Lightroom Pano DNG files are huge

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by fengtianrui, Feb 9, 2018.

1. fengtianrui

fengtianrui Member

I have quite a lot sets of CR2s shot with 5D Mark IV and TS-E 17mm f/4L. Each set contains 2 or 3 photos by shifting the lens at the same scene. I need to merge each set in Lightroom Panorama in order to create a super wide angle of view @ 17mm perspective.

The file size of the output DNG is huge compared to the source file. For example,

2 x 35MB CR2 source files (6720x4480) become a 117MB DNG file (6738x5738)
    3 x 38MB CR2 source files (6720x4480) become a 210MB DNG file (6582x8796)

I can then output both DNG files to lossy compressed DNGs just under 20MB.

My question is how I can easily merge to lossless DNG with reasonable file size? Lightroom and Photoshop do not seem to have lossless DNG compression.

2. Michael H

Michael H Member

Let me now when you work it out. My files are always big.

3. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

My archival raws / edited files are always huge.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  4. TwinII

TwinII Member

I don't know the workflow so well, but can you convert to TIFF and then make sure you don't compress - and you won't have compression. Chances are these files will be larger than the DNG though!

5. OP
    OP
    fengtianrui

fengtianrui Member

Most Camera Makes have their own RAW file format with lossless compression. In this case CR2 captured should have higher compression ratio than DNG. However, if you convert CR2 to DNG, unsually the DNG will become smaller which makes me think that DNG is more efficient. However, it is not the case in Panorama DNG.

6. OP
    OP
    fengtianrui

fengtianrui Member

In other word, there is no such a DNG lossless compression standard from Adobe yet...

7. mr_wrxman

mr_wrxman Member

You could always export and re-import, I personally wouldn't bother with the effort. Buy an extra hard drive and move those files over. It's only about 50% in size increase, how many panorama's are you shooting? Delete the source CR2's and that'll save some space.

Once you export for upload or viewing, do you really need the file to be accessible?

8. OP
    OP
    fengtianrui

fengtianrui Member

Since I used TS-E 17mm lens for the whole month trip in Europe mainly for architecture, I do have heaps, and took 6000+ shots with more than 250GB of CR2. The shift axis on the lens has become loose after these shots...

I think I would rather keep all source CR2s instead of the Pano DNGs which I will only use to output JPGs temporarily and then delete. Who knows if CR2s can be stitched up in a better way than the current Pano DNG just like we would not be able to even do RAW panorama before. If we have deleted source CR2s, we would have never been able to create RAW panorama out of those CR2s.

9. Shotkit

Shotkit New Member

Bit of a workaround, but try batch editing the RAWs individually (use auto-match exposure), export as JPEGs at full quality, then reimport and photo merge.

quwackers likes this.
  10. quwackers

quwackers Member

Does this feature only effect the exposure slider or will it affect the highlights/shadows/whites/blacks as well?

11. quwackers

quwackers Member

I think you've posted this in the wrong thread :lol:

12. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Indeed ill move it!