

Still if they can get a 120hz OLED display and the smallest they'll do is the 42 I'll potentially give it a shot. Still a bit worried about needing to baby it though.

18. The Beast

The Beast Member

[​IMG]

Trizae, jjjc_93 and raincloudx like this.
  19. blublu

blublu Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    MR CHILLED, RnR and jjjc_93 like this.
  20. The Beast

The Beast Member