LG V40 - SD845/6gb/64gb/3120x1440 OLED/5 cameras!

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Stooge007, Feb 15, 2019.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I'm running one of these now, picked up some time in H2 last year.

Cons: The power button and google home button are opposite each other. Naked, this wasn't really an issue, but in a case (spigen tough armor) I have to squeeze the phone a bit to turn it off, and pretty much every single time I hit the power and google home button at the same time, and the phone always defers to opening the google assistant rather than turning off.

I had trouble getting a glass screen protector for it. I went through 3 types before giving up on getting one that really fit properly. It might be a common issue for screens with curved edges, I don't know, this is my first. Seems to me though the screen curves over at the edges, and that creates a slight rise around the edges with a slight dip inside. Completely invisible to the naked eye and you can't feel it, but when I apply a screen protector to mine, I get a obvious ridge around the inside where it just doesn't want to sit flat properly. It's not noticeable with the screen on, but it's there.

I was disappointed to lose the IR blaster and removable battery going from the V20 to V40, but meh, you can't have everything.

Otherwise, very happy with this phone. Chose it because it was the largest screen of my available options at the time, and bigger was better. The screen itself is bright and vibrant, rarely have issues seeing it outside, although in direct bright daylight you need to look, vs just being able to casually see.

Current software version is Android 9, patch 1st January 2020.

The camera is pretty good, I love the ultra-wide - standard - zoom lens options, although I wish some other camera apps gave you the option to switch between rather than defaulting to the standard lens. The speaker is.. just another smart phone speaker. I've never really been impressed by one since the HTC M7.

Battery life is all day+. On any given average day for me if I unplug it at 8, I can forget to plug it in that night, still wake up with over 20% battery and charge on the way to work in the car, or for 30mins at my desk and have no issues going through the day again. On heavier days where I get up at 0330 and carry through on battery till 9ish.. well I can do that without charging. I wouldn't count on it waking me up in the morning though..

Any other questions let me know.

2. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

Thanks mate

Looking likely to pick one up tomorrow :)

Have missed my G6 since I side graded to a S9 (then S9+)

Will report back

3. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

ended up buying the V40, has been running sweet since

finally got Android 10 yesterday, lol

4. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

My v30 is still going strong. Battery still holds its charge well. Worried that the V40 is too big.

5. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i thought that too, but you get used to it pretty quickly