Linux Gaming

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by GumbyNoTalent, Jan 10, 2008.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

Sometimes you have to decide, if it's really worth it.

Do you really want to give your money to a company that can just take it away with little or no recourse because they arbitrarily decide you're "cheating", or otherwise don't meet the EULA, or they just decide hosting the servers isn't profitable any more and turn 'em off.

And yes bleeding edge hardware gets Windows support first - companies writing the drivers know their market (having said that certain companies are much better with their Linux support than others - stares at Nvidia). How quickly that filters down to your Linux distro depends on a number of things, you could of course run a bleeding edge kernel to get the latest support quicker.

I've next to no time to game any more (got other activities to do), so it doesn't really bother me, but Doom Eternal is tempting me - always loved the Doom/Quake series.

2. Statitica

Statitica Member

Yeah, and there's whole conversations to be had about the merits of video games as a mental health measure, and various other considerations which really make it a personal choice, and way outside the scope of this thread.

3. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

If you get banned for running an MP title under Linux you have to ask yourself if the developer deserves your money anyway.

As stated, I play a mass of MP titles and I've never even considered it to be an issue with the exception of BF4 - And I haven't been banned, Punk Buster is just garbage.

4. flu!d

I think it has to be emphasized that Nvidia have driver support for their hardware on release under Linux and their drivers perform on par with their Windows counterparts. In comparison it's rare that AMDGPU/Mesa offers support for the latest hardware on release, in fact it's hard to get support months after hardware has been released.

Give and take.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  5. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

AMD have been quite open about their proprietary drivers not being intended for gaming. They develop them for professional users who need software certified for use with workstation graphics applications.

6. cvidler

cvidler Member

AMD/Intel play nice with Linux - provide open source drivers.

NVidia, only provide a binary blob that does fuck knows what to your system. And the good people behind Noveau are forever playing catchup to provide open source drivers with zero help from Nvidia.

7. flu!d

Honestly, I don't really care if it's a binary blob, at least it has a real GUI control panel. The world's supercomputers don't seem to be complaining much about Nvidia drivers and I've run them for years with less issues than I encountered under Windows.

The proprietary drivers are AMDGPU-PRO, I'm mainly talking about the open source drivers more suited to gaming that actually perform quite well.

8. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Indeed, I'm impressed with the improvement in the Radeon Mesa/RADV drivers. As for time to support, AMD has definitely gotten much better. Still not as good as NVidia, but you also don't end up with a big Windows driver bolted to your kernel (with their HAL providing the bolts).

flu!d likes this.
  9. flu!d

I'm actually really impressed with the open source AMD driver. I'm not about to swap my 980Ti for an AMD card as that costs money, but the open source driver is great now.

Every little bit helps to promote Linux gaming, as it stands right now I believe Linux is a far better gaming platform than MacOS.

EDIT: There's actually numerous benchmarks showing that even with the overheads of translating D3D to Vulkan, Linux is showing performance in line with Windows. In the case of Win32/Vulkan titles, in many cases Linux is faster than Windows - It's obvious the efficiencies of Linux as an operating system actually make it a better gaming platform than Windows.

Sadly, you're unlikely to topple Windows when it's on the device before the consumer buys it and when you consider just how entrenched it is in relation to PC gaming. However, as a gaming platform, Linux has surpassed everything in relation to outright operating system and file system efficiency as well as driver optimisation and ongoing 100% native support of both OGL and Vulkan.

The future of Linux gaming as a viable alternative to Windows is promising.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Sledge likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Fixed it for you, as 10 years of posts have proven, Linux is more than capable as a gaming platform.

flu!d likes this.
  11. flu!d

100% agreed!

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  12. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

I think I'm super close to blowing away my Win10 install, as it is mainly used for gaming. Everything work related I do either via browers or html editors.

For years I've jumped into nix, and loved it for everything bar gaming, so never stuck with it as my daily driver, since I game a lot.

But now Steamplay is letting me play everything I would be playing on Windows, with zero issues.

Only reason I haven't binned Win10 yet is I'm still checking what programs I might miss having, but I'm kinda drawing a major blank. I've got a O365 sub to run out, then I'm golden.

13. cvidler

cvidler Member

years ago when I swapped. I bought a new HDD, installed linux on that, and hid the Windows one away. safety net, but didn't end up using it. if you ever do need it you could load it up in a virtual machine (KVM).

14. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

elvis likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...e-sale-for-the-indie-megabooth-live-now.16590
    So I brought Pig Eat Ball https://store.steampowered.com/app/339090/Pig_Eat_Ball/ and all I can say is if you are a retro gamer fan ( elvis ) this is a game for you, many of the mechanisms are complete rip offs of old classics re-skined with a twist, gameplay is pure enjoyment.

elvis likes this.
  16. Sledge

Sledge Member

A friend of mine just upgraded to 20.04 and while he's super happy with it, he has trouble with stuttering in F1 2017.
    Anyone got any ideas as to what he can look for to fix it?

17. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

should winehq be believed these days as far as compatibility is concerned?
    I mainly ask as I would like to shift from windows/dual boot to linux 24/7 but I'm concerned things like Monster Hunter World and various other recent steam releases not really working.
    I would be running dxvk/vulkan RTX and all that shiney stuff (system is a bit of a beast).

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yes, but take close note of versions - both of WINE and host OS.

Things are moving faster than ever in open source, so keeping track of version information is important. Likewise WineHQ has excellent tips on registry tweaks and other things that fix specific games (remembering that you can set up different environments for different games easily, should you require it).

19. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

It's been 2 months with Ubuntu 18.04 as daily driver. I've gotten Elite Dangerous to run, which is all I wanted, although I did run a couple of other games completely without issue. Haven't had any issues I couldn't resolve quickly. Bought a 500GB M.2 to throw my /home partition on yesterday, as I'd installed it on 1TB of spinning rust originally. Everything else is on a 500GB SSD, with 4% used. Lol. Logging into Win10 less and less, I think the only time is to play WWZ with friends occasionally due to it being on the Epic Launcher, and I haven't really had the inclination to attempt any linux shenanigans there.

I think we're pretty much there, boys. Next hurdle is VR using the Valve Index when that arrives.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  20. flu!d

Just letting everyone know the Red Alert Remastered Collection works perfectly under Linux.

In fact, I'm finding that almost all my titles are working under Linux these days - Downright amazing.

elvis likes this.