Linux ready for the desktop? This is not a poll. ;)

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by martinus, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Crinos

Crinos Member

That's why we're going down the M$ route(with special site license deals)... it's easy and 'the done thing' to run Windows for everything.

And I don't care to be honest, I don't deal with those users any more, I can stick my fingers in my ears and get on with getting scientist's horrible ancient fortran programs to run. Had a gutful of 'waaaaah, my email is broken', 'which button is right-clicking?', 'viruses owned my system', 'I saved this document in the temp folder and now it's gone!' and 'why does this Excel document not open in Word? IT sucks'.

I TRIED to use the new Exchange infrastructure through IMAP/LDAP but it sucked dogs balls so I went back to the Unix/Linux-based ones(while they still exist)... I can't do my job on Windows, so if they buy garbage products that I can't use, I'm sticking with the old stuff... I think I might a) install a rogue IMAP server or b) forward stuff to Gmail... that'll teach those Exchange fanboys... ;)

</rant about M$>

2. ScrumpyJim

ScrumpyJim Member

I've been using that bill gates OS now for many years. (3.11). I want to move to linux because I've just run out of patience for the whole paying for *everything* bullshit.

I've used linux a little a while ago. I played around with redhat, mandrake, debian for a few weeks at a time, but I ran a live cd of ubuntu yesterday, and I have to say, linux has come a long way since I 1st used it. it looked good, it ran well, everything was nice and neat. I was really impressed.

The only thing that is stopping me, at least for now, is gaming. And what I want to know is, how easy is wine/cedega to setup. I dont think I'll be having *too* many problems running steam/hl2/tf2/portal etc, asside from the near constant steam updates. I dont really play many other games due to dirt running like dogs balls on my PC.

Thanks for your help and/or flames =D

3. Snoops

Snoops Member

For me, unless the game can be run native under linux, I just stick to a very basic XP/Vista triple boot.

(I found myself playing games far less due to the pain firing up windows!!)

4. noboundaries-au

noboundaries-au Member

WINE is simple to set up, and howtos are provided on each page in the appdb, along with tests which show whats working, whats not, bugs, etc. for each game.

For steam to install you dont do much different:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1554

And for all the steam games just download or load from backup as you would with windows. I play HL2/EP1 regularly, works perfectly :thumbup: :)

5. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

The only thing I use windows for now is to run C.O.D 1 which I play regularly with some friends, If I could get that running under WINE then I would most likely switch completely to Ubuntu.
    Obviously there are things that I cannot figure out how to do under linux that I could under windows but thats the learning curve and although its steep, its still not insurmountable like it was even a year ago.The vast amount of freely available software is amazing and in most cases, as functional as the windows equivalent..............I only wish Gimp could record and save actions like CS2 does :(.
    If anyone has a clue how to get COD installed thna Id be grateful, the main issue is that it consists of 2 cd's and WINE locks the cd drive so you cant eject the first cd when the installer asks

Cheers

Z

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper Member

Zzapped, have you tried "wine eject" from the CLI?

7. noboundaries-au

noboundaries-au Member

Make sure the drive is set to CD-ROM in winecfg (is in advanced section).

Also, there was a loki installer (alternate native installer) made for COD too, its available here:
    http://mirrors.ecology.uni-kiel.de/games/liflg/wine/

Oh yeah, try that too :)

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

GIMP supports Python scripting now, which is insanely powerful if you're willing to put a little time into learning it.

9. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Did that and I magaed to eject the cd and insert the second disk but the installer doesnt recognise it as disk 2, whats the opposite of wine eject :)

Cheers

Z

10. proffesso

proffesso Member

not everyone wants to be a TD elvis :)

i'll try linux out as a workstation in a couple of weeks on my macbook, just right now for this project I need XSI drive mapped, not UNC paths...otherwise I would try now.

can gimp open PSD from cs2 / cs3? namely the adjust layers is what i use frequently.

11. elvis

Python scripting isn't limited to TDs. I would suggest even to the most basic users to learn some menial commands.

Batching things like mass resize, crop and rename - these sorts of things are fairly trivial, and can shave hours off your workflow. Likewise if you wanted to colour correct a folder full of images by the same amount - a quick 2-liner script and you're done.

