1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Linux file saved in shared drive is not accessible to Windows users

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Multiplexer, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I managed to mount a Synology drive to Linux using below command

sudo nano /etc/fstab
    192.168.9.1:/volume1/file /mnt/file nfs noauto,x-systemd.automount 0 0

sudo chmod 777 /mnt/file

The issue now is when a bittorrent client save a file, that file is not accessible to Windows users. How can I resolve this?

2. schnappy

schnappy Member

How are Windows users trying to access it, and can they list the contents of the share/linux directory? I have never used NFS but you might want SMB/CIFS to integrate with Windows networks. Even across Linux systems I find SMB really good.

You will then also need to configure smb users but that's easy just make smb/linux/windows users all the same and you can't go wrong. Then make sure SMB share, linux filesystem permissions are in sync.

is /volume1/file a file or a directory?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  3. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Also test that Linux boxen can access the shared folder via SMB too (eg: in Nautilus, navigate to smb://servername/path/to/share) - if it can't, then the problem is not Windows (for a change).

4. OP
    OP
    Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I have solve my issue.

I have a I have a synology mounted to raspberry pi using NFS. I have configured Deluge to save downloaded file to the Synology. The issue is my Windows desktop cannot access the file.

I managed to solve the issue by following the instruction from https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-deluge/

Initial failure is because I use /etc/rc.local to startup.

By following above link I changed the startup systemd and set UMask=000 and it solve my issue.