LG G8 ThinQ - 6.1" AMOLED, Snapdragon 855, 3500mAh battery

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by sanjay, Feb 25, 2019.

1. sanjay

sanjay Member

https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g8_thinq-9540.php

Looks almost indistinguishable from the G7.

I might still get one over an S10 though because I'm a sucker for LG phones thanks to the Quad DAC, their decision to keep including FM radio functionality, and they are generally available very cheaply shortly after release.

2. Sankari

Sankari Member

I've never had an LG phone, but I've bought them for family members, and I have to say they are damn good. 6.1" is just ridiculous, though. 5.5" is the sweet spot for me. Anything larger is just a pain in the arse.

3. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

i run an S9 for work and a G7 for my personal phone, and i tend to agree. the S9 is the perfect size while the G7 is just a bit too big for my liking/preference.

looks like the G8 is a few mm bigger than the S10 in every dimension which may be the difference for me. but the chances of seeing the G8 available for under $800 AUD shortly after release is much, much higher than the S10 (which i think might hover at the higher price range for some time).

4. Sankari

Sankari Member

High end LGs offer better value than Samsungs, IMHO.

5. clonex

clonex Member

i quite like my G5 untill it bootlooped at which stage i lost about 6 months of baby photos of the first born. On the upside taught me to backup :D

6. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

if LG could get away with charging as much as samsung, they would.

7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

LG bootloop has burnt me in the past too (G4), I switched to Galaxy S8 while it was away on repair and never went back. Especially when I heard it was happening with the G5 too.
    Wife's G4 also had a light-sensor failure within the first year. Has LG sorted their shit out yet?

8. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

well ive been running LGs since the G3 and never had a problem with any of them, but i accept thats purely anecdotal!

9. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

LG's for me and my family have been pretty good. I had a G3 that lasted quite well, still works but is flakey now, but given the life it had, travel, heat, sweaty jeans pockets, general poor treatment.. I definitely can't complain. My mum bought a G3 at the same time and only replaced it last month after the screen finally gave out. I'm now on a V20, which other than the screen ghosting issue they're known for is still going strong. Little slow on the OS updates (only got 8.0 in dec/jan I think..) but otherwise I don't mind the stock skin, the settings layout makes sense etc. Really nothing to complain about. Just a shame the V40 is being launched with previous gen specs. Now that the size of the G8 is up there though, I'd definitely consider it.

Edit: Ok here I am lamenting the previous gen specs of the V40 (which is apparently only just becoming available here) only to see the V50 has already been announced..

https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v50_thinq_5g-9607.php

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  10. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

Looks good to me...6" is my sweet spot, 3" for other things....

Bigger screen, yet physically smaller than my mate 9.

Umming about an upgrade, thinking of going back to LG over Huawei....never been a Samsung fan

11. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

ONCE AGAIN AUSTRALIANS CAN EAT SHIT AT THE HANDS OF MASTERMINDS OF MARKET SEGMENTATION LG THE DUMMEST SMART PHONE MAKER.

LG SPEAKING.... AUSTRALIA KISS MY ASS AND PAY $1200 FOR A CUT DOWN TURD LACKING THE QUAD DAC AND SD CARD SLOT.

HAHAHA WE'RE LG, WE DONT HAVE TO BEHAVE LIKE NORMAL COMPANIES WE CAN OFFER DOWNGRADES AND THEN BECOME MYSTIFIED BY THE LACK OF SALES.

12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

We're all grown up here dude, save your all caps rage tweets for twitter.

Havabigjuan likes this.
  13. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

I don't use twitter champ, I really am that disciplined hahahaha.
    Last time dumb phone maker LG downgraded their so called flagship I gave them the ass and bought the HTC10.

14. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

I've been trying to find a factory unlocked G8 from ebay or other US sites for a while now. Only option I've seen is from B&H for $699USD + $20USD or thereabouts for shipping. Frustratingly available at best buy and similar stores for between $600 and $650 USD so once it drops to $600 at B&H I'll probably get one.

Unless I see a cheap deal for an S10 on Facebook in the interim...

15. OP
    OP
    sanjay

sanjay Member

ended up getting a snapdragon 855 variant S10 recently and its great. but the LG G8 is popping up in sprint unlocked variant form on eBay US for as little as $360 USD. ship it to a freight forwarder like planet express and then on to australia to avoid eBay's bullshit GST and duty fees, and youre looking at about $380 USD landed (~$550). seriously tempted just to pull the trigger on one to see what its like!

Havabigjuan likes this.
  16. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

..and look where that got you, HTC are dead. Gave the HTC10 to my cousin and I picked up the LGv30, sadly I'll probably will get the v50 to keep the 3.5mm.

17. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

very tempting to upgrade (sidegrade?) from my S9

18. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

HTC 10 was a good phone though.
    My s10 5g has very good audio quality from the 3.5mm but it lacks the volume of the htc10 and co.

I think next time round I'll buy a phone and $500 dedicated audio player, this is the only way to get what I really want.