"Life on Mars: NASA unveils plans for human colonies by 2030s"

Discussion in 'Science' started by MR CHILLED, Oct 12, 2015.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

There are some noteable skeptics around here that say we will ever get off this planet, but I'm a belieber......I think we will, perhaps not in our lifetimes, but I think we will eventually.

"Life on Mars: NASA unveils plans for human colonies by 2030s"

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sc...-human-colonies-by-2030s-20151010-gk5w3k.html

2. Monthalger

Monthalger Member

Before anyone goes to Mars, a nation needs to commit to it. I don't believe the US is committed to going to Mars.

3. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

A few things come to my mind about this:

1. We haven't even been to the moon for ages now.

2. Sounds cool!

3. What's the point?

4. There are perhaps better things to spend the squillions on at the moment.

4. Cadbury

Cadbury Member

I agree that it will likely happen. But that article was overly ambitious. I cant see what they are describing being in place for at least 50 years.

5. JugV2

JugV2 Member

If indeed we ever did go to the moon.

I agree with point 4 however. Much more to deal with here for now.

6. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Should have happened sooner.
    Good to hear though. :thumbup:

7. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I don't think it will happen, because I don't think there is any need for it. The cost for even reaching Mars by a manned mission, not to mention maintaining a settlement there would be gigantic. What for?

Furthermore, 2030 is in 14 years. The preparations for such an ambitious mission should be underway now. Are they?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Eventually there will be a need for us to move on. Our time on this planet is limited.

9. Papermilk

Papermilk Member

Preparations have been underway for awhile now.

Recently they have been building structures to test newly developed rockets they will be using for the mission. i'm pretty sure last week NASA released a document describing the process of getting to Mars in the coming years.

10. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

But it's not only going to Mars and have the means to return, it's also about maintaining a habit there.

It took the US roughly 10 years to prepare the mission to moon. Going/returning to/from Mars + maintaining a colony there in 2030 is certainly more ambitious. And where is the funding?

11. dexx

dexx Member

The article is pure popcorn. Theres no funding for a manned mission within 14 years let alone a habitat and deep space support stations. Maybe it was a misprint and should have been '2130'?

12. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Agree with this - future proofing time.

13. aokman

aokman Member

I dont agree, the world needs something to unite nations, something productive thats stands to push technology forward and exploration.

There is too much hatred and sadness in this world.

14. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

So so spot on :thumbup:

15. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

I know, right? We can't even share the Stargate amicably, 'sif playing happy families to get to Mars :D

16. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Good luck with that. human nature is human nature, and we are what we are, that is not going to change. Furthermore whilst we have religions we will not have unity. it will take catastrophic disaster to unite and probably by then it will be too late.

17. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

That is what I think as well. It's misleading. Such a project should be well under way already now, not to mention annual multi billion USD budgets to keep it running.

18. dr_deathy

dr_deathy Member

Wont anyone think of the money!

Its not all doom as it creates jobs and thus more tax making more jobs etc. Skilled jobs as well. So the real cost would be very hard to judge.

I think we are failing as a species not to do it, its either this or bailing out failing businesses.

19. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

It's the discovery of free water on Mars that changes everything about the planet and our interest in it.
    It gives us a reason to go there to do research that's beyond the capability of autonomous machines. It opens up the possibility of a self-sustaining and expandable human presence on Mars.

20. pelmen

pelmen Member

It'll happen but i doubt it'll be NASA primarily as they have to keep justifying their budget to congress and it'll only take one "cost cutting" presidential vote grab to kill it even if they got funding today. NASA need to invent the right threat to sell it to the white house. They may also hinder the co-operation needed on/around earth for commercial enterprises to do it themselves. Maybe the us will sell off NASA anyway and Branson & Musk buy it.

The desire to get there exists but government support for education & science isnt strong enough, they want quick wins.