Linux Gaming

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by GumbyNoTalent, Jan 10, 2008.

1. domsmith

domsmith Member

I always found the show stoppers to be with input devices and their configuration, its not always seamless to switch configs from windows to linux.

How is mouse input handled with steam/proton games?
    Does it grab rawinput or does it use whatever acceleration settings that are set in X11

I think a standard set of more advanced GUI configuration widgets are needed if you want more windows users moving to linux for gaming.
    things like this https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Libratbag-Piper-Progress

2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I have acceleration disabled and my mouse is fine. Xbox360 controller works faultlessly also.

3. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Nope I personally do not want Windows users moving to Linux, I would much prefer AAA title developers write platform agnostic software the tools are available. Windows users use Windows and Linux is not Windows, Valve has provided improvement so everyday Joe users could if they want to use Linux, and I believe Valve will continue to improve what is required for the less advanced users if that is the market they want to pursue.

Linux does not have to be Windows, Linux users accept that and if something needs to be made simpler then someone with either time or money will oblige the requirement. But if MS and others continue to pay Developers to lock them into platforms then Linux will always be left wanting by the big budget game devs. While more boutique indie game devs continue to support the growing userbase of Linux with great titles that surpass the AAA titles with creative new approaches to gameplay and story telling .

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Whose standard? Yours? Mine?
    https://m.xkcd.com/927/

sammy_b0i likes this.
  5. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

6. domsmith

domsmith Member

Neither. I'm thinking more the device being used. You plug in a mouse with 5 buttons should be able to configure those 5 buttons in the GUI without having to dive into a config file.
    When you configure your wireless in the GUI it prompts for your password your not expected to dive into a separate config file to set those options.

And this is probably the same thought process that developers have when asked why they don't develop a game for linux.

7. elvis

Some people make games for Linux. Some don't. Making blanket statements about developers and as single consciousness isn't an accurate way to look at things.

8. flu!d

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

domsmith likes this.
  9. domsmith

domsmith Member

That openrazor GUI looks well planned out especially for the logs / daemon restart service.

Shame some of those features and ideas haven't found their way into the various Desktop Environments.

10. flu!d

They haven't made their way natively into Windows desktop environments either...

11. elvis

Wow this is moving fast.

WINE 4.3 hits development (4.0 is still "stable").
    https://www.winehq.org/announce/4.3

And one of the biggest addons this time around is the entire audio layer is now shares code with the FNA project:
    https://fna-xna.github.io/

FNA is a completely open-source rewrite of Microsoft's XNA, which is a lightweight set of tools similar to DirectX, but aimed more at simpler, more lightweight games. It's popular within the indie gaming scene, and FNA uses the same namespace as XNA to try and offer 1:1 code compatibility with XNA.

As the developers note, this means that running any XNA powered game on WINE4.3 or later will use FNA and the same namespace, hopefully leading to much higher compatibility of smaller indie games on WINE.

This has huge implications not only for cross-platform compatibility, but preservation. WINE is rapidly becoming a more stable platform for old Windows games than Windows itself!

12. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Maybe understand the Linux eco system first before making statements would help, the onus is on the hardware vendor to provide kernel drivers if they wish to have their device supported "out of the box", or make their product conform with a driver that already exists in the kernel. They (the hardware vendor) already do this with Windows as they the vendor wish to sell their product to Windows users surely we the consumer should expect them to do the same to sell to Linux users?

Hardware vendors need to participate with MS for their products to work, why is that participation not required for Linux?

13. domsmith

domsmith Member

My statements were responses to HobartTas Forbes article post.

Where he asked about how shooters run under wine 4. He mentioned about frame rate issues. I was pointing out that input devices were a possible issue to windows gaming adoption and my experiences with it.

Would it be fair to say most windows gamers would prefer to have features/configuration exposed via a GUI?
    Sometimes you just want to sit down and be able to play a game and have that same experience whether your using windows/gnome/kde/mate etc.

I can fully appreciate that Linux users are happy to configure these settings either in a configuration file or through the cli. I have done my fair share of configuration to get games working that required svgalib/alsamixer/pulseaudio/wine tweaking etc to work.

There were times when to get a functional games machine under linux you needed to buy specific hardware. A soundcard that worked with alsamixer etc. Video cards that required hardware binary blobs. Which thankfully is no longer the case now days. The hardware is better supported but the configuration still isn't always exposed to the GUI.

Doing a search for input devices still present issues for users coming from windows to linux. Its getting better but its not there yet.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mouse+input+proton
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mouse+input+wine

14. flu!d

I can honestly say that in my case, mouse configuration is spot on with no mouse acceleration. Disabling acceleration required editing one line in a configuration file, nothing I didn't do many, many times gaming under Windows.

Razer products are fully supported via open Razer drivers and numerous configuration GUI front ends, so Razer products are what I use.

You have to remember that around 5 years ago none of this Linux gaming ecosystem existed, that's some impressive gaming advancements in a very small time frame.

15. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

If I buy a device, it comes with Windows drivers and software provided by the manufacturer not the Open Source Community, perhaps ypu should be asking the question about your 5 button mouse on the manufacturers website asking them why they don't support Linux and should if they want your money. Same with gaming software, ask the software development company why they won't release on Linux if they want your money.

ALL your points make it the Linux communities problem, but I say it is the vendors issue, and they choose not to support Linux, yet there are plenty of developers who would help port drivers and software but the companies aren't interested in providing the hardware and software code.

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/8294099/ <= Jan 8 2009 1st post playing WoW.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    flu!d likes this.
  16. OhFoRkMe

OhFoRkMe Member

Needed to format my Windows gaming machine but on the back of watching LTT's video on Linux Gaming, I decided to give Pop OS a go. If I didnt like it, no harm done and I can format and install Windows again.

Surprised how many of my regular games are already compatible and everything seems to be running smoothly but I guess thats also down to a fresh OS install too.

So far, so good. Will venture out of my comfort zone as time passes and see what else I can pickup through the terminal.

GumbyNoTalent and RnR like this.
  17. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Nice work!

Even without Pop OS, Linux Gaming has become pretty easy on most of the popular distros now.

18. OhFoRkMe

OhFoRkMe Member

Yeah I started to realise that after reading around a bit more :)

19. DerekP

DerekP Member

That's really impressive. I'd love OpenLogitech one day.

20. DerekP

DerekP Member

I'm no expert but from my experience Linux distros don't suffer so much from the problem that Windows suffers over time. People say its because the Windows registry just gets bigger and bigger and the way the system uses it means Windows just gets slower and slower. Like anything, if you install more software or services, they need to load, but Linux just doesn't seem to slow down so much over time (vs Win).

PopOS i think was a pretty clever choice. Nice :)