LG V20

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by 2SHY, Sep 7, 2016.

1. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I totally agree, I've had the M7 and now the M9, the M7 was great but after 1 1/2 years the battery has fluff all stamina. The M9 is ok but the earphone jack has to be the most annoying part of the phone, I have Shure 315's and if you bump the jack, it pops out enough to stop the audio, happens at least 5-10 times when I go riding or jogging. The camera is also a crock of dicks.

The M10 was on sale for $599 but I just don't want to take the risk of it having a over sensitive headphone jack. Also tired of the bs HTC are doing. They have no idea and now typically like puppies following their master, they've cut the phone jack from the U10. Time for a change, but there's no such thing as a mobile with good audio and camera.

2. Ingy

Ingy Member

ORdered one of these as grey import from ebay, should get it by the end of the week. Looking forward to having a play and fingers crossed for no bootloop!

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

well my LG G 4 hasnt boot looped a second time .... I might take a chance on LG again ..

any of you V20 guinea pigs had boot loops ?

they can be had for $480-490 now ...

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

They're $440 at shopping square, but they sting you for postage, $63 to my post code, yours might be better...

5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

thanks EG. my postage makes it identical to the cheapest (local) posted seller on ebay - $478

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Umming and ahhing over this myself at the moment. Not a good time for me to spend money but.. the old G3 isn't doing it for me any more. Decisions decisions.

7. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

I'm the same...actually love my G3 but it has started doing weird stuff...ringtones randomly change etc

it is time to change, but to what....:tongue:

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

same same here.
    so far i've got a few things on my list

1. fuk samsung, fuk apple. fuk apple, fuk samsung
    2. a bit worried by lg bootloops
    3. dont want to spend over $500
    4. want good sound
    5. want good camera
    6. want decent processing speeds, but gaming graphics arent important at all
    7. wouldnt complain about a small form factor (nexus 4)
    8. wouldnt complain about large from factor either, as long as it's smooth in the pocket. something the LG G4 isnt always good at
    9. not worried about water proof, but drops etc are a fact of life
    10. looks ? they're all candy bars, and yet some of them are plain jane or just plain hideous
    11. did i mention fuk samsung and apple with red hot pokers ?

v20 seems to nail it

9. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

I really do agree with 1 & 11

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

11. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I was weak. Pulled the trigger on a V20, tempered glass screen protector, spigen tough armour case and 4x type C cables. Now to find some things to sell...

I've not been a fan of samsung, but I loved the look of the note 7. If they hadn't have started going up in flames I probably would have tried to pick up one of those instead, even with the higher cost. The large screen + stylus idea appealed to me, being an old school palm user from back in the day :p Add to that I find myself needing to support Samsung phones a lot at work, which is fun to do when they have all the menu's 'improved' and you don't know wtf anything is.

I've wanted one of these for ages, wanted the V10 before it, so meh, what the hell hey.

12. Havabigjuan

Havabigjuan Member

Where did you purchase from?

13. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

qd_au. It wasn't the cheapest, but delivery is from within AU and the name is reputable. I was considering going with DWI, they were ~$30 cheaper but delivery would be an extra week or two for sure, regardless of what the delivery estimate said because it was drop shipped from hong kong, as well as the fact that.. it's being drop shipped from hong kong. *shrug

14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

You know how ebay often says 'delivery between x and y' and you think to yourself, + or minus a week or 3... Yeah no, arrived today, first day of the predicted delivery date :thumbup: Props to qd_au for being on the ball, and having their 'standard shipping' be express post (through DHL).

Setting up now, came with an american charger + AU adaptor included by qd_au, a fairly hefty flat usb C charge cable and some nice nylon braided B&O in ear headphones.

[​IMG]

15. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Htc10 not only has a good camera it's one of the few with optical image stabilization on the front camera.

16. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

A few of you asked for a smaller version of this phone, sadly for you 'smaller' these days still means 5.2", but here it is.

LG Q8 expected in august. A 5.2" V20.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_q8-8781.php

17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

How's the upgrade going evil g ?

18. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

So far very pleased, money well spent.

Battery life is fantastic compared to my old G3. I'm coming home at the end of the day with north of 50% charge left. I have the same apps loaded, and as per my next point the OS setup is very similar.

The OS experience is almost identical, everything works just like it did before. I was on 6.0 on the G3 and on 7.0 now, but I'm apart from some menu differences it may as well be the same.

Reception is a little odd, seems 4g reception is improved over the G3, but 3g reception isn't quite as good. I wouldn't notice except my home is a reception black spot so it sticks out. Overall it's a net loss, the G3 was better, but again, I'm in a known black spot, soon as I walk outside there's no noticeable difference.

The screen is much much brighter than the G3, I have no trouble viewing outdoors now. That was a gripe I had with the G3, just not bright enough. I wish the autobrightness would ramp it up quicker, but once it gets there everything is nice and clear.

The fingerprint scanner works very well, unlocks the phone quickly. My only gripe here is that when holding the phone my finger naturally seeks out the power button/finger print reader which can wake the phone despite all me wanting to do being pocket the phone or just hold it by my side.

Jury is still out on the 2nd screen. I like it, but it hasn't jumped out at me as being terribly useful so far. It's nice not having to turn the phone on to get the time, but other than that I haven't found a use yet. That said, I haven't tried to customise any settings for it yet either, it's just doing its own thing on default settings.

That's just a quick summary for the moment, I haven't really dug too deep into it yet, haven't tried it with the included B&O headphones or tried to customise it beyond getting it set up close in operation to my old G3.

19. Frenchpom

Frenchpom Member

Thanks for the initial thoughts. I live in Kellyville now, Telstra reception out here is an absolute joke. My trusty Note 4 gets essentially no reception indoors, maybe a single bar of 3G in the front room if I'm lucky. Wondering if I upgrade to an LG V20, it will have better reception?!

20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I think the 3g reception on the V20 is a little worse than on my old LG G3, so if you're depending on 3g reception it might not be the best option. On the other hand the 4g reception is better. Where I sit in my lounge I used to get 1 or two bars of 3g fairly consistently, never 4g indoors. Now I get no 3g but a reasonably consistent 1 bar of 4g. So I can still receive messages and stuff, but if I get a call and try to answer it, moving the phone can cause the call to drop, or when I get up to move out to where there's better reception can also cause the call to drop. I'm not worried about it as I was already on the raggity edge of reception anyway, I mean we're probably talking a couple of percent difference either way, I can't seriously write it off because of that.