1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

[WORKLOG] Lian Li 011 XL rebuild

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Will S, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Will S

Will S Member

Going to rebuild the XL, it looks ugly with tubes in a mess to say the least. Not going the EZ tubing because I dont have fittings so will be going the clear soft tube from Corsair route.

Now hopefully the big Crossflow alphcool rad will fit in the case with room to spare. Now I have a 670 motherboard that I dropped and never worked ( yes, I could have returned it as a RMA but I dropped it and I dont do things like that...one of the few decent habits I have ) and I will use to see how things fit.

1/ Clean the case, remove all stickers and give the inside a good wipe

2/ Install the dead mobo

3/ Install the PSU

4/Install the crossflow rad and fans ...try different locations to see how it fits

The build will have a flt240, 6 HD120 RGB fans , maybe 3 Noctua fans , Commander Pro, HX1000i PSU and a 2080ti that has a corsair waterblock on it...all these are used parts so wont cost anything. Even have a bottle on concentrated EK clear fluid and a 3 litre bottle of demineralised water from Coles ( most properly straight from the tap )

All I ordered was some Corsair tubing and another sl120 fan for the evo case

even considering doing a vertical build but nah.......

2. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

So have cleaned the case as well as the blades of the Corsair HD120 fans and the AlpaCool 360 Crossflow fits in the top of the case .....and the small 20mm 240 crossflow fits at the back and a 25mm Corsair 360 fits at the bottom and can access all my inputs on the bottom of the case.

Major problem is getting screws that fit......have used a lot of short ones in the EVO and the ones left have about 5mm leftover in the AlphaCool .....maybe put big washers between the fans and rad and small washers at the head of the screws...would a small gap between the fans and rad effect the airflow?

And where can you get more screws, have 35's but need 32's or 30's ...... btw: hint to new builders, stick to the one brand of rads, the Corsair rads have a larger thread and they are a pain

Still have the problem with the Crossflow 360 that the top ports interfere with the case and basically will need washers and longer screws to get the rad in. Actually will turn the bottom rad around and this time will have no trouble hiding the tubing.

I have removed the bottom USB 3 , will remove both drive cages

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  3. woja

woja Member

I ended up using the 35mm screws and cut them down to size.
    Nothing a vice, hacksaw, an angle grinder or a dremel with a cut off wheel cant sort out, just wear protective glasses

4. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

Have changed the layout a fraction.....going fans bottom and top , basically rads will be showing but will be able to see the lights through the rads....basically reducing the rgb effect

Dont have Dremel or grinder and the screws only have a short thread at the end with the rest being bare

5. woja

woja Member

Make a trip to bunnings =D
    Alphacool use M3 thread screws
    Corsair use M4 threaded screws

https://www.jaycar.com.au/m3-x-32mm-steel-screws-pk-25/p/HP0418
    Looks like Jaycar have M3 32mm screws that would be ok

6. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

Ok, stripped down and drained the original Lian li 011 ( now after a good home ) and draining was good...only a few drops escaped but even with the "yellowed" tubing you can still see where the water is unlike with the ZMT tubing. But now have hopefully the right screws ........

Scopey is very slow in despatching my order....so wont be putting it all together

7. Azure-Drued

Azure-Drued Member

Will be watching this thread...

8. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

Well my major decision is to install 6 xCorsair RGB HD120 fans and Commander Pro ....with iCue its very easy to control fan/pump speeds and RGB.

Or install Noctua fans ( black ) and just have 6 Noctua fans on rads at top and bottom. Won't be using the back for the small crossflow 20mm 240 rad as the flt240's D5 pump sticks out just too far.

Maybe just the basic RGB from Flt240 and GPU for some lighting

9. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

Ended of with the bottom rad unscrewed the port thread when I took a fitting out.....will see how it goes for now

Not enough tubing and couldnt wait for scorptec so did a hash up ...some black xmt and some clear tubing

[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

and what I can't understand is you have your main power connection but not in one model of the 011 does the cable cutout lineup with the motherboards main power connection..you either bend the cables down or up and in this case if I bend it up it fits better in the back of the case

sadly the black/white GPU cables are in the evo but next month I will get the correct length GPU and CPU cables for the EVO build

tomorrow I may put the gpu ones on correctly and do an air test...anyway, that is a mish-mash of parts rebuilt but it looks better then the old one

11. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

ok, it failed air pressure test badly and its the Primochill fittings, the barb is too short so removed them and scavaged whatever clear I could find....had a length for screwing in to drain the loop and that is now in the PC. So much easier using a clear tube and it looks great but after 12 months well look at the tube I am using to do a leak air test ..it blew the end off this tube when doing the test so reduced pressure slightly and cut the end and made a fresh connection with the barb and for the last 15 mins it has been sitting there without losing pressure. Anyway thats about it for the water loop ......will run some demineralized water through, drain and then put in some EK concentrate/fresh distilled water .

Yes, its the bugger all RGB build with basically only memory and flt having rgb

[​IMG]

and yes, did have 2 EK fittings left and not enough clear tubing for the run from top rad to bottom rad so had to use a bit of ZMT I had leftover.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
  12. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

Some comments on the Lian li 011 XL

Positives...the extra size is a godsend after working in the evo and the rear of the case doesn't look like a rats nest and that's before I do some cable management. I did remove the bottom USB3 because its bulky and the motherboard doesn't have a 2nd USB3 header

Negative: the bottom removable rack has these 2 plastic tabs that are as useful as a boil on the arse and like the boil, they will end up breaking. Thankfully you have 2 screws to screw it down but it just makes the case look cheap

13. Wacko02

Wacko02 Member

be careful with what pressure you test at, as you don't need much at all, and anything above 0.5 Bar risks damaging parts. :wired:

14. Spyder6052

Spyder6052 Member

Memory and flt rgb is all I have in my build and I think that's plenty
    20220222_160632.jpg

15. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

I bet you that your flt looks a great shade of red instead of an orange/red ???

My GPU needed a Corsair device for RGB ....so I am not bothered

lol well the hose has bolted long ago.......still something to keep in mind

Just doing a full test with the coolant and pump ......good thing is I have a nice 10mm gap behind the pump so it can bolt straight onto the 011 XL without brackets

I could fire it up now but really just cant be bothered ......ended up testing various parts last night...2am before I hit the bed

16. Azure-Drued

Azure-Drued Member

I really don't get the Hardline tubing these days..
    On another note i bet that weights a few kilos..
    Nice Job...

I would do a push/pull on bottom just to get more air in for the top Rad, but thats just me...

Edit : (Just thought of this) Corsair commander pro has the RGB and a 6 fan pwm/dc conntroller and adds two other "Mobo" style usb headers. just a FYI

17. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

Will be connecting all the fans to a Commander Pro pwn/dc controller and using iCue to control the fan speed

have the fan at the back pulling in

btw: have another Commander Pro with the RGB controller attached and 6 Corsair HD120 fans that I am going to sell

18. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

well its finished ...temps are good and it's quiet

and thats my last build EVER

19. woja

woja Member

for now

Azure-Drued likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

well thinking about throwing a dye in there seeing its clear tubes but I have heard horror stories about damage some can do

a light blue tinge or light green so what are the ones to avoid?

btw: and still waiting for that last fan ..Scorptec has really dropped the bundle as it looks like been over 8 days before I get it delivered but I guess that is what "free post over $100 " means ie. a camel train from Melb