1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Light stand recommendations?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by quwackers, Jan 17, 2018.

1. quwackers

quwackers Member

I am looking to pickup two light stands for my off cam speedlights.

I am fine with budget tier stands but I was wondering if anybody had recommendations or experiences with Neewer?

I have a Neewer Octagonal Softbox and it seems quite well built.

I don't mind too much about stand compression, as long as it isn't above 1m as for usage, I am looking for something I can take into the field, approx 6-8ft tall.

P.S. I'd prioritise sturdiness in the field over weight :)

2. Scootre

Scootre Member

A C-Stand with sand bags is the only thing I'd trust in the field at those heights.

3. rommy

rommy Member

Isn't that a bit overkill for a speedlite?

Anyway, I'm using Manfrotto Nano Stand and I'm in love with it for the size, the weight and the sturdiness.

4. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Light stands are OK if you are shooting on flat ground, but my "field work" generally involves rocky rainforest streams, where a tripod is far preferable. Yes, it is heavier than a stand, but it doesn't fall over and can be set up pretty much anywhere.

5. Scootre

Scootre Member

Many c stands come with adjustable legs for uneven ground. Been there done that.

As Rommy said, maybe overkill. But 2-4 metres / 8 feet is way up there with a softbox.

6. Michael H

Michael H Member

Look at the Lumapro LP605s, as recommended by the Strobist. I have 2 of these, they are light weight but able to handle speedlites and modifiers with ease. Small to medium size modifiers.

7. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

That looks pretty neat. I ended up getting some cheap 2.1m stands with 'air shock', but supply difficulties meant they upgraded me to 4m ones for free. Excellent units for the price, but not easily transportable.

8. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

I actually don't find a C-Stand all that sturdy outside. I'd prefer the wider footprint of a large light stand plus sand bags. Come across this one recently. Might buy a couple when I get a chance.