Linux Gaming

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by GumbyNoTalent, Jan 10, 2008.

1. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Pop! OS is the closest you get to a "gaming ready" Linux distro, though that's not its intent.

I currently play all my Steam games on Ubuntu 20.04 with full experimental Proton options turned on, and I have so far had only troubles with really old titles such as FarCry2 (works for weeks and then suddenly doesn't want to launch anymore, though this appears to be a general game issue, not an issue with running on Linux). Currently playing MGSV: Ground Zero (again - I just love this game) and it's playing perfectly.

2. Statitica

Statitica Member

Personally, I had much better luck on Debian/Ubuntu derivatives, than I had on Arch derivatives. Particularly on laptops with "discrete" GPU.
    YMMV

3. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

Gave openSUSE a try, no go. Trying Pop! OS atm, installing it was such a trouble free experience. Results are a mixed, from perfect to perfect with a bug or two. Though I'm not using the experimental branch of proton, I'll give that a try see if improves on the bugs. Going give to Ubuntu a go next.

4. DanglingPointer

DanglingPointer Member

Just to wet everyone's Linux appetite! :D

That's on a Powercolor Liquid Devil Ultimate 6900XT
    Everything maxed! No Vsync
    Screenshot from 2021-09-27 12-46-22.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    flu!d likes this.
  5. Primüs

Primüs Member

With the new updates coming to proton leading up to the release of the steam deck (including some anti-cheats now supporting it and more likely to come) I feel it's almost viable to run full time gaming machine and not miss out / compromise!

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Depending on your choice of game, that's already viable for many.

For the sorts of *new* stuff I play, I don't feel like I've been missing out for over 2 years now.

For the sorts of *old* stuff I play, I feel Linux is a better platform. I'm running into more and more stuff that just won't even run on Windows 10 (even in compatibility mode), but happily runs in WINE with a profile set to an older Windows build compatibility level.

Steam Deck is going to make all of this even simpler and more accessible to non technical people.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  7. gav1ski

gav1ski Member

It is viable for what I am playing as well. Some examples

Original Diablo 2 - installed via Lutris runs perfectly (or as well as any machine with high res)
    Remastered Diablo 2 - installed via battle Net Client under Lutris runs perfectly not 1 crash or issue.
    Fallout 4 + mods - via proton in steam + mods installed via vortex mod manager (Lutris)
    Skyrim (original) - runs perfectly crashes some times but so does windows. Had to do some file renaming to get SKSE running but that was all
    Skyrim SE - as above but I could not get SKSE 64 to run so I just play the original

Every game in steam I have tried also works with the most I have had to do is check out proton DB and put in a command line to make it perfect. This includes early access and new release games and games that will just not launch under windows 10.

With Valve behind proton and that feeding some stuff back into wine Linux is now my preferred gaming platform. I am currently planning an upgrade of my machine and my original plans was to dual boot Linux and Windows, that is now just Linux as I have not yet found a game I enjoy playing that does not run under Linux. This may change but with Steam Deck it's only going to get easier as Valve is actively going to be ensuring that as many games as possible runs.