Linux for an Apple Refugee in 2018?

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by holdennutta, Nov 7, 2018.

1. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Why would you do this when you are moving off Apple software on Apple hardware?

[​IMG]

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

At this point in time, I think both are more work than just learning Linux, TBH.

I mean, it can be fun. But I've gone down that road at the request of people who wanted to do real work on these things, and they gave up after too many frustrations and constant exceptions.

flu!d likes this.
  4. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

5. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

He's not, though. He's looking to ditch all his apple hardware all together. He likes macOS, but doesn't want Apple hardware anymore and was looking for linux as an alternative to macOS that he could run on generic hardware. So I was suggesting running macOS on non apple hardware, either directly (hackintosh) or in VirtualBox.

Both work. I've had a hackintosh in the past, and have an older version of macOS installed in VirtualBox for mac specific dev stuff.[/QUOTE]

6. clonex

clonex Member

first world problem?

7. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Correct.
    oooh- I didn't know that was a thing. Could be quite helpful for running DevonThink which I use for all my digital document management and I just remembered the licence cost $200 about 6mo ago and doesn't have a linux version...

Too right! I have a good, secure job and live in Australia. I'd better fucking hope I only have first world problems! Would you have me continue throwing extra money away on Apple hardware?

In other news - I'm kind of enjoying running Ubuntu in the VM. However it's still obnoxiously slow so I'm going to grab a cheap SSD tomorrow and run it dual boot for a while to get a proper appreciation :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Been using it solidly since I last posted.

It runs quite well. Ubuntu is pretty solid but the launcher thing is a pig. Really don't like how you're forced to use a dumb iPhone style grid of apps launcher thing. I'll have to look into how I can change that for something less yuck.

9. elvis

You can customise your entire desktop experience under Linux. The Ubuntu family does this by offering different desktop releases, such as:

* Kubuntu with the KDE/Plasma desktop
    * Xubuntu with the XFCE desktop
    * Lubuntu with the LXDE desktop
    * Gnobuntu with the Gnome desktop

And more. You can add these to your existing install via installing the meta package associated with that desktop, for example:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    Will install the entire Kubuntu setup (KDE/Plasma plus all the recommended tools that go with that) side by side with your standard one. From there you can choose which desktop you want at the login screen. But worth at least checking out screenshots of each to see if one takes your fancy, before diving into a hefty install.

Each have their pros and cons, and which is best for you is entirely subjective. Where I work, we roll out the Kubuntu desktop as our SOE, and people seem happy enough with it.

holdennutta likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Thanks, Elvis. I didn't realise you could tack them on like that. I assumed it was a new install kind of thing...

Will investigate!

11. elvis

Without trying to sound like a complete evangelist, that's the beauty of Linux. The choice on what you run and how you run it is entirely yours.

12. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

It's also a downside for regular people who're maybe not super keen to go tinkering. But that's not really Linux' fault either.

I think because I installed Ubuntu 18.10 I'll have to wait a bit to try the other versions. Most are based on 18.04 LTS and I'm guessing I can't sorta downgrade as easily as an apt-get command...

13. elvis

Sadly downgrading isn't supported. Upgrading is easy, as that's a nice side effect of package patching.

But yeah, many of the different desktop releases concentrate on the LTS releases, as they're often community driven and don't have the resources to maintain many versions with major releases every 6 months.

14. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

dmenu style (rofi et al) launchers are much, much better IMO.

15. elvis

My "customers" are artists. Extremely visual types. Don't even use a mouse, all Wacom input.

But yes, there are much more efficient launchers out there for people not attached to pointing devices.

16. shredder

shredder Member

Side note: Recently I read ROC* which said that apt-get was "somewhat deprecated" (..if I correctly recall what was said), and that it was usually better to use apt instead. Correct/wrong/doesn't matter?

*Random Online Crap

17. elvis

All works the same at this point. If they want to deprecate it, they'll remove the command, and I'll learn the new one.

Both tools update the repository cache the same, add and remove packages the same, deal with dependencies the same. The man pages even point to the same reading resources. If it is being deprecated, it appears to be a slow burn.

18. shredder

shredder Member

Based on my small experience of the matter: I traditionally used basic apt-get commands to update my Ubuntu box but, over time, some kind of (to me inconsequential) repository changes required manual intervention and editing of config files - the internet's suggested solution was to simply substitute apt for apt-get, and it (unlike apt-get) threw up an easy Y/N prompt to accept the aforementioned changes - which made my life easier.

Therefore, insofar as software exists to make my life easier, apt gets my vote as an end-user; and from other ROC I read whilst briefly researching this topic, apt is designed as such (i.e. for the end-user).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  19. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I use apt as opposed to apt-get as it means I get to type 4 characters less... ;)

holdennutta likes this.
  20. elvis

grammar-nazi.gif

flu!d likes this.