Linux Gaming

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by GumbyNoTalent, Jan 10, 2008.

1. tensop

tensop Member

its been an interesting rise.. 18 years ago linux on the desktop was never going to happen, and now it's no longer relevant (for me at least), which is kind of annoying... always had a nice little utopia in my head regarding the whole thing, but one thing to take from it all is that Linux will outlive MS as they fade in to irrelevance. Didn't think i'd be typing that in 2000.

There's only two things holding me on to windows, and oddly its the same two things it was in 2000.. gaming and productivity applications. Games are sort of irrelevant for me these days as id rather just watch a tv show,podcast or a movie, and MS Office, despite its flaws - Does what it does quite well - especially outlook. It'd probably be a frozen over hell the day MS release a build for linux :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Based on what I'm reading around the internet, desktop Linux is improving at a far faster rate than it was in the past. A vast amount of software is now available cross platform, as a gaming platform Linux by far exceeds macOS and it's a situation that's improving all the time. People's awareness of desktop Linux is growing all the time.

Windows 10 is the OS no one wants. It's UI sucks, it's updating process is a mess, it limits the end users control over their own PC and shares personal data 'at OS level' - Even Nvidia's drivers are a privacy nightmare under Windows. If it wasn't for the fact that you can't purchase a new OEM desktop or laptop without Windows 10 preinstalled it's adoption would still be floundering behind Windows 7. Microsoft make all their money out of the cloud now using Linux based operating systems, as far as I can tell they don't even care for Windows anymore and would prefer it to be 'Windows as a service' to prop up their cloud based division.

Linux is improving in leaps and bounds while Windows is going backwards at an alarming rate.

Microsoft Office is the worlds least compatible office suite marketed as the worlds most compatible office suite due in part to Microsoft's shameless manipulation of OOXML, if anything Libre Office is actually the most compatible office suite available. If people would change their ways and make more use of ODF, compatibility wouldn't be such an issue, assuming Microsoft Office is actually fully compatible with ODF - Considering there's compatibility issues between differing versions of MS Office itself I doubt this is the case. Although it's been so long since I've made use of such a poor suite I really wouldn't know.

As far as Outlook is concerned, I personally think the Outlook UI is a Dog's breakfast! Furthermore, it struggles with any mail format that's not plain old POP, IMAP or Exchange - Realistically speaking Outlook is simply designed to be a client for Microsoft's Exchange range of products and I find the idea of a single Microsoft SBS sitting in a dusty corner of any small business office supplying the email needs of ~15 people and insisting on utilizing Active Directory and Domain Controller roles a ridiculous point of massive network failure. Host email in the cloud if your organization is that small.

Back on the subject of gaming. DX12 is lackluster and only runs under Windows 10, segregating the gamers that don't care to shift off Windows 7. Vulkan on the other hand runs on almost anything, including Windows 7 and is showing signs of growth as an open API in the gaming marketplace. This time it's not just the consortium pushing the adoption of the open API and failing, as was the case with OGL - It's Valve, Nvidia and AMD pushing harder than ever to increase the adoption of Vulkan and they're doing a pretty good job so far with Proton making Vulkan a very attractive alternative for developers that don't want to waste money and resources developing for platforms other than Windows. Naturally Valve are only looking after their better interests and trying to spread their eggs across more baskets in an attempt to distance themselves from Microsoft's dominance in the gaming marketplace, but who can blame them as such a move makes perfect business sense and helps gamers as a whole.

There are more titles available for Linux under Steam than the number of titles available for PS4 and Xbox combined!

Personally, I give Windows another 10 years before it's a shadow of the Windows people know today and when that happens no one will want to use it - And I don't think Microsoft care. It's not often any company stays 'top dog' in the computing industry forever without completely changing the product they market to their clients; Apple used to be a manufacturer of some great desktop machines in the day, now they're the manufacturer of mobile 'gadgets' and their desktop machines leave little to be desired as thinly veiled x86/64 PC's that no one buys because they're under powered, overheat easily and are priced out of the market.

The other issue with Windows is that it's soooo slow! Linux as an OS is actually considerably faster in almost every situation with the exception of gaming where titles are ported poorly.

