LGA775 3.4 at top of Futuremark Hall of Fame @ 4.909

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by BigStan, Oct 8, 2004.

1. BigStan

BigStan Member

2. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

actually, all 3DM2003 top places in the Hall of Fame are held by Intel systems. I thought the A64 is better for gaming? :confused:

Edit: Please no Intel vs. AMD fanboy discussion. The above was just a question.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  3. Vaempyr

Vaempyr Member

Perhaps this is a demonstration of the difference between real-world programs / performance, and benchmarking software ... ?

4. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Sure it is. But whatever you use for testing, it always has a "bias to itself." Either you run single games, then the results stand only for the single game, or a synthetic test, then result can be meaningless for a specific game. I have always seen 3DMark as overrated and hyped. Let's just take it, as what it is: One out of many possible ways to test the performance of the video sub system.

5. Vaempyr

Vaempyr Member

Exactly.

Which is why we don't need to find a correlation between the processor class dominating the top of the 3DMark score tree, and the processor class that many users are finding their best choice / option for gaming.

6. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The point here is that many "usual" users are carefully watching what acknoweldged overclocking greats like OPPAINTER and MACCI are using to break the 3DMark record. Some of them are since years in fierce competition. You can be sure all of them have several systems running, and what you see published is of course only the best result.

I had not checked the Futuremark Hall of Fame for a very long time. I thought it's dominated by A64 systems, therefore the current status comes as a surprise to me. At least it is possible to say, that for the specific purpose of achieving a record score in this specific benchmark application (aka 3DM2003) an A64 does not give you an advanatge although it is in general currently regarded as the better choice for gaming.

7. eva2000

eva2000 DDR1/DDR2/DDR3 Addict

probably cause P4s still scale alot better with extreme sub zero cooling than AMD64

8. Xassius

Xassius Member

P4 motherboards scale better too...

There ain't many 'good' motherboards for 939 atm.

9. chisholm

chisholm Member

I agree with eva. Extreme cooling seems to bring alot more headroom out of P4's than amd chips.

10. mrbean_phillip

mrbean_phillip Member

Hello Guys,
    Mmm...Chainbolt, very interesting question there. At this point in time, 3dMark01 performs best on W2k, and W2k again runs better on AMD platforms....thus 3dMark01 are dominated by AMD.

The same is true again for 3dMark03, which performs best on WinXP, and WinXP seems to be better optimized for Intel cpu's. This trend carries through to Aquamark, where the Intel simply destroys the AMD competition.

In new games, eg Far Cry and Doom 3, there are also interesting points to note: In the standard timedemos, AMD perform better than Intel. What a group of testers over at Anandtech did recently though, was to create a timedemo, focussing on scenes which heavily loads the cpu, and compiled a test sequence......amazingly, here the Intel came away on top.

So, all in all, I have both these systems, A64 3400+ and P4 3.2 at 4.4 gig, and generally, I prefer the Intel though, eg when the A64 is overclocked to produce the same SuperPI speeds as the Intel, 32 seconds.....the Intel system generally feels smoother under multitasking......and even websurfing...gaming experience about the same.

But, I guess it depends a lot on preference, as you'd be really hardpressed to feel a difference between 2 equally overclocked AMD/Intel cpus.

Just my impression anyway.

Br,
    pvanr aka MrBean

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  11. sanousie

sanousie Member

Also anohter thing that contributes is the higher FSB that intel can achieve

Thus more bandwidth between the cpu, memory and agp slot.