Light Portable Laptop Recommendation

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Deus_Ex_Machina, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Hi all,
    I have been researching for hours but tied myself up in knots. I'm looking for a nice slim laptop with decent battery life. I love the look of the ASUS Ultrabooks etc but would like to do it a bit cheaper if possible and if you want 256GB you seem to often jump to an i7 which I don't need.

Will mainly be for basic office work with the occasional retouching of a photo or two but nothing too heavy.

Looking For:

Reasonably built not horrible cheap plasticky shit.
    13"-14". Can handle 15.6" if still slim and price is right.
    IPS Panel
    4GB RAM
    CPU: Don't care as long as it's not an Atom etc. I3, I5 or AMD equiv.
    256GB SSD: I have a SATA one of these spare so if laptop had mech HDD I could swap.
    Solid battery life circa 5 hours?

Any suggestions?

2. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Either a dell xps13 or a lenovo x1 carbon would be my suggestions. They're both well built (particularly the lenovo, but then it's the more expensive of the two), they're both very small for their screen size, they both have decent battery life.

Neither are dirt cheap, but then you get what you pay for. I wouldnt buy an ASUS notebook again in a million years, their build quality is attrocious

EDIT - or the xps15 come to that

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  3. AgenaFX

AgenaFX Member

MacBook Retina 12"

I have the first generation base model (8GB/1.1 GHz Core M3) and I've used it for work (VDI/webapps), travel (Lightroom/Nik editing). It's held up pretty well and I still use it as my daily driver personal machine (other than when I'm gaming).

4. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Are you looking new or used? Price range?

If you're considering Apple then the MacBook Air is a pretty solid option too. My wife is still using her 2011 vintage 13" which has 4GB RAM, 256GB (now 480GB) SSD and it's i5 CPU. You can pick up the older units for not a lot of cash... They still look identical to the current models and hold up to very well to lots of use. If needed replacement batteries are cheap enough too.
    You can load Windows on it too if you need.

Alternatively, the Surface Pro 3/4 can be had reasonably cheap (especially in the second hand market), although I'd personally prefer a real keyboard.

5. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Lenovo T440 is pretty cheap and cheerful these days as a refurb. Can definitely recommend, and a nice keyboard too.

6. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Far from the highest quality unit around but I picked up an Acer Aspire V5, i5-4200U, 4GB RAM, 256GB Toshiba SSD, in immaculate nick for $200. Will do for what I want it for for now. Apparently had a charge problem but it was just that he was using a power prick with too low amperage. New adaptor and off she goes.

7. AgenaFX

AgenaFX Member

Happy for you :) The only thing I regret from my MacBook purchase was not going for the maximum amount of storage available...

8. PhantomAU

PhantomAU Member

I have just received a Dell XPS 13 9360 for work and it is fantastic, I personally would go with a Full HD instead of the stupid resolution of the Quad HD screens thou.

9. money_killer

money_killer Member

lenovo best ultrabook i have had