Linux Gaming

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by GumbyNoTalent, Jan 10, 2008.

1. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

You're not the only person I've heard claim this, personally I only buy laptops with Intel iGPU's as I never use my laptop for anything demanding enough to require a dedicated GPU and all the issues that come with iGPU/dedicated combinations.

If I was forced to use a dedicated GPU, I'd just be using Nvidia Prime and logging out/back in to play a game.

Proton is awesome, I run a number of non whitelisted games no issues at all.

2. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah, only thing I would change about proton is when you enable it for all games, you no longer have a quick way to tell what games are native or run through proton, supported or unsupported etc.

Not a hard fix, I just disabled it completely then put all visible games into a "Native" Category, then enabled proton for supported games and added any new games to a "Wine (Supported) Category, then enabled it system wide and added the leftovers into a "Wine (Unsupported) Category.

At least then I know what should just run as is, without needing to check up on it first. :)

Mind you, only a handful of games are in my "supported category". Most of which are bloody dosbox games that should just run a native client anyway. Although I do get just how temperamental dos games are to different versions of dosbox. If it works, don't touch it. lol

The number of native games is rather impressive though.

[​IMG]

Edit: Actually, one other thing i would change would be to have a per game option to say run the windows version instead of the native version in case of a crap port. That could open up ease of using modded clients/source ports too if they gave us the option of native/proton/external client and make life so much easier.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  3. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I'm downloading Warframe. As a retro gamer, it's not really the kind of title that really appeals to me - But hell, it's free so lets see if it runs and what it's like.

If I don't like it I file it in the recycle bin.

self_slaughter likes this.
  4. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Playing GTA V in 4K on Linux. Wake me up, is this a dream?

5. RnR

RnR Member

6. DerekP

DerekP Member

I thought the same thing actually. I like your workaround. Mine was going to protonDB. Noting that i don't game a whole lot, so i can just check it on the spot if i decided i wanted to install something. I was SO chuffed with Rome Total War worked, and my saved games came across, and the performance actually seemed better.

We owe Valve.

Which is important right now because Epic is about to open up there own shop. I can't stand Origin and haven't used it for ages. i've never even seen uPlay so i am unlikely to even try Epic. Generally speaking, i'm just not inclined to buy games that aren't on my preferred platform. The most recent non-Linux capable game i bought was DayZ i think.. and that was years ago (excluding Humble Bundle, mind).

7. Statitica

Statitica Member

I wiped and reinstalled windows. Lasted 3 weeks before I hated it too much to keep it. Just... terrible.

Anyhoo, I got back on manjaro and used xfce this time around. Just gonna have to deal with the fact that this laptop ain't a gaming rig.
    Considering my latest experience with windows, I'm seriously considering adopting your motto of "no tux, no bux".

flu!d likes this.
  8. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I find it boggling how users defend Windows with such vigor! It's truly saddening. ;)

9. Statitica

Statitica Member

I try not to go too hard on them. I was one of them once...
    I think it is mostly fear of the unknown.

But there are people such as my Dad, a sysadmin and Hyper-V afficionado, who have tried to migrate across to other systems such as CentOS, Xen, and nomachine, but who couldn't get it all figured out. For some, the WYSIWYG approach is still necessary

flu!d likes this.
  10. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

WYSIWYTYG, what you see is what you THINK you get :p

Statitica likes this.
  11. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Agreed, at some stage I'm sure most of us were Windows users, probably thought Windows 95 was a pretty neato idea!

12. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Wow, compared to your library, my own Steam library is a damn mess!

13. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

God, I still remember a mate getting a new computer and staring at it for hours with no idea what to do as it came with Windows95.

Was still waiting for the program manager to appear, thinking the new pc was busted. Didn't know everything was all hidden behind that dang new fangled little start button down in the corner. :p

Edit: Had a massive fight with Windows 10 again yesterday. It lost. Back to Linux for another shot, it's at the point now more stuff is broken out of the box in 10 than in Linux. At least in Linux once you fix something, it stays fixed. ;)

Retroarch and my PS4 controller are playing great together with no tweaking. It's normally a massive fight in Windows to get older games running stutter free on this monitor and my ps4 controller normally lags to hell in Windows using bluetooth, so I'm stoked at this point in time.

