1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

LG G5 - QHD 5.3" Display/SD 820/4GB Ram/Micro SD/2800mAh/Dual Camera

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by walker_2003, Feb 22, 2016.

1. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Looks like a great device. Proper innovation in design, rather than just yet another small sequential upgrade. Very refreshing. Getting the B&O friend would be tempting. I'm not in the market for a phone upgrade though.

2. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

This is pretty much exactly what I mean. $900+ on a flagship phone has pretty much become the standard, users will swallow it. Certainly not used to shelling that much out for LG's flagship, their prices have remained pretty reasonable, but for a phone like this I don't think people would quibble all that much. But if they want another $2-300 for addons? Nobody wants to pay that. I think even the $1-200 bracket will give people pause. Now if they come out with a phone that's in the $8-900 range, accessories in the $1-200 bracket will start to seem a little more reasonable.

I understand the 'but you're getting more phone' argument, but with a market this saturated I don't think simply offering more will be enough for them. Look at the S6/G4 sales figures. The S6 removed features, had crappy battery life and was more expensive than the G4. People bought them in droves anyway. If LG want this concept to survive they need to remain competitive on pricing whilst offering more.

3. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Agreed, if it's too expensive as cool as it is I just won't go near it. Otherwise there's plenty of competition from more interesting Chinese flagship phones.
    It's in the government. Hack the state government, enable DLS.

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Fark no. We don't need that BS here.

5. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Do you guys reckon this will be a better phone than the s7?

:thumbup:

6. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

In theory yes, like the G3 was a better phone then the s5 but ended up being crap (poor battery life and overheating)

I think the G4 was bit better though.

Galaxy S7 will hold its value a lot more too.

I am torn though but leaning towards S7.

7. gnarlyrocks

gnarlyrocks Member

Samsung phones are terrible for holding value! Ozbargain has S6's popping up all the time on the cheap.

8. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

S7 is looking like a refined S6 with micro sd support, otherwise nothing special. Also it sounds like AU won't get the snapdragon 820 like the US will, so same headaches with rooting and rom'ing if that's your thing.

I think this certainly has the potential to be a much better phone, especially given it's ability for you to customise it in whatever direction you prefer. Want better audio? Get it. Want a better camera? Get it, etc etc.

Damn I hope I can afford the robot :p

9. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I don't think the camera friend actually includes a new sensor as some people/sites seem to be saying.

The Camera Friend that's been announced so far only adds hardware buttons and an extra 1000 mAh (or 1200mAh depending where I read) battery. No additional sensor.

10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

No it doesn't, and sorry if that's what you thought I was implying. I just meant, if you want your phone to be a better camera, the camera friend will help it be that. Dedicated shutter buttons and added battery life so you don't need to stress about screen on time etc.

11. archie

archie Member

having to turn off the phone to swap the modules is a bit of a bummer though :(

EDIT: I don't see a point upgrading from my current G4 at all.

12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Did you see the reboot time though? In the time it took him to talk about what LG said about reduced boot time, it had rebooted. I can't really think of any situation where having it shut off for ~15seconds is really a problem?

13. archie

archie Member

No sorry, haven't seen the videos yet
    Thanks, will check it out

14. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

The accessories will make or break this phone IMO. Also what LG plans to do with this modular design moving forward.

It'd be amazing if we could get stuff like an actual decent camera addon, expandable internal storage (not talking sd cards), dedicated external battery (not bundled in with the camera grip), nice front speakers etc.

And if LG decide to ditch/change this system with the G6/V11 then it'd be all for naught.

We'll just have to see how things go.

15. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

after a matter of weeks you could get a G3 brand new for $499 s6 still $630+ after months.

Samsung of course dont hold value like Crapple though.

16. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

This should be one of the great phones....

1....ridiculously powerful 820
    2...removable battery ensures long life and convenience for power users.
    3...SD card slot
    4...full metal build
    5...superb screen quality
    6...no1 audio quality, admittedly with add on
    7...good size screen that's not ruined by stupid edge treatment
    8...add ons

17. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

hummm this or Samsung s7.. s7 comes out earlier, is water/dust proof, potentially run cooler and will hold value for longer if previous G# are anything to go by..

I had bad experience with G3, slow UI, hot, terrible battery, camera actually pretty slow to focus!

18. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

id take the s7 edge over this but

Edge has better battery 3500mah
    Edge is waterproof/dustproof
    Edge looks so much nicer, better screen ect.
    New updated touchwiz looks like a better UI, LG no app drawer WTF man?

i've been a samsung faithful for a while and the Note4 has been pretty dismal lately, lockup and reboots.

was keen to give LG G5 a go but its just damn UGLY.

19. Cadbury

Cadbury Member

The size of the G5 is disappointing; a 5.3" screen in a 149x74mm body. The old G2 had a 5.2" screen in a 138x71mm body.

20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I think the holding of value is a double edged sword. If you want to buy on release when everything is as expensive as it will ever be, sure it's something to consider. But if you're someone who is willing to wait a little, the LG, going on past performance, will get cheaper to buy which IMO makes it better value in the long run. If you change phones like you change your underwear though, sure the sammy is the better pick.

As for your bad run with the G3, I think that came down to the rom it was running. I got mine from Yatango. Very little to no bloat installed. It runs cool and the battery lasts all day. My mum got one from Kogan, it came with some wonderful added bonuses like mcafee :sick:. Hers gets hot and can randomly chew through the battery, despite lighter usage than mine. At a guess I'd say there was nothing wrong with the G3 that couldn't be fixed by flashing to a cleaner rom.

As already pointed out, the app draw thing can be fixed just by changing launchers, so no biggy. I think a lot of people are missing the fact that the AU version of this phone will likely still be exynos based, so no SD 820 which means it will be very limited in what can be done with it root/rom wise. If that's not your thing though, no issue.