Light and fan switches interfere with TV reception

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by smack01, Feb 2, 2017.

1. smack01

smack01 Member

So I am having a strange issue at the moment where the TV reception in my living room has weakened and I am getting interference every time I switch certain lights and fans on (I know that I have two power circuits running through the house). Even more concerning is that the interference also occurs when I open my fridge. By interference I mean that the audio cuts out for a second or two and channels 7 & 2 are dropping out.

I have tested to see if it was a power surge issue of some sort and can confirm that no sound drop out occurs If I am watching anything that is not terrestrial TV (ie through my plex server or AppleTV).

This has previously happened but has gotten much worse since I completed the following:

1) Installed a HDMI pass through right next to the coax plug - Runs from the back of my PC in the adjoining room to the TV in the living room - THIS HAS SINCE BEEN DISCONNECTED AS I NOTICED THAT IT SERVERLY INTERFERRED WITH MY RECEPTION WHEN EVER THE PC WAS ON AND SENDING A SIGNAL DOWN THE LINE.
    2) Installed a coax point in my study and used a splitter to run both the living room and study points - THIS HAS ALSO SINCE BEEN REMOVED SINCE I NOTICED THAT THE SIGNAL STRENGTH WASNT HOLDING CHANNELS 7 & 2.

Even after reverting back to original setup, the reception is still worse then before.

Other trouble shooting I have completed:
    1) Replace the coax wall mount - The old one was looking a little worn.
    2) Replaced the coax lead running from the wall to the TV.
    3) Cleaned the coax copper cable to try and get a better connection with the wall plate.
    4) Tried a signal booster from Bunnings with no luck.

Any ideas???

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. power

power Member

there may also be a noisy power supply on the same circuit as the tv - try running an extension cord to a different circuit in the house from the tele.

3. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

seems to be with reception.. have you tried a booster on the coax aerial? It may be also worth putting UPS on the TV to clear up any power going to the TV..

just the first thought

4. OP
    OP
    smack01

smack01 Member

I did try a booster box that I bought from Bunning's. Didn't seem to help :(

I don't have a UPS lying around but would a surge board achieve the same thing?

5. ipex

ipex Member

are the lights led ?
    on the ham bands led lights cause a bit of interference

6. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Perhaps your coax in-wall cable is damaged and no longer properly shielded from interference.

7. OP
    OP
    smack01

smack01 Member

No they are not.

Could be, but weird that its only just happened.....maybe chewed through????

I am thinking I will have to get an antenna guy out to check it all out.

8. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

Is the coax in the wall the old rg59 or the newer quad shielded rg6? I upgraded my old rg59 cabling to rg6 and it made a huge improvement

9. OP
    OP
    smack01

smack01 Member

RG59 by the looks of it. I am going to get an expert in to look at the whole thing and see what they have to say.

10. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

rg59 is only twin sheilded (I think). Get RG6 quad shield for sure. It will make a big difference.

11. voltare1

voltare1 Member

or if your internet is good,stream . the broadcasters all stream online now..

12. McRutch

McRutch Member

nope, surge boards only protect from extremely high voltage such as; a lighting strike or street transformer blowing up and spiking..

a ups will give you a clean 230v whether your input supply drops below or above even a fraction..

13. Darts

Darts Member

Had this in my old house. Am sparky by trade. I'm guessing you have downlights? If not could be a shitty switch mode power supply. Apparently they emit noise on the same frequency as the TV broadcast, ( I think ) this was years ago when I had to look into it. In bad cases you can create a noise cloud and ruin your neighbours reception aswell.

Easiest way for guaranteed fix is to rerun your old rg59 TV cable in quad shield RG6 and use f type connecters, also replace any old rusty tv splitters with new one. It's pretty cheap. A 4 way splitter is like 5 bucks. You can buy RG6 cable from online wholesalers but obviously you don't need alot so it'd probably be easier to just pay someone to do it.

14. ipex

ipex Member

get some ferrite beads from jaycar , wrap the antenna coax around the bead and plug into tv

it acts a choke and stops interference getting into the line

15. ministry

ministry Member

It would be the transformers that were wired by the electrician when the house was installed. I would suggest getting a sparky to come out and check them. If that fails then you need to look at the coax cable and make sure it is not close to any electrical cables.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I used to have similar issues back in my old place....I could change the channel on a plasma tv by turning the fan speed controller on a ceiling fan......wtf!??

Never did get a resolution to it, just lived with it.

17. Shags

Shags Member

Any updates? My house is 18 months old, i lose TV reception when i turn my garage light on.