Linux Gaming

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by GumbyNoTalent, Jan 10, 2008.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Happens quite a lot. The Win32/Win64 component isn't generally the cause of delays, but rather the graphics driver pipeline and limits in the OS there.

So the "overhead" of WINE doesn't hurt much at all, but the inherent 3D speedups in Linux result in better performance.

Not reflected very well where WINE needs to do Direct3D translations, but certainly the case when OpenGL or Vulkan are the native renderer. Ditto for native games without WINE in the middle.

There's a reason all of the worlds high end 3D rendering for film, VFX and scientific compute all happen on Linux-powered CPU and GPU clusters. When Windows takes a few percent longer to process data, and you're talking workloads that can take weeks or even months to complete, every bit of performance matters.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    flu!d likes this.
  2. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Don't tell Windows users that, they'll have a shit fit. ;)

elvis likes this.
  3. flu!d

It works fantastic, works under Lutris as well and has logging if you need it.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've noticed. Instantly into the "fuck you I don't care until Linux can play 100% of everything day 1" mental breakdown, typically coupled with the "Windows 10 sucks" complaints side by side and no concept of the enormous irony, and rod they've created for their own back.

Ah well, best of luck to them.

flu!d likes this.
  5. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

That's my experience too, windows games which use OpenGL / Vulkan like ID Tech based games run flawlessly through Proton. At near or better than native speeds. DirectX games using DXVK/D9VK are almost there apart from some lag when compiling shaders. The main reason game compatibility with Proton isn't higher has nothing to do with the game engines it seems, it's more to do with either crappy launchers made using .NET Framework or DRM / Anticheat bullshit.

6. flu!d

Win32 is no longer a vendor lock in, it's that simple - Linux is now compatible with Win32 as well as DirectX. Furthermore, Microsoft know this - Hence the Epic store and it's complete lack of Linux support and luring of exclusives even where they support Linux.

Yes, Microsoft isn't 100% the Linux of old, but I still can't help but feel they're behind this - Just like the Adobe CC being unsupported under Linux even though Adobe themselves released slides of their CC running under Linux and there's an entire market screaming out for it under Linux. I can't help but feel the hand of Microsoft is maintaining exclusive control.

7. Statitica

Statitica Member

Yeah, Easy Anti Cheat (EAC) is one big reason I haven't made the jump across on my gaming rig.

Stoopid thing does nothing to stop hackers, but it does pick up "graphics injectors" and may be triggered by DXVK.

8. flu!d

EAC Linux support was progressing...Until Epic bought it.

9. Statitica

Statitica Member

Yeah.

The other one is punkbuster from EA.

Neither Epic nor EA (not Ubisoft) have a particularly friendly approach to the Linux community.

10. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Neither EA nor epic have a particularly friendly approach to their customers, period :p

Statitica likes this.
  11. Statitica

Statitica Member

True that.

But I've made peace with the fact that my gaming rig is no more than a launcher, and so it still runs windows.

12. flu!d

If I have to run Windows to play games, I'll run Linux.

Just downloaded and installed Metro Exodus now that it's finally back on Steam where it belongs, runs perfectly under Linux, most likely better than under Windows:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  13. Statitica

Statitica Member

I'm not quite ready to sever the MP side of my gaming.
    Read: I would need to change my library away from where it is now.

14. flu!d

I play online MP all the time. Even BF4 used to run really well until Punkbuster had a shit fit.

I'm down about 20% of my overall library, that sits well with me considering I no longer put up with all the baggage that comes with Windows.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  15. Statitica

Statitica Member

interesting.

Next time I'm back down in Aus, I might give it a go. Or I may just get an external SSD and see if I can't get that to work for me.

16. flu!d

People under estimate just how far Linux gaming has advanced. The community along with companies such as Valve and Codeweavers have been pushing really hard and the results are beyond impressive.

Forget Steam user statistics as I believe they're a load of garbage, the fact is that considering the number of SteamPlay/Proton as well as native titles, Linux is now the second most desireable platform on Steam in a remarkably short period of time. With full native Vulkan support as well as ongoing OGL support and NVIDIA drivers on par with their Windows counterparts, which is more than anyone can claim about MacOS.

Then you've got to consider Lutris and the fact it provides even more support for titles outside of Steam.

17. Statitica

Statitica Member

Last I checked (October 2019) I was finding results saying that people were getting bans from online games due to false positives on anti cheat measures.

That, and driver support for my then brand new having laptop seemed to be lagging behind.

18. flu!d

Such bans are rare. Where they do happen you usually find it's got something to do with fsync being enabled or something outside of Wine/DXVK/DX9VK that caused the ban.

19. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Statitica most people in this thread value "freedom" as in freedom of choice rather than being dictated to by a corporations that have shown in the past,present and most likely the future that they aren't interested in anything other then their profit to the point of basically breaking the law with their practices of distribution and forcing their crap software on the market as being the "best" and only way to make games, yes we are talking about Microsoft business practices of the past,present and future.

If you wish to have 100% control over your PC and 100% control over how you choose to use it, you know "freedom" to use your computer how you decide, then you will choose an Open Source solution over Windows/Apple anything. As we progress further into the future more people have and will decide they are sick of the actions of the companies they are choosing to deal with and look for alternatives. Once you decide you prefer choice over convenience, there are plenty of good gaming experiences available without pandering to mainstream propaganda, lets face the truth 100% shooters have not progressed the gameplay in the past decade or more, yet people are sold on continuing to buy subpar experiences for the premium cost associated with the experiences. yet many indie games offer unique and original gameplay and gaming experiences that most gamers are neglecting in favour of the latest rehash of 10 year old gameplay.

NB arguing you need Windows because XYZ, is just justification of your choices in gaming and not a valid argument on why Linux is not a viable gaming platform, but an indictment on why some multi-nationals business practices should be the reason why you don't give them your money or use their products.

PS dual boot my friend, is the best compromise for those who are not as militant or caring about privacy as some in this thread, help is always a post away. :thumbup:

20. Statitica

Statitica Member

Bans are bans though, and I'd rather not lose access to some of thees games.

Preaching to the choir, my friend.

I was previously running nothing but linux on my own gear. Work was a different matter, because one day I'll need to hand this laptop on to the next guy, and the chances of the next guy being able to maintain a linux box are slim to none.

I'm also definitely not saying that Linux is not a viable gaming solution - I already stated that it is because of where my library is.