1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Linux Mint RC 13 Mini Review

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Psychotria, May 17, 2012.

1. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

Looks like both oclockforlyfe and elyzion have taken their bat and ball and gone home... If only thread cleanups were this easy all the time ;)

2. Dimtar

Dimtar Member

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  3. oclockforlyfe

oclockforlyfe Member

Here are some Mint tips:

1. Firewall is off by default. In the firewall settings(menu -> administration), click the little lock at the bottom right hand corner so you can change the setting. Then click on the status to turn it on. Then close the firewall settings window. Next time you open up the settings, it will look like the firewall is still off, but if you click on the lock again, you can see that it is actually on.

2. To update from LM13 RC to stable release, all you have to do is to use Update Manager to update Level 1 & 2 packages. That's all - you don't need to download the stable ISO to reinstall. The level of a package is the number(coloured) on the left of the package name in Update Manager.

3. Level 1-3 packages are considered safe to install with no conflicts(1 being the safest). Level 4-5 packages might result in some conflicts and instability - install with caution.

Have fun! :D

4. JolyV

JolyV Member

I love Mint,Two months ago I installed it and I loved,
    I change ubuntu because I began to bother much its graphic interface, now I´ll gonna updated por Linux Mint 13 Maya Im so excited for this SO

5. trash

trash Member

I have just downloaded and installed Mint 13 Mate. I was using Gnome on Mint 12 and decided to have a look at something different. All the same programs are installed, just a different looking menu and panel. I now prefer Mint over Ubuntu - ever since Unity was included. I have found no problems so far and have installed my usually post-install programs - HandBrake, VLC and Adobe Flash.

Just wish Internode would host the repos for Mint!!

6. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

Mint only hosts a very small amount of packages in their own repo, the rest are pulled directly from Ubuntu repositories, so just reconfigure your ubuntu ones to point wherever you want

7. JolyV

JolyV Member

8. trash

trash Member

Thanks. That is why I come here. Learn something new everyday!

9. Edoardo

Edoardo New Member

I'm using Mint 13 Cinnamon 64 bit on my notebook and on my desktop computer at work and I'm happy to say I had no problems at all!!! I really enjoyed the Cinnamon desktop and I feel it more user friendly and faster than the Ubuntu Unity... also it uses less ram than Ubuntu 12.04.

I'm posting some screenshots about my notebook workplace...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. antipody

antipody Member

I'm thinking I might replace Pangolin with Mint on my tablet.

I read the dedeimedo review above and it seemed pretty good. The main motivator for me is that I'm not so keen on Unity and Mint seems less resource intensive. I think 12.04 has my CPU fan running more than even Vista...

Would anyone recommed MATE or is Cinnamon generally better?

11. OP
    OP
    Psychotria

Psychotria (Banned or Deleted)

I'm really enjoying Mint and have installed it on my laptop and a spare desktop. I haven't really tried MATE, so I can't really compare Cinnamon to MATE, but FWIW I haven't got any major gripes or concerns with Cinnamon. Hopefully someone who has used both can shed some more light on the two and provide a comparison

12. Edoardo

Edoardo New Member

I think they are both good... I chose Cinnamon because of the look... :D
    Mint 13 uses less resorces than Vista, the only advice I can give is to install Jupiter to manage the speed of the processor. ;)