Lightning in Adelaide

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Sir.Eos, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

I haven't been very active on here lately, so here are a few shots from tonight. The heatwave in Adelaide broke in spectacular fashion tonight with a big thunderstorm. Lightning is pretty rare down in Adelaide so I rushed home to get the camera and get a few photos. Please excuse the slightly dodgy processing, done in a hurry after a few beers! C&C welcome, this was my first time shooting lightning so wouldn't mind any pointers you guys have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Really like the last one. What were your settings for that shot, do you remember? EXIF data says 2min shutter speed, 16mm, ISO 200, f/9... that sound about right? I don't get a chance to play with lightning shots often so always looking to learn from others photos.

3. OP
    OP
    Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

Cheers man, EXIF is right, basically just rough meter for a 30sec - 2 min shutter speed open up and then hope there is a good strike.

4. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Damn. Spectacular!! Just need CA correction on the colour ones.

5. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Very nice Phil. Love the bulging clouds in #2
    Was that down at Marino Rocks ?

I got my camera and was on route to a spot to get some snaps when the rain started bucketing down and the intensity of strikes slowed down.. ended up aborting the shoot

6. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

I am a huge fan of these shots, and if they are your first attempt, then huge credit to you. Love them all.

7. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Completely agree. They're simply awesome!

8. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

You have cranked out 4 photos that shit on everything I've seen posted to the storm chaser pages on Facebook this entire season. And they don't have enormous watermarks on a photo that was clearly taken on a potato.

Top notch! :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

Thanks Michael, nah at Glenelg South (short walk from where I live). I did something similar, I was out with the girlfriend and then said okay I'm going to go take photos now goodbye. On the drive home there was really intense rain, thought I wouldn't get anything, got to the beach and there was no rain. Ended up bucketing down later (spelled the end of my shoot).

Thanks, first proper attempt at lightning. But plenty of landscape experience etc.

10. breno

breno Member

Absolutely amazing! I'd buy them if they were framed...if I had money :p

11. pugsley

pugsley Member

I was just about to hit the sack when it got to my place, thought you beauty! there is never lightning like this here so i grabbed my camera and headed out. As i stepped out the door Thor dropped a bolt into a tree across the road, i dropped a big bag of nope in my pants and went back inside :p

12. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

My Concern with any lightning shots is to find somewhere that has a structure Earthed that will get hit before I do

13. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Damn I like number 4 a hell of a lot....

14. DaveRS

DaveRS Member

Great shots! Unfortunately have two dogs that hate thunder I couldn't get out. :thumbdn:

15. scotteee

scotteee Member

wow, awesome shots phil and a nice bit of foreground interest which can sometimes be forgotten with this type of shot :) what lens did you take?

16. TwinII

TwinII Member

Wow! These are incredible!

17. Draxx

Draxx Member

Great photos - I'm curious about the line across #3 - a plane?

18. beLarge

beLarge Member

These are awweeeessoommme as dude, so crisp! How did you with the "I hope I don't die" feelings haha - I got to shoot my first lightning just before the end of the year and it was a bit unsettling

19. C0L0N3L

C0L0N3L Member

Sweet shots :thumbup:

I also want to know if you thought it was getting a bit close.

AND..

Was it super windy? Last time I tried something similar I was almost knocked off my feet.

20. OP
    OP
    Sir.Eos

Sir.Eos Member

Cheers man. Happy to do you a print if you ever find some of that elusive money!

Holy Crap! I don't blame you for going back in! Glad you're okay man

Yeah, I was down on the beach with plenty of large light poles within a few metres, it's not a good idea to stand in wide empty spaces when the heavens open up.

Cheers, I'm pretty happy with how that one turned out.

Ah that sucks Dave, hope they got through it okay.

Cheers man. Yeah foreground is vital for all landscape stuff IMO, too often you see people with just a sunset and the ocean but nothing worth seeing in the bottom of frame. Absolutely vital. Shot with the 16-35mm f/2.8L, EXIF should all be in tact if you wanted to check any settings out.

Thanks!

You are quite correct, that's the departure flight path out of Adelaide. Not sure what type of plane but it was small. The lightning is actually over the horizon where as the plane wasn't too far away, not as intertwined as they look in the shots.

Cheers, didn't ever actually get that feeling, these were striking over the horizon and I was paying attention to the thunder, and all the close (rough guess) was behind me in the city/hills area of Adelaide. Never felt like anything was actually threatening where I was.

Thanks, As I just said don't think I was close to anything, it was happening around me but not where I was.

The wind kicked up heaps later, clocked some of the highest speeds in Adelaide on record later that night but when I was out it was almost eerily still. No rain, little wind. Quite strange.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words. Let me know if you have any more questions