1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Link's Awakening - Switch - 2019

Discussion in 'Nintendo Consoles' started by power, Feb 14, 2019.

1. samos

samos Member

I never played Links Awakening. Shock horror. Am looking forward to this. If you don't have the nostalgia factor, going to play the original sometimes doesn't give the same buzz so I am cool with the reloaded version.

I stuck my nose up at Wind Waker cell shading originally, but it worked and I ended up loving the game, too.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The more obscure the visual art style of a game, the more interested I am.

Realism is wonderful, but ironically it just makes games all end up looking samey. Unusual art styles and focused visual design result in some really interesting games, as the feeling and mood filter through the entire experience.

samos likes this.
  3. samos

samos Member

Very true. In fact, I remember Wind Waker better than most of the other Zelda titles to be honest. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are quite hazy, and I could get the two easily confused. But WW sticks out like a sore thumb.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  4. elvis

Consider interesting games like Borderlands, Okami, MadWorld, and others. All of those are made *more* interesting because of their visual style.

This remake of Link's Awakening is polarising people pretty heavily with its visual style. As many "love" comments as "hate" comments here and on the socials. But either way, it's interesting.

I get that lots of people are nostalgic for pixel art (myself included). But I don't think it needs to be set in stone that a remake of a game needs to keep an identical visual style. Experimenting with different design within the same universe is a good way to explore different emotion in a game.

Consider the whole premise of Link's Awakening (spoiler alert), and making everything feel hazy and out of focus around the edges, and like little toys (the whole idea being manipulation and "uncanny valley" surrealism) within the focussed areas fits in well, I think.

Design is more complex than just "it looks pretty". I feel that Nintendo typically do a good job of well thought out game design in their true Japanese minimalist style. I have faith this will come out looking and feeling OK when it's done.

5. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

look i don't hate the style but it's a little derivative. To be clear I will most likely play and enjoy it but it's a little safe at this stage. On top of that, it plays to the Switches weakness which means you go art style and design over fidelity. To be clear I'm not complaining about that just mentioning it.

6. elvis

That's true of everything Nintendo has ever done. Their entire history has been taking old (read: cheap) hardware and doing very interesting things with it.

I say again: they are Japanese minimalism personified. They are the zen rock garden or banzai tree of video game design. And I love that they exist *because* of that, not in spite of it.

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

not really, that's Nintendo post Gamecube. Or if you want to be more accurate post gamecube but also all through their handhelds. Nintendo did minimal all through the handheld line. I think they really went the other way in the living room when then kicked Sony to the curb.

8. elvis

Nah. N64 was the one exception in a long line of "let's take cheap/slow hardware and make clever games" decisions. Even the GameCube was commodity IBM/Motorola hardware at half the clockspeed of what was on the market elsewhere in the same architecture.

Game and Watch, NES, SNES, GameBoy, GBA and DS were all very old, late-market tech. All of them notably slower than their competitors' hardware at any given point in time (the NES and SNES were both 50% the speed of their competitors from a pure clockspeed point of view, which translated into cheaper to manufacture hardware).

Both the Game and Watch and GameBoy were literally left-over desktop calculator hardware that was re-purposed into gaming machines!

The notable difference was Nintendo sell EVERYTHING at a profit. Sega, Sony and Microsoft all went with the "razor blade" finance model of selling hardware at a loss to recoup in game sales.

9. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I dunno, the SNES was pretty beefy and the Gamecube packed a lot of punch in that little purple box!!

End of the day, they were a toy company who also make software. I agree for the most part, and especially after Sony and MS came along they stopped trying to play in the same space.

10. elvis

Nope. Both consoles were extremely underpowered (I repeat - the SNES was half the clockspeed of the Megadrive!). What you're seeing are people who had the creativity to design to the limits of their resources, rather than just bitch about things not being powerful enough to do what they want. The end result is well beyond what you'd expect from those very slow machines, simply because the people developing for them were so creative.

The tricks and techniques used are well documented. Watch any of the videos out there on how people coded for the SNES. Some of them are mind blowing feats of both art and engineering that are outside of the grasp of 99.99% of people.

