LGA 1366 with issues.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Spork!, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Spork!

Spork! Member

My son's Rampage III Extreme PC has stopped working.
    Have narrowed it down to either MB or CPU.
    I don't have a spare CPU to suit that platform so I'll need to buy one.
    Don't want to spend too much $$$ just for testing.

The xeon CPUs can be had quite a bit cheaper than the i7 9xx series.
    Are these fully compatible with this MB?
    Any disadvantages to using one of these for troubleshooting, or even long term if it does work?

Also - out of curiosity, can anyone tell me what the alpha prefix on that range of xeons means?
    "e", "l", "w" and "x"?

Lastly - if anyone in Launceston reads this, and has a suitable CPU we could borrow for testing, that would be awesome!

TIA.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

3. OP
    OP
    Spork!

Spork! Member

Thanks BE.
    His "techie" mate has been helping him. He tells me they tried removing all but one stick of RAM, and tried a few different single sticks in different slots.
    They tried with a different GPU (which worked both before and afterwards in a different system).
    The PSU isn't all that old, original one was replaced a couple of years ago when it died and took a GPU with it, but I have asked him to give it the sniff test.

EDIT: Bugger. Can't see xeons on that list. That puts the price of replacing CPU up a bit. :(

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

It would be close to - do you spend more on the same system or bite the bullet and upgrade.

Is the system booting at all - hanging at BIOS?

Here are 3 suitable CPU's for under $40 delivered (I wouldn't spend any more than that), but there is a risk they may have something wrong at least you could then put in a faulty product claim with ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-Co...793245?hash=item4d62c890dd:g:kuEAAOSwCCVZqSi3

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-Co...147183&hash=item283f2102e3:g:UBkAAOSwM6NZs0so

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-Co...862171&hash=item25de79fe74:g:aNwAAOSwxXBZeD90

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    Spork!

Spork! Member

He says it spins the fans up then shows a boot error on MB LED.

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I would be asking for the specific code - I would not be confident at their analysis with the complete lack of specific info on the issue.

That is a very high end mobo and gives specific codes for the different errors.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?3018-Maximus-Debug-LED-Codes

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  7. cvidler

cvidler Member

Xeons will work fine, but they won't be on the compata i lity list, because well the manufacture isn't going to spend the time/money to test server CPUs in a PC board. Same as you wouldn't see i7 CPUs listed as compatible on the server boards.

For testing purposes the letter suffixes don't matter for you.
    L is for low power parts (usually have low core freqs, and/or limited core counts).
    X are the high performance parts (optimised for core speed)
    W are 'workstation' parts (pretty much just an equivalent i7 part)
    E are mainstream server parts (trying to balance cores,speed,power,price)

8. ae00711

ae00711 Member

I have a spare xeon W3520 - would definitely work in that mobo, but I'm in 7116

9. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

There are LED and code indicators on the R3E that will tell you what problem you may be dealing with and will be indicative to what you might need to replace with.

10. OP
    OP
    Spork!

Spork! Member

Thanks for all the advice guys.

A member has kindly offered to loan me a i7 920 to test with, so will see how that goes.

@ Bold eagle - I know later ROG boards have the handy 2 digit LED display for debug codes, but I don't think the III series has them. (I think it does have LED's and probably a "beep code" - not sure if his case has a speaker connected or not though).
    I will have a close look at the board and see what it's doing, but he recently moved to another town so I'd like to go with at least a spare CPU to test. I can also take a PSU and GPU. It seems highly unlikely all 6 sticks of RAM would have died, so that should cover all the troubleshooting bases.

@ cvidler - I thought Xeons were compatible. That explains why they aren't on the list. Thanks for the prefix explanation too - I had guessed the W and X, but didn't have a clue whet the other 2 were.

@ ae00711 - Nice part of the world, but a fair hike! Thanks anyway, but have test CPU sorted.

@ Matthew kane - I will need to go out and see for myself, and take a working laptop with me so I can find out what any codes / beeps etc. it shows translate to. Hope to get it all sorted in one trip.

Long shot - but do CMOS batteries die while still being used frequently? Would it be worth taking one with me? Would be awesome if a flat battery was his only problem! The one in this MB must be 6 - 7 years old by now.

11. cvidler

cvidler Member

Yeah, they're just lithium coin cells, they'll die with time. Been forever (decades) since rechargeable batteries were used on motherboards.

12. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

It should still post with a flat/no CMOS battery.

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Agree - just the system date/time and settings will be at defaults.

14. Radiactor

Radiactor Member

As others have said, a Xeon CPU works fine.

The R3E has several boot debug LED's (CPU, DRAM, VGA, BOOT_DEVICE) next to the 24pin power connector that cycle through bottom to top during boot to indicate the current Boot/POST operation. This may give a idea where the problem is.

Check that everything is correctly connected/seated.
    If testing with a single stick of RAM, ensure it's in the slot marked A1 (red slot closest to CPU socket).
    If the CPU has been removed recently, check for bent pins in the socket (they are easy to damage).

This board has dual BIOS chips. There is a BIOS toggle button at the bottom right corner (below the SATA ports). There's a LED to indicate which chip is currently selected. I would suggest switching to the other BIOS chip and see if this gets it to POST (rule out a corrupted bios or setting).

If it does POST on the other bios, switch back again and clear the CMOS (IIRC each BIOS saves settings/can be reset independently).
    This board has a CMOS reset button (refresh icon) on the back IO panel.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017