Linux - Stop holding our kids back

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Vulkanyaz, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Vulkanyaz

Vulkanyaz Member

How ignorant can people be? :lol:

Continue:
    http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/linux-stop-holding-our-kids-back.html

2. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

3. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

She probably got Linux confused with other things college kids tried like drugs, mud wrestling and orgies.

4. Drunkmunky

Drunkmunky Member

I doubt that, all of those things are awesome!!

I read this on slash just before, quite amusing :)

5. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

It just goes to show that the Dilbert Principle really does exist. In fact this event bears a remarkable similarity to the Tuttle Incident.

Ignorance knows no bounds...

6. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

Yeah she may think so but we can't allow kids to have all the awesome stuff, can we? :leet: Need to give them some incentives to grow up.

7. stmok

stmok Member

I think we should be more patient with the ignorant. Even I am guilty of ignorance from time to time. (But I am learning quickly.)

Some quotes...

From The Matrix.
    From Gandhi.
    From Will Durant.
    In due time, this teacher (Karen) will learn from her mistake. Mainly because of these words.

The most powerful thing about the idea of open source isn't the software itself, the sharing of ideas and code, or the community. Its realisation. The realisation that there is more to things than what has been placed in front of us.

8. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

You mean more than what is put in front of us that doesn't have a price tag.

9. zef.

zef. Member

Yeah if by recent you mean from 5 years ago. :rolleyes:

10. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Um this has to be fake, no one would write something so dumb would they?

11. pipsqeek

pipsqeek Member

Hhahah, clearly you haven't met enough people on this planet yet.

If it's true, stupid.
    If it's false, funny.

12. Stinger

Stinger Member

If it's true, funny.
    If it's false, stupid.

13. stmok

stmok Member

Here's an update to this story...
    => http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/character-assasinations-aint-us.html

For convenience...

Now do you folks understand why I say to be patient?

14. alch

alch Member

Fuck yeah, Rip her a new one Ken!

15. nakey

nakey Member

Nope. should have had the FLOSS community tear her a new arsehole

Student being disruptive. fair call
    The confiscation of those disks because the student is being disruptive, and possibly because of the material could contain nasty stuff. fair call

emailing someone, incorrectly accusing them of supporting piracy, and accusing that what IS a cornerstone of the modern computing world (admittedly not in the desktops of Luddites, but the greater world) is holding children back, AFTER all of that?

Nope. Should have been named, shamed, and fed to the wolves.

not only has she gotten off lightly (let's be realistic, she DID NOT get the wolves of FLOSS hounding her. Ken's website and /., yes, but not her.), she acted like a prissy little drama queen when she was alerted of Teh Intarweb's (IMO pathetic) reaction to her myopic viewpoint.

As far as i'm concerned, Ken did not receive an apology. just a drama queen who's successfully gained the sympathy of someone doing good things for the community, something i dare say this narrowminded little wench is failing miserably given her role as a teacher and educator

I'm not a Linux user. I am a Microsoft apologist. I am the lone voice in recommending vista amongst my support base. yet this... this... her myopicness... ill-advised for a general member of a public. utterly utterly inexcusable for an educator.

16. stmok

stmok Member

And how does that help open source in general? Oh, that's right...It doesn't. It scares people away.

Who is the bigger person; One who shows the ignorance of the other through realisation and understanding? Or one who attacks ignorant people with such emotional rage?

The former melts ignorance away. The latter gains you an enemy.

No, they shouldn't.

You don't know her, yet you are already judging someone by their ignorance. Why would FLOSS waste time on a single tiny distraction?

As long as she has learned from her mistake, it matters very little in the long term scheme of things. Does this single teacher affect the entire development of the Linux Kernel? Samba? Xorg? Blender? Wine? Debian? Ubuntu? etc...No, she does not.

A little ironic don't you think?

You're knocking on an ignorant teacher, and yet, you're recommending a product that the mass market has pretty much rejected, and even Microsoft admits (in subtle fashion), is a marketing failure...There's a reason why Windows 7 exists.

To top it off, its Microsoft that has created this ignorance through the infestation of their products and infrastructure via the world's education systems. Everybody who's seen what's going on knows the concept of "get them while they're young".

By carefully making their software abundantly available (severely discounting the cost of their software licenses or giving it away for free to students and educators), they hope to secure dependence of their solutions, and thus, future profits.

So who's more harmful to FLOSS in the long run?

A single ignorant teacher who can be easily re-educated for her mistakes?

OR

A multi-billion dollar corporation who's hellbent on dominating the computer industry by any means?

When placed in this context, it doesn't take a genius to see why FLOSS isn't wasting its time on an ignorant teacher, when there are far bigger fish to fry.

17. cwisfa

cwisfa Member

I have just, well, realised how great an idea Linux is.

It really never appealed to me due to a lack of features (more so games) than Windows, but now I guess in a sense through this article, it's more than a OS, not to sound cheezy.

Beginning to read this article I was quite enraged because to make a such statement, especially to people on OCAU- it's ridiculous, almost as stupid as calling a monitor a computer.

Reading his reply, though, I found his response very mature and well-thought through, and the perspective that we should hold.

Yes, she did something wrong, and that's totally out of line- but hey, she didn't know better. She made a decision that was based on what she had been taught, and in this case, she had been taught ineffectively.

I say well done, Ken- you kept your cool in the presence of a totally uninformed and ignorant comment, it's the attitude we should really be taking towards uneducated users who don't know anything past the realm of Microsoft...