1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightroom Classic

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Munki, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Munki

Munki Member

Is it just me, or does Lightroom Classic use up a whole lot of resources? I want to use it over my LR4, but it's such a resource hog. I know my machine is a bit dated now, but it's still fine with anything else I throw at it. Just seems to be LR Classic.

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Yeah that is pretty much every version of Lightroom.

Best to build/work off Smart Previews until you are ready to export and then reconnect up to your RAW files.

3. TwinII

TwinII Member

Yeah I upgraded to Adobe's subscription service about 6 month ago and was on LR 4 prior to that. I had read that a lot of people were not impressed with LR's lag and time to do everything...and I was sitting here wondering what the fuss was about. Then I upgraded! I might have to look at some of my workflows/settings at some stage. For now it is OK as I am working on 5DII size files - but if I upgrade my camera to something with larger files I suspect I will feel it more.

4. abulghadab

abulghadab Member

I found that creating new catalogues when LR starts grinding to a halt when you are editing multiple photos helps a lot.

5. Athiril

Athiril Member

I’m mostly using Lightroom on ipad now... and when I use it on my laptop it tends to be cc because it’s a lot faster

6. connico

connico Member

I had a dated computer running 4 cores....

I upgraded to 6 cores, More Ram and SSD for my photo workflow and everything seemed so much faster...was a huge improvement

7. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

I'm using Capture One for a change and it seems very snappy with a good mix of added functionality (separate layers on photos ala Photoshop for one). The LR interface is far more intuitive IMO though and I still prefer it. I think that's also a bit more than just the usual transition woes - I think some things are just genuinely better set out in Lightroom.

8. Xang

Xang Member

You realise you can re-arrange the C1 workspace to however you like? They even have a default workspace available to emulate LR.

9. UnexpectedError

UnexpectedError Member

Ah, I had read that but also completely forgot about it. I'll try it out. The one thing I will say is that it seems like a very customisable software package. My biggest gripe is not being able to view all files in a subfolder structure (e.g. you click on 2020 and only see the sub folders, not all the photos in the sub folder).

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It does. Try something different:
    https://www.darktable.org/

11. Xang

Xang Member

The file management is definitely the main area where LR is a bit stronger. It's nothing C1 couldn't update over time, and over the last ~18 months since I swapped I've been pleasantly surprised with the usefulness of the updates. LR updates over the last few years have focused on tiny things that aren't very applicable, while leaving absolutely key components (like keyboard shortcuts) out again and again.

12. OP
    OP
    Munki

Munki Member

Alright I threw in another 16GB of RAM at it and seems to have satiated LR Classic's demands. I'm going to try Darktable also to see how it compares. Have tried CaptureOne but didn't like it lacked lens profiles for Pentax, but I actually liked C1's processed images more.

13. Athiril

Athiril Member

Im still using 8GB :Paranoid:

14. OP
    OP
    Munki

Munki Member

What kind of files are you processing? These K1 DNG files feel massive compared to my old K5 files. I mean, 16MP vs 36MP I guess...

15. Athiril

Athiril Member

A7s :Paranoid:

Although I do have some large tiff 6x7cm scans which seem fine.

I started using Lightroom CC though which I feel is faster, although tbh I do most of the work on my iPad Pro which runs Lightroom a lot faster. Despite having less ram, and similar amount of processing power as my laptop (i7-4720).

Honestly I get the feeling it doesnt need to be this slow and theyve just gotten extremely lazy and made their software extremely bloated and inefficient, maybe theyre using python and javascript or something. We used to do this shit in 2008 in Lightroom just fine on similar sized raw files, on spinning HDs, no SSDs, less ram, and I remember I had a Core 2 Quad Q6600.

16. OP
    OP
    Munki

Munki Member

Well, when I use LR4, it's significantly faster and less intensive on memory usage, so it's definitely Lightroom Classic that must have some inefficient coding.

17. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Ios means they can code specifically for the hardware and OS.
    Lightroom is still stuck with x86 architecture and needs to work with millions of hardware combos so yeah there is a lot to do with the legacy.

I built a budget PC and it smashes through d850 files without an issue, PC hardware is cheap these days so not too much of an excuse for not having a bit more grunt.

18. CeeAyeEee

CeeAyeEee Member

Read a recent youtube comment "keep in mind that Lightroom is NOT constructed to do many local changes using this approach — Adobe’s website explicitly states this. I have tried this approach and it seemed useful until my well equipped iMac Pro was being ground to a halt. Processing power including graphics was not the issue. I learned that many brush strokes and local adjustments were the culprit. Adobe states one should use a pixel based editor like Photoshop with many local adjustments and brushes. When I use Photoshop for many such edits my Mac has no issue. Im sure Anthony’s approach is fine on a limited scale but major / multiple edits require Photoshop or something similar. Lets hope Adobe beefs up Lightroom’s efficiency in dealing with local adjustments to allow for greater capability."

19. Athiril

Athiril Member

I don’t agree there, because the same tasks require more processing power. Older software didn’t suddenly get slower on newer hardware or become incompatible. Modern software just becomes slower and slower.

20. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

This was in regards to general performance windows vs iOS
    more features etc has of course made it slower or more reliant on processing power, same as games and most productivity software - like comparing Office 2007 to 2016