On the same topic, check out ImageMagick:
    http://www.imagemagick.org/

Again, an insanely powerful tool, but don't feel you need to learn it inside out. Any good artist worth their paycheck should have access to an array of tools. Nobody's asking you to be a programming guru. But knowing half a dozen command-line ImageMagick tricks that shave hours of a job get you noticed.

You wouldn't get by knowing just one GUI application. And likewise, you don't need to be a Photoshop master to use the most common Photoshop tools. A few scripts and a bit of command line stuff can really make a difference. Don't be afraid of the CLI. It's way more powerful than most people realise, particularly when it comes to the repetitive part of the creative industries - the part nobody really enjoys, and the part that becomes a big black hole of time and money if not managed right.

Yes, GIMP can read from and write to PSD files.

12. ScrumpyJim

ScrumpyJim Member

Alright. Today's the day. I picked up a spindle of DVD-R's to clear off my hard drive. Today is the last day that I shall have windows installed on my PC.

As soon as I'm done burning all this shit off, I'll be installing ubuntu and (hopefully) not looking back.

It's all a little exciting :D

13. Semi-Evolved

Semi-Evolved Member

Grouping Linux and commercial UNIX so tightly in your praise is somewhat of a misnomer; they're rather different beasts in terms of what's available, possible and what they're suitable for.

To be fair, the top-end market isn't dominated by Linux either; commercial Unix and oracle/db2 is the name of the game there, which as I've mentioned is a rather different beast.

Gnome and KDE are quite configurable, but they're still a far cry from what MacOS in particular offers in general polish up-front. In some ways, I very much agree with Gnome's policy of having less configurability with good defaults, but it's something that Gnome is still some way off having as compared to the commercial offerings. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the capabilities of group policies either; combined with Windows' user admin tools, it's a rather powerful way of easily administrating vast numbers of users.

14. elvis

That too is changing. RedHat Linux is stealing quite a lot of market share away from the HPUXs and Solarises of this world. Sun know it - they are now letting Dell and IBM re-sell Solaris on their kit. Take that as Sun's official admission that they need to expand and diversify in order to survive.

Secondarily, Oracle themselves now have their officially supported "Unbreakable Linux".

UNIX certainly has had the upper hand in the ultra-high end of business for quite some time. But you'll find more and more businesses and governments moving away from it. I just turned down a contract with Queensland Government's Main Roads department (due only to lack of time, sadly) to help them migrate their entire collection of Solaris and AIX databases systems across to RedHat Linux. And the sorts of stuff they require in terms of both performance and high availability wasn't small-to-medium by any stretch of the imagination.

Looking at the rapidly developing present, Linux is chewing away at market share of both commercial UNIX as well as Windows, and it's doing so faster than anyone else. Dell and HP have both made press releases in the last 6 months saying that Linux server growth is higher than any other system at the moment, and looks to be staying that way for some time.

15. Commie_Mike

Commie_Mike Member

so true, i bought a laptop with windows vista pre installed ( i neither wanted nor paid for it). slow laggy as shit, just a resource whore in general. installed ubuntu linux (feisty) expecting the same amount of 'fun' as i had using a very early version of knoppix and topologilinux but as it turns out, it's fantastic, far easier than i thought it would be and i highly doubt it'd be above anyone who already knows how to use windows...

also, open office and GIMP look pretty sweet for free programs...

16. Semi-Evolved

Semi-Evolved Member

Most definitely, I was just commenting on the current state of things :).

17. Witch

Witch Member

I just wanted to say that this is a really good thread. I'm not entirely sure why, but certainly the lack of trolling is a factor, and there is much useful information and analysis.

Thankyou all.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  18. influx

influx Member

The funny thing is I thought the question of "is Linux ready yet" would come up pretty often, but I did a search and a five year old thread was the newest one.

I have to say I haven't tried Linux since around 2002, Windows does everything I want from a desktop, and Microsoft's pricing for students has been quite reasonable lately.

19. Hamal

Hamal Member

Windows can't even come close to what I want to do. There's simply too much software available at no cost with linux. Sure, there is some overhead in regards to less efficient workflows, but if it gets the job done at the right price point then I'd rather do that than not at all.

20. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

I get things done way faster in Linux than Windows, from installation, maintenance to everyday use. I'm a power user and Windows idiot-shield GUI just slows me down.