Lian Li PC-A71F

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Philll, Mar 4, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

[​IMG]

After taking somebodies advice I decided to buy one of these. Coming from a HAF 932 to this, I just thought I'd post my opinions. $385.56 including delivery.

It's mostly described as 'sleek' and 'roomy' I think I'd rather call it 'sleek' and 'cheaply built'. To be fair I should have done my research a little more, but I put my faith in the reviews. Maybe I was spoilt by Coolermaster cases previously but for the Lian Li's price I thought I'd get something built to higher standards. Here's why.

The good

- Once you remove all the crap you have a lot of room.
    - I can fit 2 5870's end on end with the HDD rack removed, so any GPU for a long time will fit.
    - It is somewhat good for air cooling, it has nothing on the HAF 932 since the majority of the case is closed up. There are vents but they seem to do very little. You can purchase extra panels of course which allow for better cooling, but it's a little pricey on top of what the case has already cost.
    - Because of all the room it would be good for a water-cooled setup.
    - It does look nice.

The bad

- It has that finish that when you touch it, fingerprints are a bitch to get off.
    - It all feels weak and flimsy. I can barely bend my CM case door, this one folds no problem. The HDD rack is the same.
    - Cable management is also difficult due to the flimsy sides, they really bow out. The CM case would pretty much squeeze them to fit.
    - The top and bottom for where you can put a PSU / extra HDD's do not switch around. You would really think it would considering they are almost the same size, but you cannot put the mobile HDD rack on the bottom shelf if you move the PSU to the top, so I put them under the DVDRW instead.
    - It scratches really easily. All I did was remove the HDD rack.
    - The on button is behind the door, you have to unlock it / open it every time to turn it on.
    - The input board on the back does not fit, it bows outwards a little so there is a gap between the case and the board itself.
    - Is it really that hard to run a spellchecker?

Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I won't be buying any of these cases again, considering I could have bought the newer CM case for less I think I'll stick with them from now on.

2. Dan N

Dan N Member

Thanks for the photos as I was considering about buying that case but based on your comments. I guess i can wait for the new case of lian li, ACF-F77 with USB3.0 connection. I will have a hd5970 next week.

3. Scoobth

Scoobth Member

Thanks for the photos and post, sorry your not enjoying it much. This is one of the cases I was considering getting before I purchased the Silverstone FT-02 which I am really really happy with.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It looks a tad flimsy, is that the case here?

I don't think I'd ever buy a Lian Li, simply because of the price.

5. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I recently bought a lian li PC-201, not because it was lian li, but because it was the only case that suited my needs.

I have to agree with pretty much all your points. Having heard people rave on about lian li cases and their 'superior build quality' for so long, I really was expect so much more.

The pc-201 is the first pc case I've ever cut myself on, and that includes dozens of budget no name cases I've worked in. The cooling system is rather confused, lian li seem to think you can make airflow bend and twist you your will, it just doesn't work that way.

The most annoying part though is that the case sides vibrate like no other case I've ever had. The whole thing hums away, slowly driving me insane. It was twice the price I paid for my stacker 810, but I'd put coolermaster build quality up against it any day of the week.

Very glad to see I'm not the only person disappointed with a lian li case.

6. caz67

caz67 Member

I only use Lian Li cases, never had an issue with mine. Rock solid build great airflow, not sure about your model??

My PC 60 Armor suit is built like a tank, nothing flimsy in any of my experiences with Lian Li.

7. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

Well flimsy compared to what? sheet steel? Its aluminium, obviously not going to be the same 'strength' as a a case made of steel.

As for fingerprints and being scratched easily, again its to do with aluminium not the build quality.

8. Copie

Copie Member

Mine isnt flimsy at all, as for the marks, they are easily removed with a little bit of metho on a cloth.

Why did you remove the cage and put the PSU on the top anyways? to remove any airflow restrictions?

9. Mjollnir

Mjollnir Member

btw pretty sure the HDD cage can go on the bottom PSU slot, at least it does on the A7110. But u have to remove the PSU support from underneath.

10. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Metho on a cloth every time I touch it and open the door to turn it on? :tired:

I moved it so that my GPU could breathe better.

Either way, many cheaper cases are tougher and have better air flow, but I'm stuck with this for at least a year. Or my wife will bash me.

11. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Holy shit. Just as I finished typing that, a DVD finished burning.

*thump*

That's the sound of the DVD trying to eject when done, straight into the closed case :p

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No I've never had one, just would never buy one as I don't think they are great value for money.

13. 3Tone

3Tone (Banned or Deleted)

If you wanted a tank why the fuck did you buy an aluminium case? They are designed to be light. Sounds like someone didn't do their research properly. If you're used to cheap shit steel cases the aluminium ones may feel flimsy. I have never had a problem with my lian-li's.

14. loupseul

loupseul Member

I moved from a p180 to this case. I find it alright, it is thin and light, but it's quite a nice case. I remove my finger prints by breathing hot air and wiping with a shirt or something. The only thing I don't like is the fan noise which is loud as, but if you lower them down then it's all good imo.

15. Seith

Seith R.I.P.

Have the same case, I do not think it is flimsy for what it is. I've taken mine to many LANs and it's never changed its shape. You have the same card as me and it "breathes" fine, mine runs at a cool 45° and that is with 7 Hdds just to the right of it. Have my PSU at the bottom, it's the Corsair HX1000 and have whatever cables I need running behind the mobo tray neatly which shows no signs of bowing the side panel. Also wouldn't the whole point of the Power on button behind the door is so you are able to lock your PC and no one can come turn it on. I do agree that greasy fingerprints are hard to clean off.

The reason I went with the PC-A71F is for all the room and the fact that it is all aluminum. I've had many steel cases and the first parts to break are always the crappy plastic they use all over the case. Would always come back from a LAN with something cracked or snapped off.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  16. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Yeh thanks for that.

This whole review is in comparison to my old CM HAF 932. I don't see how 'cheap shit steel' is somehow worse then flimsy, fingerprint retaining, easily scratched aluminum. Maybe it's the fanboy in you talking I don't know, but to say this case is of high quality is foolish. I got tired of convincing myself that shit purchases were good no matter what a long time ago.

17. spikes

spikes Member

Never had a problem with my Lian Li PC-S80, and I've worked with the PC-A71, I found them to be a strong sturdy case. In my past experience with Lian Li, they've been in excellent quality.

18. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

The case is strong, the parts you can detach aren't. They literally bend when you hold them.

19. Seith

Seith R.I.P.

Each to their own.

Now that I have my Lian Li case I can safely say my next case will most likely be a Lian Li. Aluminum is obviously easier to mark than steel, it's just common sense. I would never put anything harder than aluminum on or near case. The case is well designed and put together and that is where its strength lies. If Lian Li cases were as flimsy as people made them out to be you would hear about these problems (saying the case feels flimsy does not count as a problem).

I am not trying to change your opinion but merely give my own :).

Edit:

I would assume you are talking mostly about the side panels. Once they are attached to the case like they should be they become part of the solid structure of the case. If you are not using this or any other parts then yes they are flimsy and should be stored away safely if you wish to use them later on.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  20. Copie

Copie Member

My old HAF932 showed up fingerprints as well, not quite as bad as the Lian-Li but still.

My case as done around 2600km's so far on the backseat of the shaggin wagon, and still is pristine and in the correct shape.