Linux Workflow

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by zeeps, Oct 27, 2017.

1. zeeps

zeeps Member

I have recently switched to Ubuntu Studio with KDE.
    Are there any other open source photographers here.

If so what is your work flow like?

2. Andre Moon

Andre Moon Member

Howdy fellow Linux Photog!

I've been using Fedora (desktop) & Solus (laptop) for about the two years initially just to try something different with a view to move away from Adobe and their subscription services.
    Don't get me wrong, they make great industry standard software, I'm just not into the 20% price hike, each year, 2 years running :thumbdn:

My (simple) workflow is as follows which is a work in progress.

Rapid Photo Downloader to get my photos from cards to laptop saving to $HOME/PICTURES/CAMERA/YYMM/
    I usually just develop (nikon) raws in Darktable, importing a folder at a time and using colour labels (F1-F4) to mark which are being worked on and which are finished
    I've also started to understand I should be tagging my images as well so I've delved into DigiKam and what is has to offer in that regard

It's a boring job (the tagging and organisation part) that has really powerful applications once you've added all the information you can to your photographic archive.

As I'm shooting only for artistic and personal endeavors, it's a fairly relaxed (read lazy) approach to organising and exporting images.

I do shoot a bit of film (35mm colour) but my scanner, Plustek 8200i isn't supported on any flavour of Linux so I've taken old scans I've done on a windows XP machine and I've been playing with them in Darktable with acceptable results.

The next thing I'll be doing this year is colour calibration / profiling of my camera, laptop screen and desktop monitor. Should be an interesting and hopefully fruitful exercise.

I also started a thread over on pixls.us about tagging which had some great suggestions if you'd like to have a look
    https://discuss.pixls.us/t/ive-avoided-tagging-my-images-for-too-long/5837

Apart from that, I've played with Rawtherapee a small amount but always come back to Darktable because of it's powerful masking functions.

Harry Durgin from weeklyedit.com is a great resource for darktable edits on screen, technically very proficient too.

Riley Brandt has a Open Source Photography Course I've recently purchased too and I'll be making my way through that.

Anyway hope that helps

Andre