1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Linux based Shared storage?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by QuakeDude, Apr 24, 2012.

1. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Hey Guys,

Got an interesting problem here - we've been asked to provide a storage solution for a new application being rolled out. The requirements are as follows:

1) Linux based (Redhat enterprise)
    2) provide a way to effectively share the same hard disk between three servers
    3) VMware backend

The purpose if this is to provide maximum performance and availability for the three application servers. Network mapping may end up being too slow a solution, which is why they've requested a way to do this by sharing the same "drive" between the three servers.

We're not redhat experts, but from what we can tell, Redhat has a cluster suite which includes the various services and a cluster aware filesystem. Is this the best way to do this?

2. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

so does NFS constitute "network mapping"? No? Problem solved!

Do you have shared storage already (ie a SAN)?

If so, is RDM an option (ie present the LUN to the guests directly, NOT the hypervisor)? If so, then pick your favourite linux clustered file system and away you go.

If your storage is effectively local to esx and you don't want to create a storage appliance, then maybe you can apply this trick:- http://professionalvmware.com/2010/04/shared-vmdks-on-vsphere-esx-and-esxi/ THis is a bit of a hack though, and if its a business critical app, you probably want the software vendor to provide a design guide. eg, I don't think Microsoft officially supports this method for cluster services, even though people have gotten it to work.

3. pineappl2

pineappl2 Member

A clustered filesystem will be slower than one nfs server. The cluster will sync writes across all nodes, which is a lot more i/o. Clusters are optimal on physical boxes not esx, unless you lock/guarantee cpu/disk resources.

i would suggest an nfs server guest and let esx handle the high availability. Since its esx, you can just run up a guest & see what performace is like.

When you say share a disk, do all servers have to see the data at the same time ? ie the same app on all 3 ?

4. OP
    OP
    QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Interesting info guys,will go through this with the guys when Im back in tomorrow.

Yeah, we've been told by the software vendor that all three servers have to see the "same" disk from a redundancy point of view. They've been pushing the concept of "Shared SAN storage" for a while now, without being able to actually explain how we are supposed to achieve this technically.

In short - they're useless :lol:

5. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

RedHat recently bought Gluster, and now have this offering as a commercial product:

http://www.redhat.com/products/storage/storage-software/

Gluster really requires a minimum of 2-4 storage nodes to be effective. It can export volumes via a native Gluster client, or as NFS or CIFS mounts.

If you've only got a single storage node, I'd go with just a standard RHEL box exporting everything via NFS, due to the VMWare requirement.

If you were using KVM or Xen, I'd suggest RHEL+iSCSI as another option.

6. passivekid

passivekid Member

When exporting iSCSI, do I a seperate iSCSI share for each VM?

7. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

I prefer that for better I/O performance when using KVM and Xen, but there's pros and cons to it (like everything).

I'm told recent ESX builds have sorted some of their iSCSI problems out, but I also still hear that NFS is still faster, which makes me question that.

8. Iceman

Iceman Member

Push back, ask them for specifics as to what their software is most often implemented on.

9. username_taken

username_taken Member

don't forget that if you're going to run vmware enterprise edition on shared storage you'll get redundancy / high availability without needing to do anything at the application. Worst case even if you lose the physical server that it's running on it'll just restart on another server and you'll just lose 5 minutes of uptime and break any existing sessions.