Linux productivity vs other OS

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by eixt, Jun 11, 2020.

1. eixt

eixt Member

I know this topic has been done to death, however its just something I have become acutely aware of over COVID watching a great number of people actually work - not just support

Windows and MacOS are simply TERRIBLE at ensuring users are most productive.

TLDR: How can either of these bloated, laggy systems even begin to compete with xfce or some of the other lightweight os. If i was a major company it would be my first point of reform in looking for efficiency gains. This constant need for more and bigger and animation is killing productivity.

I use all three and there is a gentle sigh of relief when i get back to xfce with its simple design, no lag and just straight up do as I need. Just give me the fucking apps everyone complains about and its a world beater.

To quote my friend "oh hey thats the way windows was back in the day, i liked how that worked..."

2. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Shitty LOB apps from 2001 don't run on *nix

3. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Most apps have web interfaces now, so that totally eliminates platform-related issues. I use Office 365 and MS Teams at work primarily through a browser without any drama, and it's faster than using the native Windows clients anyway.

I've even converted most of my Windows-using colleagues to start using the web versions where possible. Outlook in particular is much faster, especially with searches, and you don't have to worry about corrupt PST files every second day.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Shitty LOB apps from 2001 are a great way of warning potential employees not to work for that rubbish employer.

5. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

And yet, they are the dominate OS because they are more productive than Linux.

All 3 have pros and cons. Some things are easier in Windows, some things are easier in Linux. Last night I needed to get the line of code count for some git repos.

`sudo apt install -y cloc`

`cloc ./`

Done.

Windows I have to go find the repo and the .exe and install it.

A couple of weeks ago I wanted to RDP from my desktop (windows) to my laptop (Ubuntu). BAHAHAHA I gave up. Setting up RDP support on Linux is such a cluster fuck mess it's hilarious. I ended up just going to the lounge and bringing the laptop to the study and plugging it in.

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

http://xrdp.org/
    NAH bro your just shit at computers if ya think one OS is more productive then another, because the OS isn't a productivity tool, how you use the tools available make it productive.

PS - I'm more productive than you because I make it so I don't have to use a computer to do the task because I automate that shit.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  7. Snoops

Snoops Member

Pretty good chance Linux + Wine would run it better than the required Windows version... I used to keep a pile of VM's running various windows builds for this purpose... then just found it was easier with Wine!

8. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

LOL it doesn't 'just work', what you end up with is a blank screen, or if you have a terminal open already on the computer, a terminal, and then you need to spend more time configuring stuff to get RDP to work.

(in the end I got it working but fucked if i can remember what i had ton configure to get it working)

So you agree with me!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  9. 192.168.0.1

192.168.0.1 Member

Why do they persist? Due to their pervasive and aggressive expansion into schools and colleges. It used to be called "Dreamspark" when I was in Uni and now it's called "Imagine" but they loaded us up with free Office suites, o365 Email, Windows (we all got free Windows 7 pro keys) and access to all the server operating systems. As a core OS the only thing letting Linux down is the lack of LOB apps that exist (no, not Libre office, I mean MS office).

For the home user if Linux got 100% faithful MS Office, Photoshop and a few other likely suspects I would imagine aside from the most "dusty" old LOB apps, most companies would move across in a heartbeat. The only thing keeping people on Windows is the interita of it's own productivity applications. With most things now SaaS there really isn't much holding people on Linux.

10. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Why would you want to RDP into a Linux machine? SSH all the way.

My KDE Neon system that I use daily has a number of features that make my workflow more productive under Linux. Yes, I even make use of Activities.

Furthermore, multiple virtual desktops still work better under Linux than Windows or even MacOS - IMO, especially under KDE Neon.

11. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

CLion and debugging some video files. Need some visuals.

12. flu!d

You're thinking in terms of Windows. Under Linux there are many ways to achieve what you want without using RDP, and most aren't that difficult.

13. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Totally open to learn. How would I use CLion on my work laptop from my personal desktop? I'm by no means a linux expert, always willing to learn tho.

14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Yet you claim Linux is less productive, which would imply you have the same level if skill with Linux as you do with Windows. Google "SSH xwindows forward".

MrSnuffy likes this.
  15. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Lol no. I said all OS have pros and cons. If you ignore my poking a bear comment I started with, then MacOS is no less productive than linux and is no less productive than Windows.

Having said that, again x forwarding, looking for something that just works. Been down that route before. Was a pain. Figured rdp would be easier this time. It’s not.

See something like barrier is easy. You install it, tell the server the name. Bam keyboard and mouse shared.

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Not sure what your issue is, a simple solution was suggested but you said that was too hard to implement xrdp, not sure there is a simpler way then xrdp or vnc, personally I think the issue is PEBKAC.

Maybe you will find the step you missed in here.
    https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-install-xrdp-on-ubuntu-18-04/

flu!d likes this.
  17. flu!d

VNC is absolutely no harder to configure than RDP under Windows..

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah, no.

Market share and market penetration have little to do with merit. Indeed, most end users have zero control over what goes on their desktops, and these decisions are made entirely on the basis of concepts like corporate risk management (i.e.: don't innovate, just copy, do what everyone else does without applying original thought) .

Beyond that, Microsoft's dominance of the corporate desktop is well documented in various anti-trust cases, tied to OEM manipulation and outright market abuse on behalf of Microsoft.

The ultimate proof of course are the countless articles documenting the entirely unexpected (at least by mainstream media) tripling of Linux desktop uses in a COVID-19, work-from-home world. It's clear that when given freedom of choice in a non-gaming, working environment, there exists a huge number of people (quite literally tens of millions) who are outright bored by the status quo, and seek something far more customisable than what some US corporate designed back in the 90s.

Momentum, status quo, anti-trust market manipulation and everything else landed us where we are today. Not merit. Don't confuse these issue.

The ultimate proof, of course, is Windows itself. Look at Microsoft scramble to integrate Linux into Windows via WSL2. 2019 saw more Linux running on Azure than Windows, and the gulf widens every day. Microsoft's sheer desperation to not be taken over has forced them to integrate down to the very core. In 2020, Microsoft are the single largest contributor to open source development measured purely in lines of code. A far cry from the Ballmer "Linux is cancer" era, where they now know their only future is one built on open source, and very likely Linux itself.

19. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

I don't know if this is caused by using gnome or not. I did this when using Kubuntu and it worked, but using Ubuntu resulted in getting a single terminal window visible, and going back to the laptop it changed the login manager and killed off my login, I boot into shell to fix it.

https://twitter.com/unixterminal/status/1272236470074564610

https://boxofcables.dev/accelerated-kvm-guests-on-wsl-2/

Fun stuff

20. neogeo

neogeo Member

Elyzion, I think using NoMachine would be easiest in your case.