Linux Gaming

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by GumbyNoTalent, Jan 10, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Statitica, General_Cartman and elvis like this.
  2. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

:eek:

Is that EpicGamesStore on Linux?

3. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Yes the start of Epic Store for Linux.

sammy_b0i likes this.
  4. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I've been running the Epic store and certain games based on it for about twelve months now with no issues via Lutris. Detroit Become Human was awesome and played perfectly.

quannum and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  5. quannum

quannum Member

That’s good to know! I didn’t end up playing it on ps4 so might try on Linux!

flu!d likes this.
  6. flu!d

I've never played it under WIndows as I don't have a Windows PC set up, but under Linux FPS was great. The first time you play it it tells you that it's caching textures, that doesn't take long and once that's done the game runs fine.

7. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Proton-5.10-RC
    Whooly sheeeta hope this continues as a trend!

flu!d and quannum like this.
  8. flu!d

I tell ya, development isn't slowing, I've never seen anything like it. What really surprised me is the attitudes of Windows gamers, diversification benifits everyone - Why should Microsoft be the sole gaming platform?

9. quannum

quannum Member

10. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/...red-announced-with-cross-platform-multiplayer
    • Improved Visuals: Total War: ROME REMASTERED ushers the classic strategy title into the modern gaming era with full 4K visuals, native support for ultra-high-definition resolution and overhauled environment, battlefield, and character models.
    • New Gameplay Content: Wage war across new fronts with 16 previously unplayable factions to play on top of the original 22, and send the new Merchant agents on missions to establish lucrative trade networks across the map, buy out rival Merchants, and assert your empire’s economic power.
    • Modern Features: Players can exercise more control than ever with new features such as a tactical map during battles, plus heat maps and icon overlays in campaign mode. Existing mechanics have also been improved, including an overhauled diplomacy system, wider camera zoom levels throughout the game, and camera rotation on the campaign map.
    • Improved Help Systems: A swathe of improved support has been added, including a redesigned tutorial, a new in-game Wiki, expansive advice and tooltips, and improved accessibility for colour blind players.
    • Cross-platform Multiplayer: Players can enjoy cross-platform multiplayer between Windows, macOS and Linux, a first for the Total War franchise.
    • Complete Content: Total War: ROME REMASTERED includes the Barbarian Invasion and Alexander expansions in glorious new detail, and players will also gain access to the original ROME: Total War Collection (Windows only).
    OH YEAH! Time for some cross-platform rivalry.

11. DerekP

DerekP Member

Rome Total War is one of my favourite ever games. I never managed to beat it. I'm not a heavy gamer, and i tend to be very risk averse... avoiding battles i'm not very likely to win. So my campaign drags on for decades and when that happens, the AI all of a sudden gets nasty. No matter what you do - cities don't love you and battles become oddly more difficult (suddenly and significantly).

It's funny. I don't know why - but they never cast Italians to be Romans... they've always got British accents. It's so stupid - English is very common in Italy and i'm sure many notable Italian actors would be fluent in English yet sound Italian! Maybe they think that Americans won't understand them...

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Phoronix took a look at game performance on Wayland, the new Xorg replacement and now default GUI / screen drawing system for Ubuntu 21.04 and newer (sits underneath whatever desktop environment you choose - things like GNOME, KDE/Plasma, XFCE, etc all sit on top of either Xorg or Wayland).

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu-2104-gaming&num=1

Good news is most games have negligible performance differences (even a smidge faster for some). A handful that show some drops, but these appear to be the exception.

WINE, Steamplay, various compositors and open source graphics drivers all appear to be largely unaffected (again, frequently a tiny bit faster), which is great news. I was expecting a lot more troubles than this, so I'm quite pleasantly surprised.

DerekP likes this.
  13. DerekP

DerekP Member

Thanks for that update :thumbup:

14. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

I might give it a play on a secondary system or boot disk. I'm a bit concerned about some functionality of Compiz that I'm a big fan of and couldn't find to get working with other solutions (not the showy/flashy stuff, but more productivity/shortcut/bindings related) - I'm sure there is other ways of achieving it, I just need to put the time in and I've been very time-poor lately.

These days I'm one of those lazy people who just sticks to LTS distros and only upgrades when necessary. Call me change-intolerant when it comes to my main machine :D

15. DerekP

DerekP Member

We must be getting close to Wayland being the default... a year? 2 years?

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

Wayland is default on Fedora 34.

17. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

It seems to be going that way, but definitely very distro and release dependent.

Honestly it's hard for me to care at the very moment because my systems are all working very well right now with Xorg, gaming, multi-monitor setup and no tearing issues or anything like that which has caused me issues in the past.

18. DerekP

DerekP Member

Yeahiknow, but little else And nothing 'big' AFAIK.

19. DerekP

DerekP Member

I know what you mean. It would be cool if it brought with it some improved performance, i'm sure there'll be plenty of optimisation after it's more adopted and hits a critical mass of user/developer-base.

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

if Fedora isn't 'big' what is?