I did swap my compositor out for Compton this time round. Seems to work brilliantly with mate at high refresh rates. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    flu!d, elvis and RnR like this.
  14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

WINE 4.0 goes official. Most of you lot have probably been running Betas and RCs for a while, but this is a worthy celebration.

https://www.winehq.org/announce/4.0

Vulkan and DirectX/Direct3D 12 support are the big ticket items. Huge effort by WINE dev, and downstream contributors like Valve/Proton and ReactOS.

15. chook

chook Member

I don't really have anything to add to the discussion as I don't use Linux for gaming but though this would be either interesting to people here or there would be people with enough knowledge to discusss and perhaps debunk some of the assertions in this article.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/02/19/linux-gaming-steam-valve-epic-games-store/

Seems that the opinion is that Steam is the only reason gaming happens on Linux and that the Epic store is going to hurt.

16. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I haven't read the article, sounds like a load of sensationalist click bait bullshit.

However, boil it all down to the owner of Valve, and Gabe Newell is literally the only reason gaming happened under Windows. Bloody Gen 'X'ers woudn't know anything about that however, would they? All they've known, sadly enough, is Microsoft since birth.

17. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I've got a wired Xbox360 controller, works a treat on every game I've tried. Looking good my friend!

18. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I'm curious (as a mostly Windows user) as to what do you experienced Linux people make of this interesting Forbes article 6 Months With Linux: The Ugly Truth About Gaming Without Windows

Taking into account my previous question then how well do the latest shooters run under Wine 4.0 because if someone is getting 100 FPS with Win10 and then only getting say 25 FPS under Wine it will be hopeless, whereas, if your running StarCraft 1 or Civ2 then your not exactly going to be fussed with a lower frame rate for those old games.

19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I can't disagree with any of those points.

When you choose an OS, you choose your benefits and sacrifices/compromises to make.

* Choose Windows. Get the benefit of usability and first-line developer support for games and drivers. Sacrifice privacy and full control of your operating system.

* Choose Linux. Get 100% head to toe control of your OS, security and privacy. Sacrifice a fair amount of first-line developer support of drivers and games

The author's comments on "too hard for the average user" are also correct. Zero argument there. With that said, even Windows is too hard for the "average user" some times - proof of which are the legions of low-end helpdesk staff packed into corporate Australia helping "average people" with computing tasks as banal as saving documents and checking emails. I don't ever like to compare what I'm doing to what "the average person" does, because that in itself suffers the flaw of averages. I'd rather look at something specific to my needs instead.

How you compromise is entirely up to you. No two people are the same, and your requirements will differ to everyone around you. But every choice *is* a compromise.

For me, I don't trust Windows, so it's not worth the compromise of security and privacy to get access to bleeding edge, triple A games. I note that every game I want to play *eventually* makes it to Linux. I'm also a busy person and a self-confessed "patient gamer", and to date I've never had an issue playing a particular game I want to play years down the track. I'm not terribly interested in very recent games, and if I am I play them on consoles. I'm certainly not interested in FPS games as I feel that genre has offered nothing new in over a decade, and I'm not interested in online games because I dislike almost everyone who plays online. So with all of those subjective things in mind, Linux is my go-to operating system. (Even so, I note that there are plenty of modern Triple-A, FPS and online games that work quite well under Proton, however I personally don't bother playing them for reasons unrelated to operating systems).

"Your mileage my vary", as they say. Make your own choices, choose your own compromises based on your needs and willingness to forgo certain things to gain others.

20. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Running Steamplay/Proton there is not a single example of gameplay going from 100fps under Windows to 25fps under Linux running Proton in my library. In fact, there are games in my library that run better under Proton than they do running native Windows.

Most of the time, I'm only interested in the game, I forget what OS it's running under. Even then, it's only when I've got the time to actually kick back and enjoy a game. I've got a few videos of how well games play under Steamplay/Proton if you like, all filmed using an external camera as to provide as realistic an example as possible of gameplay.

My desire to run a decent OS free from the issues of Windows 10 by far exceeds my need to play AAA titles on release, and I will support Linux and Vulkan in order to benifit all gamers in the hope that one day we can break free of the DirectX monopolization. Loosing 25% of my library, some titles of which I haven't played in years, is a more than acceptable sacrifice.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    sammy_b0i and cvidler like this.