Linux app for snapping windows into "Zones"

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by The Sentinel, Sep 20, 2020.

1. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Hi folks.
    I've recently purchased an Odyssey G9.

Loving all the extra screen real-estate when using it in non-gaming activities (95% of the time).
    Support for window placement and snapping is great in Windows (either the Samsung software or Fancy Zones in Windows Powertools [https://www.onmsft.com/how-to/how-to-use-fancyzones-windows-10s-new-tiling-window-manager]).

Unfortunately I've not seen anything like this for Linux.
    Something where you can define different (or even equal)-sized zone/tiles into which windows can be snapped using the keyboard or mouse.
    For example, four equal zones across the screen or three equal zones and then a fourth split into two smaller windows on the right hand size.

While it is relatively easy to manually size windows to suit, a program for Linux like the ones mentioned above would make using this monitor effortless in Linux.

Is anyone able to suggest a Linux app that helps in this way?

2. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I dont, but the kind of thing you're describing is entirely windowmanager dependent in linux, and varies *wildly* between WM's and desktop managers. In tiling window managers like i3/xmonad/awesome/etc it's kind of *the default and only* way of doing things. So you'll need to specify what desktop you're talking about to find better resources on it

neogeo likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

I'm running Linux Mint 19.3 but I'm not really that committed to a particular (mainstream) Desktop/WM combination other than one that helps me make the most of this monitor.

4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Quadbox likes this.
  5. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

If you want to try out tiling windowmanagers in linux, bear in mind most of them are bare bones and are assuming you'll roll a lot of stuff yourself and are comfortable in the console, and at the very least with a scripting language. i3 is probably the most used, awesome and xmonad are also widely used, there's a shitload of smaller less used ones, some of which take the paradigm to serious extremes (ratpoison et all)

In some cases it's possible to use one as the underlying WM for a full blown desktop environment, but I've not much played with that myself because DEs are the devil incarnate :p

6. OP
    OP
    The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Yes very funny Gumby :)
    I tried many combinations of search terms but didn't find anything overly helpful.
    Unfortunately none of them included the phrase "tiling window manager".

7. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://github.com/erikdubois/i3-installation-on-latest-linux-mint

PS Microsoft is being very original of late by copying everything Linux has done for over 20 years.

8. OP
    OP
    The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Yes, hence me asking about an application that does that.
    I'd prefer something that's more baked into one the more mainstream DE than having to build something up from scratch.
    As much as I'm all for light DEs, i3 and xmonad are pretty primitive compared to the standard offering on most distros.

9. OP
    OP
    The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Thanks Gumby. Will take a look at that.

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

3 part video on i3 WM install

11. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

12. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

13. RnR

RnR Member

14. cvidler

cvidler Member

If you're happy with the Gnome3 style desktop, there's an extension specifically to map the same Windows key and behaviour
    https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1723/wintile-windows-10-window-tiling-for-gnome/

I don't like tiling managers (being able to hot key something to one side or the other and between workspaces is enough for me - big fan of workspaces, have 9 on the go all the time), been using dual 4k monitors for years now, you get used to the extra real estate.

flu!d likes this.
  15. flu!d

Virtual workspaces is what I use, I have applications pinned to certain workspaces. As a result I've found I've been able to drop from dual 1920 x 1200 monitors to a single 4k monitor and my workflow is more efficient.

16. flu!d

Just an update, the latest release of KDE Neon 5.20 allows the snapping of Windows to segments of the screen in a tiling fashion using the meta & arrow keys. Works quite well.

17. OP
    OP
    The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

Just getting back to this again.
    Thanks for the suggestion Flu1d.

I'm more interested in getting everything on the one screen rather than having multiple workspaces, given the screen real-estate the G9 has.

Will take a look at this over the weekend.

18. flu!d

A quick demo...