Linux Gaming

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by GumbyNoTalent, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

At this stage I'm just waiting to the jun/jul uni holidays to attempt to migrate my main machine to wayland and sway, from xorg and awesome. Increasingly have few reasons to stick with xorg, and it's starting to get to the point I need *some* kind of compositor integration anyway. I guess my main concerns are replacing all the current xrandr related configuration I've got around plugging into and off of my docking station and 2x4k external monitors, vs 1080p internal. But from what I gather there are ways to handle that gracefully now.

I'm vaguely tempted to see how mature Pipewire is at the same time, and ditch both PA and JACK

elvis and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  2. cvidler

cvidler Member

Fedora 34 moved to Pipewire by default. I'm not doing any serious audio authoring/editing, but have noticed no issues, even a plugin to redirect Pulse sources to a DLNA receiver has worked with no change (on my part).

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  3. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

It's not so much an issue with distros as work that has to be undertaken upstream. That means the required changes have to compete for limited dev time and won't be finished in a blink.

4. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Ubuntu maintain packages in their MAIN repo, likewise Redhat, Debian and most major distros, pushing changes upstream, ironically Debain is upstream from Ubuntu.

5. juggernaut88

juggernaut88 Member

I just changed from Arch to Fedora to try out Wayland and so far Pipewire has worked great so far. Similarly, I don't do anything outside of the norm with Audio but working great so far.

elvis likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.collabora.com/news-and-...-meets-vulkan-multi-monitor-support-more.html
    We first announced our work on the driver last December, and posted an update earlier this year. We are now happy to announce a second update for this driver, adding several major features which increase its scope and utility. You can read all the details in the new upstream mailing list RFC (Request for Comment) post. Here is a list of the new features:

• Vulkan support
    • Multi-monitor support
    • HiDPI handling
    • Cursor clipping/relative movement
    • Wayland keymap handling

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

New laptop get! Ryzen 7 4800H, Renoir APU with a discreet Navi Radeon RX 5600M (both Vulkan 1.2 capable).

Whacked Ubuntu Hirsuite Hippo 21.04 on there, Wayland desktop, MESA 21.something. Started throwing Vulkan workloads at it. Zoiks, this is fun.

Going to be testing a whole lot of WINE gaming on this in the weeks to come. Goal is to see how Lutris does things mostly (I normally apt-get or compile things I need, command line all the things, but I want to see how far GUI things have come). Bigger focus on old/retro gaming than modern stuff, but will also see how DXVK is going. Likewise I want to try out pipewire now that OBS and other tools have support too.

Really impressed at just how much of this worked out of the box, and the positively insane speeds I was getting. The progress all of these tools have made in a very short amount of time is mind blowing.

Elmf, Fitzi, sammy_b0i and 2 others like this.
  8. Fitzi

Fitzi Member

What make/model laptop did you end up going with? I am thinking of picking up a new laptop but have been out of the loop forever with AMD stuff. The only things I really want is to be able to run linux and use my dell d6000 usbc dock to charge it while connected to dual display port monitors.

9. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Not to be too pedantic, but Wayland isn't a desktop -- it's a platform design desktop software can use to do desktop things. Your DE stack will be Plasma, Gnome, or one of the others and communicate with other desktop software using Wayland compliant methods.

10. elvis

Sure, poor wording from me. :)

Hirsuite ships with Wayland by default, XWayalnd for legacy X11 compatibility, and Canonical's Unity as the DE (itself fully compatible with Wayland, not requiring X11 compatibility for the actual DE itself, various apps notwithstanding).

I still hate Unity for numerous reasons, but I'm giving it a whirl to see if I can recommend it as a platform for the retro gaming project I'm currently designing in my head. (Rapidly losing patience with it though, and eyeballing KDE/Plasma again, although sadly KWin still has a few glaring holes in their Wayland support according to their most recent docs).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  11. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Interesting. I thought their support was among the most mature.

Anyway, no Wayland support in XFCE, yet. No Wayland support in Budgie for when I want to do something more Chromebook-y. Therefore no Wayland for me so far.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  12. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap
    https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.18/roadmap

Some support hopefully by years end.

13. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

My main gripe so far is that I never liked i3 anywhere near as much as awesome or xmonad, and am similarly finding Sway adequate but not as good as awesome was :p. I havent had any major issues otherwise, and indeed the program kanshi which manages multi-monitor arrangements on connect and disconnect ala autorandr seems to work particularly well.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  14. elvis

I'm going 100% by what's in the KDE wiki. Will give it a try on the weekend though, because Unity is *really* pissing me off.

Caught Sway as a recommendation on a forum somewhere late last night. Definitely going on my list to try as well.

I've been in KDE Plasma land for 12 years ish now, due to my previous job using it as the SOE for artists. Adoption was pretty positive on that. Every now and then we'd have someone come through and stomp up and down about GNOME, so we'd load it on there for them, their heavy weight 3D creative apps would take a nosedive in performance, we'd say "I told you so", and flick them back over to KDE Plasma again. :lol:

But now I'm outta there, so it's time for me to pick something I like again. Although again, in the back of my mind is this "simplified retro gaming" project I want to work on. But eh, that's still a whiles off yet with my current work load going through the roof.

15. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

:thumbup: nicah! i3 user here.
    https://github.com/swaywm/sway

16. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

17. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1451480/The_Greatest_Penguin_Heist_of_All_Time/
    OMG this looks awesome, and the theme is penguin based so it rocks hard.

18. domsmith

domsmith Member

19. OP
    OP
    GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

20. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

Is there a Linux distribution better suited to gaming? (particularly with blue and green components) or a matter of personal preference?