Lisa Saad, Australian award winning photographer caught stealing images

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by EvilGenius, Feb 21, 2019.

1. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Story has been pretty big over the last couple of weeks, but thought I'd throw it up here. Award winning Melbourne photographer Lisa Saad has been busted plagiarising the work of others in multiple award winning entries. The AIPP recently stripped her of her 2018 win and are investigating multiple other images.

Full details and ongoing commentary on the photo stealers blog.

http://stopstealingphotos.com/lisa-saad-photographer-melbourne-australia/

My main take away from this isn't that someone plagiarised others work and got caught, but rather, wtf is photography becoming that Australia's top professional photographer won with images that in my view represent the work of a graphic artist, not a photographer.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, looking at just the first part of that link, wouldn't it have been obvious to the judges that those little images were clipart?
    I'll keep reading, to see whether there's any enlightenment, but as an observer coming into this completely afresh, those images definitely seem to me to be graphic art rather than photography.

3. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Those 'photography' comps have been that way for some time tho..

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

When I think "photography" I think of your work. A photograph of something. Not a composite artwork.

5. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I haven't really looked much into any of the photo comps, so I guess it comes as a bit of a surprise for me. Especially if you take into account the sort of controversy sparked recently by Peter Lik's 'Moonlit Dream'. He was eventually harangued into admitting the photo was a composite. Well duh.. so many might say. But even with that image, there's no question in anyone's mind that composite or no, it's a composite of actual photos. Looking at the works presented above.. they could be water colour paintings for all I can tell.

6. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

there was a huge discussion when she was named with the award, some other prominent members/photographers called out what many thought - that yes its illustration rather than photography.
    I personally agree that its not photography.

The local royal show comp has a section for altered reality, and i find it cool but yeah the photography bit gets me with some images.

7. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

haha thanks broccoli..

I think the distinction of what a 'photo' should be is is that it's a single image with overall adjustments. Anything other than that and it turns into a photoshop contest rather than the skill of using a camera to create art.

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

For photography, for sure. I like some of those images, but it isn't photography, it's collage.

The other aspect from my brief exposure to this from the link is that it has to be honest. You can get clipart from the internet that you are allowed to use freely, but identify the sources of others' work that you've incorporated and if you've altered an image to show something that did not exist (like sticking a bloody great moon in it) then say so, and don't call it a photo. If you are pretending about any aspect, you are a cheat.

EDIT: oh, and pinching from another photographer is pure theft.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  9. herzeg

herzeg Member

“Every image has been photographed, so all the little elements I’ve gone out and photographed, and then I’ve combined them into Photoshop and so they look probably more like photo illustrations,” Saad stated.

And on her blog, Saad wrote that the bonsai tree seen on the top-right of the heart was her mother’s.

“My mothers death, felt so strongly during those long nights that I grieved through my images and this was the turning point,” Saad writes. “This image is dedicated to my mother (it is her bonsai that sits so proudly at the top).”

A clip-artist and a fraud, but definitely not a photographer; what gets me is not the fact that "her" work was considered photography, but done so by "esteemed" organisations in the industry - just vomitous shit...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  10. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

That article was a fascinating read, Cheers OP.

I can be a photographer by those standards too:
    DSCF3023.JPG
    With credit for design to Kevan J. Atteberry
    Taken on auto, super macro on a Fujifilm Finepix S5800
    From the image hosted on the wikipedia page for clippy
    Mouth and text added in microsoft paint.

so can I have my photo of the year award and the prize money now??

(took me longer to type this post than do the "art")
    But I gave full credit and actually took a photo, so I figure $5000 for my photo should be fine.
    I can redo the art in photoshop, But I'd insist on a further $5000

You can also take my class. each class is 2 hours long and costs $900 which is actually on sale.

millsy_c and EvilGenius like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Update I hadn't seen last night:

Gonski.

12. Tinian

Tinian Member

Good artists copy; great artists steal.

When I look at what people do with brushes, split toning, layers, tone curves etc. I accept that the photograph is merely part of the art they intend to portray. I doubt it's possible to come up with a strict defintion when you can composite scenes.

13. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

Classy, only in Australia :thumbup:

14. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

How is her work considered professional photography?

15. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Didnt they prove that the bonsai was also a rip-off?

16. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

According to the OP's link, it was.

17. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Pretty sure that was the point.. IE citing her lying about her mum etc = pathetic liar.

18. broccoli

broccoli Member

That's not the worst of her troubles. It said she does advertising work. Any images she's sold to clients that aren't actually hers will have those she sold it to with their hand out for a refund, and possibly compensation.

I don't understand how anyone could think in this day and age where you can search online that you could get away with pinching images or using others' images. I wonder if she's alone, or just the tip of the iceberg.

19. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

This whole debacle has blown up massively in the photography community. The Photo Stealers facebook page has just been flooded with comments from everywhere and everyone.

I really feel sorry for the students who have paid to take on her workshops. They were given a folder of those images and were told that by her that she had gone out and photographed every one of those elements herself and that she gave them permission to use it. They could potentially be in trouble too if they used those images/clipart commercially.

20. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

I'll drop these here, they will probably be removed like everything on her official account.

I'll be interested to hear what the companies she represented say...