Linux for an Apple Refugee in 2018?

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by holdennutta, Nov 7, 2018.

1. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

elvis likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Seems Kubuntu 18.10 is out. So I just starting that downloading/installing.

Looks a lot nicer than the Standard Ubuntu thing.

Edit: Installed. Much better!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    elvis likes this.
  3. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

APT integrates search functionality and is able to handle some exceptions requiring input of explicit permissions (stable repos rolling over to a new release, for instance). Aside from that, it pretty much works like APT-GET. However, as the interface is not yet completely stabilized, I would avoid using it for scripting.

The upshot is, I like it and I suspect it will be an easy slide for most (all?) users.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    shredder likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Oh boy.... Bought a new RTX 2070 graphics card today.

Swapped it in (replaced a GTX 970) and windows was perfectly happy. But Ubuntu doesn't like it. No option except 1024x768. No option for nvidia proprietary drivers in the software manager. It seems to have simply disappeared.

I'm sure with fiddling I could get it back but I think what I'll just do is wipe the thing and fresh install Kubuntu instead of the kybrid U/Kubuntu thing I have now.

I get a lot of messages on shutdown now about PKS not trusted key or something similar.

5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Aside from HW shenanigans the main obstacle is usually apps. Work out whether there's enough native or webapp equivalents to your use-case and go from there. There's usually a good enough HW choice if you're willing to tolerate some fiddling and doing research homework before buying (though sometimes you just won't be able to keep at the bleeding edge).

If you already have a windows PC then just dual boot it to test the water, no loss. (but I haven't tried it with Win10 so I dunno if there's any shenanigans involved).

re: linux in a VMs, with any modern system with SSD etc. you won't really notice the hit in regular use, assuming you're not doing photoshop stuff or anything heavy like that.

Either way I'd just try it (dual boot or VM) and see before committing, lest you end up one of the guys in the buy/sell forums going "i only used this otherwise brand new XPS13 for only a week" lol. You want to be super comfortable on your daily driver, I for one wouldn't compromise (though as grudging Windows user arguably the entire Windows experience is a compromise, but I digress)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  6. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

Rtx works in Ubuntu 18. Download the .run file for the Linux 64bit driver from the NVIDIA website. Don't forget to chmod it to be executable and then run it as Sudo from the script. Will take 2 minutes.

shredder likes this.
  7. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Noooo! Don't download any .run file, this is a recipe for disaster!

Add the official driver PPA and install via apt:

https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

A far easier and reliable process. Easier than the same process under Windows.

self_slaughter and elvis like this.
  8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Agreed.

Nvidia do stupid things in Linux. Like clobbering open source OpenGL libs with theirs, which then get overwritten again with future patches, and break your system (black screen at login).

The PPAs flu!d listed do smart things like move the default locations, and keep your system patch safe. Much better than running Nvidia's very stupid .run files.

flu!d likes this.
  9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

elvis likes this.
  10. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Xubuntu (or just install XFCE) is worth looking into - my favourite distro, and a bit lighter than standard Ubuntu. But the UI is more reasonable than most linux ui's.

11. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Thanks for that. I added the repo and updated the sources. Now it has greyed out options for the new drivers but it says I'm using a manually installed driver (im not - I'm using the nvidia driver ubuntu installs by default when you select drivers from 3rd party sources) and it wont let me change it from that.

Sounds like the PPAs are the way to go then.

Will check this one out too, ta.

12. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Additional Drivers should update to show the newly added drivers depending on hardware. I'm not too sure what Nvidia card you're running, but personally I never use Additional Drivers - I use terminal.

Here's a screenshot of my Additional Drivers screen:

[​IMG]

- Open a terminal Window.
    - Enter the following (copy/paste) for the very latest drivers, bearing in mind that I have no idea what hardware you are running and these drivers may not be compatible.

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install nvidia-415

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  13. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

RTX 2070 is what I'm using. Initially installed the OS with a GTX970 and said okay to using the 3rd party nvidia driver in ubuntu setup.

This is my additional driver screen. The options are there but greyed out. I also never manually installed a driver.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a5.jpg

And trying to install using apt gives an error. I think changing cards broke it.
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60a4.jpg

14. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Try running the updater, that should tell you what to do to rectify broken packages. Otherwise, 'sudo apt install -f' without the quotes may rectify your issue.

EDIT: Looking at that Additional Drivers screen, are you sure you didn't manually install the Nvidia driver using the .run method?

15. mrjayviper

mrjayviper Member

mac user here as well (several MBPs (2010s, a 2016, a 2017 and a Mac Pro trashcan)..

I've tried several but I find deepin the most usable (and prettiest. maybe this is why I chose it over the others) :)

----

virtualbox available in the official repo if you want to use that

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  16. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

This did the trick! Thanks mate

flu!d likes this.
  17. shredder

shredder Member

Problem owned :thumbup:

18. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Not a problem in the world my friend! ;)