Linux users post your desktop!

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Oblong Cheese, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Smakked

Smakked Member

2. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

I've been going nuts on theming lately. And for some reason, really taking a liking to Matrix like theming (green/black).

I completely disabled all keyboard shortcuts and remapped them all to a personal set. My missus keeps telling me how quick I can do things! :lol:

Upon login, this is what I get. Same wallpaper here. But I have a keyboard shortcut to bring up my menu to launch Terminator.

<image removed by foxmulder881>

Terminator launches with my preset Matrix background with green text for terminal input. Also using the Matrix screensaver for when I am away and screen is locked.

I'm still using the same icon theme. Theme is actually the same too but I just modified the window borders and controls. Kept the same fonts too for ease of readability.

And the OCAU NightShades theme blends in well! :thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  3. Swathe

Swathe (Banned or Deleted)

Just did up a simple conky

EDIT:aded portage info

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

I've made my system even more lightweight than before. Fluxbox+AWN. Same theme and icon set and the same wallpaper as before only the earth has been turned green.

Moved the slit panel up to the top.

5. antipody

antipody Member

Today I installed a neat little live Earth background in natty.

Click to view full size!

It updates the clouds and illuminated circle, which is pretty neat, although I prefer Desktop Earth as it can span multiple monitors and has more options, but like several other bits of software I crave, it's only for windows...

6. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

Just added conky for a bit of fun. And installed the Linux 3.0 kernel.

Also updated to Firefox 6.0 beta 1.

7. Smakked

Smakked Member

Like what?
    What are you missing?

8. antipody

antipody Member

Not much. I'm surprisingly catered for in Ubuntu. As I've said elswhere here I now actually prefer Libre write and GIMP to Word and PS :thumbup: ...although regarding Libre office I'm still not getting great results converting to and from Office files, and had some stability issues with LIbre Impress.

Some graphing software I like and bought a license for would be nice too.

Recently there's the ATO's e-tax app.

When I was trading on my PC most of the broker software was typically PC only too.

Then there's my games collection. Not such an issue now as I don't really play them anymore, but will probably get sucked into buying the BF3 when it comes out.

That's about it really, but hey, I've set up a Virtualbox install of XP for all that now (except for the games), so all good. Linux really has impressed the pants off me :D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  9. L4ncer

L4ncer Member

Is there any way of having iTunes or something that works with an iPhone on Linux? Really keen to make some form of Linux my main OS but due to having iPhone I can't really make the switch just yet :(

10. Smakked

Smakked Member

Sell it and buy an android based phone, kill too birds with one stone with that. :D

It can be done but i think it is a bit or work, havent really looked just what i have heard. the latest version of libimobiledevice, then get the latest versions of libgpod and gtkpod.

11. IKT

IKT Member

^ a million times this.

I have used an ipod with linux in the past, I believe songbird supported it at the time, not sure how well they do these days though but I would recommend a droid anyway.

12. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

For those of you that may be running Gnome-Shell as your desktop, there seems to be a couple of half decent looking themes coming out into the wild.

http://alturl.com/8zogx

13. antipody

antipody Member

Gnome 3 looks sharp. Looks like a nice upgrade from unity. I like the similar hit your windows key to search for any app thingy. That's what I've missed about unity since going back to classic. Anyone using it?

Tried installing in natty last night but crashed the system :( Might try again tonight.

14. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

I don't use either Unity or Gnome anymore, but my understanding was Ubuntu was trying to get Gnome-Shell stable for a 11.10 release. 11.04 was more a Unity priority. But the developers do want to have both options available and stable.

15. tr3nton

tr3nton Member

Giving cairo dock a go.

[​IMG]

Is there a way to make a panel always on top? i.e. i've disabled the expand option, but want it to be on top of windows rather than leaving the gap at the bottom of the screen (which i've only managed to do by the auto hide option, except i dont want it to hide).

16. IKT

IKT Member

[​IMG]

Liking this wallpaper, shame I usually have 10 things open on top of it. =/

17. antipody

antipody Member

Here's my tablet's desktop. Natty, in classic mode. The gnome panel at the top and Docky at the bottom works perfect . Don't really have any desire to add the unity menu, although haven't seen if 11.10 offers anything extra.

Click to view full size!

Still using one of the desktop images provided with natty. It's quite a nice pic.

18. IKT

IKT Member

Which tablet?

19. antipody

antipody Member

Fujitsu T2010u, which tragically, is no longer available...

IMO tis a big shame so much effort has recently gone into emulating ipads, when a machine like this is far more functional (having a keyboard and stylus).

I did have to dig up some obscure drivers for screen rotation, and find some software pdf annotating etc, but once that was done its a great fit for natty.

The only downside of the machine is that it gets a bit hot and noisy when under load, but natty does that less often to it than vista.

20. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

[​IMG]
    Nothing fancy, but meh I rarely see it.