Linux Gaming

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by GumbyNoTalent, Jan 10, 2008.

1. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

2. DerekP

DerekP Member

3. flu!d

4. flu!d

While I'm not really that into 'modern gaming' these days, I have to say Ruiner is good old fashioned mindless fun with great graphics and performance!

[​IMG]

5. Statitica

Statitica Member

Company of Heroes 2 is now ported to Linux/SteamOS.

Unfortunately, it won't let me backup the windows version, and restore in Linux. And I can't get it to run on Wine.

Pity, cos my wife will likely strangle me if I download 28.5GB in one hit.

EDIT:

The Red Eclipse runs fantastically via WINE, and is good for a bit of mindless point and click action.

But 0 A.D. (alpha 22) is quite the hit in my house at the moment. I just wish they would concentrate more on mechanics and performance than on prettier graphics (especially seeing as it will look dated before it's done).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018 at 10:33 PM
    flu!d likes this.
  6. DerekP

DerekP Member

It's been reported elsewhere too.

7. Statitica

Statitica Member

For is it any different to partnering with game Devs and having "NVIDIA, the way it's meant to be played" splashed across the screen? Or the same with AMD's mantle?

Edit: referencing off the record conversations is poor journalism; anecdotal at best, and BS at worst.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 7:13 PM
  8. flu!d

Only as a result of Kyle Bennett's original article though.

At the end of the day people have choices, if they choose to stick with Windows because 100% games, than you accept the drawbacks of the platform. I don't accept the drawbacks and moved on to something better.

9. DerekP

DerekP Member

Err... yeah?! Did you not read it? Further research indicates that ASUS, for example, would not be allowed to use their gaming brand for AMD cards. A brand name they've spent much time developing. There's not much certainty yet as officials don't seem to be saying much. Damage control perhaps? Being careful at least, otherwise they'd all be chatting about how awesome it is.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/03/07/geforce_partner_program_impacts_consumer_choice

Right. It's how a LOT of news becomes public initially. Some of it is later proved accurate, some is later proved misleading or completely wrong. Sometimes it's the only way to get a story started. This might not be accurate (time will tell) but the response here is surprising. Sure - based on this alone we don't all go out an burn Nvidia cards, but we should pause and research (unless you either don't care enough for it to affect your purchasing decisions or you don't get why it matters - and i'm not judging here, just saying it how it is. Not everyone wants to bother checking into such things).

I can respect Flu!d's comment re "grain of salt" although it doesn't particularly matter if he's anti-Nvidia, but his track record on reporting does. I'd like to know if he's reported other news that turned out to be false (noting that journalists, if he can be called that, sometimes report incorrectly).

also

10. flu!d

I'm not saying there's not any truth to the claims of Nvidia's underhanded tactics, as I'm sure there is. I'm just saying, understand that Kyle Bennett is trying to look like the one with the scoop on a company he has had falling's out with in the past in order to attract visitors to his website in order to make up for lost revenue due to adblockers.

A grain of salt.

11. DerekP

DerekP Member

Yep, all good and i get it. I posted another link since your comment and the author of that hasn't been able to get comment from Nvidia, or any 'on the record' comments from various vendors, and refers to a document he says he has seen, and he seems to concur with the intent indicated by Kyle. Sadly he doesn't link the document. Either he's full of it, or he's afraid of possible repercussions.

On this, if i were ASUS, i'd consider creating a new gaming brand for Nvidia... but that costs.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 8:15 PM
    flu!d likes this.
  12. Statitica

Statitica Member

I skimmed through. It's the type of thing which I don't worry too much about, because I can't do much about it besides wait for the final outcome and then make my purchasing decisions accordingly.

Comments made off the record, are made that way for a reason. If I told you something off the record, and you published it, noting that it was off the record, how many more conversations do you think I would be having with you?

13. [MadHatteR]

[MadHatteR] Member

I've been playing Surviving Mars lately (http://store.steampowered.com/app/464920/Surviving_Mars/) made by same mob as Tropico, published by Paradox (who also did Cities Skylines). Has some interesting gameplay mechanics which makes building a survivable habitat on Mars quite interesting, very active Steam workshop which adds a ton of replayability/tweaking, and most importantly, runs very nicely under Ubuntu.