3. tensop

tensop Member

Where i think windows 10 blew it all up(privacy issues aside) goes back to windows 8 - MS completely abandoned all the HIG's in an attempt to compete with their perceived threat - the iPad. Linux followed a fair bit with gnome 3. I'm using debian mate on my linux box because the interface and layout is more intuitive..

When you have a start button thats the hub to essentially all interaction with the O/S sitting in the bottom left hand corner for 17 years - ripping it out doesnt really work.. MS realised this and it took until windows 10 to put it back in, in a horribly mutilated way where the search doesnt even work -wtf? :)

What's MS's API like on their xbox lines... is it d3d? do you think if MS were receiving an attack they'd more tightly integrate it in an attempt to dominate how games access the hardware to keep control of one of their core products?

flu!d likes this.
  4. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

The Xbox uses D3D, hence the reason for the 'X' (although an 'X' seems popular with many manufacturers when it comes to the computing industry!)

5. Unframed

Unframed Member

More and more I come to loathe W10.
    Control Panel v Settings. Why the fuck would you split your settings locations?

Updates, as a streamer I dread each update because sure as shit my webcam will be my microphone and my monitor will be my speakers or some shit I never configured.

Forcing games and trash on you, I got a new laptop for work and a computer stick for a DLNA client. Both have a slew of preinstalled games like minecraft and candy crush. Given neither have a whole lot of storage I really don't appreciate all the bloated shit preinstalled.

The start menu, why does it look like an advertisers wet dream by default? You need to spend an hour just getting rid of the crap to make it efficient.

Don't even get me started on the search function now...

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Checked in on this site today. Bloody hell there's a lot of stuff on there. Might be time to actually play a bunch of titles I've somehow amassed (I'm assuming Humble Bundles?).

7. [MadHatteR]

[MadHatteR] Member

About 2500 Linux playable titles already and growing, the rate of progress on Steam Play is also promising, constant upgrades and improvements: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Changelog

The updated URL for the Steam Play unofficial compatibilty list is: https://www.protondb.com/, there is an option to run your public Steam games list through and it'll tell you which Windows ones will run well on Linux

There is also a useful Firefox addon which displays the Steam Play compatibility score on the actual Steam homepage for the game, for convenience: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/proton-city/

8. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Quake Champions is playing brilliantly under Linux via Proton now. Using the Nvidia 396.54.09 Beta drivers the game literally sits at a rock solid 60fps with vsync active. Haven't even tried it without vsync yet.

Skip to ~2:00 to see actual game play. I filmed an entire round to give a true indication of just how the game plays.

Myst and sammy_b0i like this.
  9. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

I just finished Deus Ex - Human Revolution on Linux/Proton. Apart from stutters here and there when shaders were getting compiled, it was quite playable at 4k on RX 480 using Direct X 11 with max details. DXVK really is an amazing piece of work.

flu!d and RnR like this.
  10. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

So what setups are people using for gaming on linux, Desktop Environment wise?

Pretty happy with arch linux now I've gotten to know it and it's quirks. Can get it and all my hardware up and going pretty easily and it's so fast compared to something like linux mint. I've tried a few setups: mate (my favourite so far, much like i remember linux as a kid :)), gnome, kde etc. But can't seem to get everything to work 100%.

Either the games stuttered when windowed or possibly not in exclusive full screen mode, or I could get games smooth by disabling desktop compositing or similar at the expense of the desktop stuttering and make moving windows look like I had just won a game of solitaire back in the 90s. But I just couldn't get both smooth at the same time.

Also fonts seemed to be a big issue for me, some things would be blurry, others crystal clear. KDE was bad for it, some (but not all?) desktop icons would have really blurry fonts, but if I dragged the icon around, the text would come clear until I dropped it back on the desktop. Certain apps/webpages just didn't have any clarity to the fonts and looked completely different to how they appear in windows no matter what I threw at it. Right up to installing all the microsoft ttf fonts ripped from the win10 disc. (ttf-ms-win10 on AUR).

Is it just an nvidia thing? I feel I would have a far better experience if I had an AMD card, I had linux running on my sons computer with an AMD card and had no issues at all, but I really don't want to downgrade hardware to upgrade software. (Hurry up and make a GPU worth buying AMD! :p)

System Specs: i7 8086k / 1080ti (~415.25 nvidia drivers) / 144Hz 1080P monitor.

11. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I'm running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 and as you can see by my video's, things run really well. I'm still using Compiz as my desktop compositor as I honestly find the versatility of Compiz as a WM adds to my productivity - I actually find performance while gaming to be slightly better running Compiz.

Still running the PC in sig. Dual X5675's, Nvidia 980Ti with 396.54.09 drivers, 24GB of ram, 250GB m.2 > pcie SSD, dual 1200p IPS monitors, etc...

Never had an issue with fonts, never had an issue with desktop compositing whatsoever once I'd tweaked Compiz TBH. Mint with it's Muffin compositor is hopeless IMO, especially with Nvidia hardware.

12. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah I could get games to run great, or the desktop to run great. Just couldn't get both at the same time. Looked like things would be trying to run 60fps on a 144Hz monitor and just stuttering to hell as a consequence.

The blurry font thing was the main killer though, Was so annoying. Maybe just a downside to arch linux using such new packages. Might try ubuntu 16.04 just to see how it goes. my poor ssd is getting a flogging lately with all the changes. :p

Played a bit of dirt rally, doom (via wine/proton), cs:go, minecraft (lol). They all ran brilliantly once the compositor was out of the way. Witcher 3 struggled, but could probably fix that up with some slightly lower settings.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  13. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I'm only running 60Hz monitors so it's hard for me to comment re: 144Hz. However, one thing I like about Compiz is the ability to set the refresh rate of the compositor.

[​IMG]

Have you tried force composition pipeline in Nvidia X Server Settings?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  14. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

One thing I forgot to mention, I'm running the 4.18 kernel.

15. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

ahh both of those things sound like they could help. I'll give it another whirl later. Cheers :)

flu!d likes this.
  16. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

No problem at all my friend.

I may get the occasional desktop stutter dragging windows while the system is working hard, but it's so minor blink and you'll miss it. Generally speaking my gaming as well as my desktop experience is very smooth and I have quite a few effects enabled.

self_slaughter likes this.
  17. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Well you've certainly led me down the right path. One step closer to success!

Did a fresh install since I've changed desktops etc. a million times now and made a bit of a mess. Went straight for mate, installed the windows ttf fonts before anything else and everything looks the way it should.

Played with some nvidia settings and with compositing disabled everything is smooth as silk. In both games and at the desktop, whizzing windows around feeling that super smooth refresh rate. :D

With it on I got the 60fps/144Hz crazy stutter in everything, so I tried compiz where i could force it to 144Hz and it worked. Everything was buttery smooth, but unfortunately compiz keeps crapping itself and I couldn't find a way to override the default mate compositors refresh rate. I'll just live with no compositing for now while I experiment with other things. :)

[​IMG]

18. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Here's the fix to Compiz crashing, it's been a problem for a while that the dev's obviously haven't had time to fix. I've applied this fix myself and it works perfectly:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/possible-culprit-to-compiz-chrome-crashing-desktop-found/11767

My Mate desktop changes all the time, here's my current iteration:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  19. Statitica

Statitica Member

I run manjaro mate now, after a couple years of Ubuntu mate, and to be honest I think I've taken a hit in gaming performance. The nvidia-prime package for Ubuntu seems to give better fps on discrete cards than either bumblebee or nvidia-xrun on manjaro.

Right now, I get higher benchmark scores on the Intel gpu than on the Nvidia GPU.

EDIT, and this is on two machines, so it is not a once off thing.

20. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Pretty happy with my setup now. Performance is only very slightly down vs windows in the more demanding, non-native titles like Witcher 3. Dropping just a few settings from very high to high is enough to get that minimum fps well over 100 on my system and keeping things buttery smooth. :)

This whole proton thing just makes life so much easier than the old days of wine. It's amazing just how good of an experience it is now. Quick check on protondb.com for the non whitelisted titles to save wasting time on games that are completely broken thanks to poor anti-cheat etc. and the rest is just click and play.

Tried a couple of non whitelisted titles like Shadow Warrior 2 and Witcher 3, both of which appear to run flawlessly out of the box despite not being on valves supported lists. Most Excellent. :p