Ask me again why I'm so bored of #PCMasterRace and all their whining that things just need to be faster faster faster. :)

11. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I don't rate raw power over clever software and custom chips :) The ST had a faster processor but the Amiga had better games..... custom chippies like the blitter made short work of the clockspeed advantage there.

i have however heard how some devs responded to the GC at the time, think it was the devs who worked on the launch SW title. Also the raw 3d power of the PS1 was outclassed by people who knew how to put the complex Saturn hw to good use - anyway the game.

I still think it's derivative and not terribly imaginative, BUT still looks ok. It's a case of matching the SW to the HW which Nintendo always does well.

12. midonnay

midonnay Member

First zelda game I ever played.

I remember the opening cinematic was really well animated for something on the gameboy.

elvis likes this.
  13. elvis

Man, I'm totally in love with the art style being used.

Couple of special editions being announced.

US "Dreamer Edition" with art book:

zeuro.jpg

And a European Limited Edition with art book and steel case in the shape of an original Gameboy. I hope we get this one here in AU!

D8zKkajU8AAWfkx.jpeg

14. empacitator

empacitator Member

I'm generally not that into limited editions/deluxe editions of games but those look really good- will definitely pick up one of those. Have such great memories of this game as a kid. And my 11 year old son is excited too so that's fun

samos and elvis like this.
  15. elvis

Ditto. I love sharing this hobby with my kids. :)

samos and empacitator like this.
  16. simontifik

simontifik Member

I’m digging the art style too:

5DCC3CB6-D655-4B8E-B497-34AC82CEB0E4.jpeg

elvis likes this.
  17. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Good news, looks like it:
    https://twitter.com/vooksdotnet/status/1138523387632934912

I have to say. I hate this art style even more now than I did at announcement.. It's like a 9 year old fan was put in charge of remaking the game.
    I mean, graphics aren't everything but JESUS. WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK???? it's like they saw a funko pop of link, and thought FUCKING PERFECT DESIGN CHOICE!!
    And the most infuriating thing of the whole lot.. I'll still buy it because Links Awakening was a phenomenal game, And I have no question it still will be..
    Just wish it didn't look like Fisher Price my first Zelda.
    ungh/grumbles incoherently about the collectors edition that I will inevitably buy anyway.

Don't usually give a shit about collectors editions, and the artbook I will literally never even look at.. BUT I WANT THAT STEELBOOK!!
    I want that steelbook as much as I want the shitty looking game!

18. elvis

Hooray!

I'm old, so I remember when wooden toys and TV Christmas stop-motion specials looked like this. So I'm fond of the style.

Song-JingleJingleJingle.jpg

Funko Pops are what a lot of people equate this with now, but folks need to remember they weren't new. This style has been around for ages (go back to wooden Smurfs toys in the 1950s that my mother grew up with, and plastic remakes from the late 70s that I grew up with).

ddf406209c94dbcf3e15ad1a76528cc6.jpg

But, beyond that, what would you prefer? Honest question - if this game got a modern remake and the requirement was 3D (yes, I know we all want 2D pixel art, but let's pretend like we're real world designers dealing with real world executive boards and their dumb shit) - what would you choose instead? Hyper-realistic? Stylised? Cell shaded? Voxels? Something else?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    power likes this.
  19. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Edit: I accidentally deleted my long winded reply just as I hit submit, but the gist:
    I'd take a Breath of the wild Style, followed by cel shading.

To be clear I'm not a fan of many Zelda games. Only 2 so far.. But BOTW looked amazing, and you can never go wrong with cel shading. Wind waker and Phantom hourglass looked amazing even if I couldn't play more than an hour of them.

(Even if they just ported the game and kept it the same but make the overview widescreen it would have been more appealing to me than the current style)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  20. elvis

I'll make sure I tell that one to the millions of people who vocally hated Wind Waker. :)

If there's one thing that gaming reinforces for me, it's that you can't please all of the people all of the time. :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    FIREWIRE1394 likes this.