Linux users post your desktop!

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Oblong Cheese, Feb 27, 2008.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Servers running non-LTS distros? No thanks.

2. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

i've got a nas server running 4.15 and btrfs, i'm fooked

elvis likes this.
  3. cvidler

cvidler Member

RAID6 as well?

elvis likes this.
  4. Statitica

Statitica Member

That's because MacOS literally is BSD.
    I would argue, though, that if you're having to fire up the terminal in either MacOS, or linux, or Windows, you're operating at a level beyond the average end user.

5. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Considering most software can now be downloaded via various software centers under most popular packaged Linux distro's these days, I'd say that's a fair assumption. However even package managers are similar between macOS and a Debian based distro like Ubuntu. Debian based operating systems use .deb and macOS uses .dmg, both are very similar in operation.

My belief is that anyone that frequents an enthusiast based forum such as OCAU should have an understanding of operating systems beyond Windows and have at least a basic understanding of the terminal/CMD prompt under all three operating systems.

6. Statitica

Statitica Member

Possibly.

But there are likely more people like myself who came to these forums because of the photography section, or motoring, or food and lifestyle.

Personally, I'm just happy if someone can use an "alternative" office suite without freaking out.

7. flu!d

I freak out when I have to pay for the ever increasing subscription charges related to Office 365, especially considering that I never use it and do 100% of my work under Libre Office including the daily running of my business. :(

I actually prefer the interface of Libre Office. I hate the ribbon.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  8. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

This was my desktop. (arch + gnome + whatever) Just built a new PC and have been playing with windows for a bit while I try some newer games.

God knows how it will look when I set up Linux on the new rig. God bless options.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    perrymitchell likes this.
  9. flu!d

A little bit of WINE action?

10. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Yeah, gotta get my Diablo fix. :)

Fortunately most other games I play have native linux versions.

flu!d likes this.
  11. flu!d

Was that the steam version of Diablo or a standalone version?

12. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

No blizzard games on steam unfortunately. All the steam games were natives, just Diablo and it's launcher running through wine.

13. flu!d

Of course! Brain fart on my behalf!

I should try this.

14. theyesmen

theyesmen Member

I thought with the recent release of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and Fedora 28, I'd see what people have done to their desktops and what sort of changes people have made. Of course, it can be any Linux distro, not just the two I mentioned.

I have two systems running Ubuntu 18.04 and two running Fedora 28. While the two F28 systems are relatively stock standard, I've been spending a particular amount of time and attention to my main system which is on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

This morning I made some changes, tweaks and cleanups in my Firefox browser. I have changed the theme so it matches the rest of my desktop theme more. It's not an exact match on color and AMD gaming theme, but pretty close and I am happy with the results. In Firefox, I also cleaned up my add-on icons in toolbar, brushing them all into the Overflow button. I'm enjoying the cleaner interface now. Also, I set my Bookmarks Toolbar to auto-hide so they only appear when I hover the mouse over the area. It makes for a nice additional cleanup tweak, yet still have them accessible when you need them.

[​IMG]

The rest of my system is themed the AMD gaming. Tweaks I have made include the desktop background, XFCE panel custom color change to match the background. Also, I tweaked the Midnight Commander color and appearance to match and also my terminal console. On the finer side of things, I tweaked the panel clock so it's digital, has seconds and ticks. A small tweak, but actually makes for a really nice appearance of flow for the entire panel. Lastly, I tweaked the color of the CPU/RAM/Network monitors so the bars were the same color. Again, all small panel tweaks but do a lot to finishing off the finer polish. I think I am pretty happy with the overall look at the moment and can't see myself making any further big changes anytime soon.

[​IMG]

von Stalhein likes this.
  15. flu!d

Looks great theyesmen!

Here's my current desktop, still running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS, I think I'll stick with this until the 18.04 point release. If it ain't broke, I see no need to fix it!

How did you get that transparency on Firefox?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

17. theyesmen

theyesmen Member

18. flu!d

Ah, I see, transparency is part of that square red theme - Looks cool!

Thanks re: My wallpaper. Honestly, I just searched for 3840x1200 wallpapers and it was one of the first I came across! I like it though, this is my work machine and such wallpapers keep me calm. ;)

19. flu!d

Just downloaded the Square Blue theme:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    theyesmen likes this.
  20. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Is this the same these used by Budgie Ubuntu? https://ubuntubudgie.org/portfolio/screenshots