Lisa Saad, Australian award winning photographer caught stealing images

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by EvilGenius, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Most have just dropped her without saying much at all. Eizo was the latest from memory. Ilford and Epson were pretty quick when the news first got out.

2. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

This some juicy shit. OP's article link was awesome and satisfying to read. JUSTICE SERVED!

3. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Corey Balazowich (owner of Photo Stealers) got a letter from Lisa's lawyer early on in the piece demanding a public apology and compensation etc. A lot of AIPP members also were quick to jump on Corey and abuse her. She ignored it and found more evidence to post on the site. Funny how now this has all gone down all of those members have gone quiet.

4. iMomOx3

iMomOx3 Member

[​IMG]
    Fun little read haha

Squeezer likes this.
  5. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Ahh, the old <$country> Professional Photography Association Club Society.

Anyone worth their salt creatively knows to stay very well clear of these circlejerk 'organisations'. These organisations are used by people for one or both of the following reasons

- It looks good to your clients on your website, and every other fuckhole has a membership so if you don't potential clients might not pick you
    - You're rubbish creatively, but are very good at lying and gently manipulating people in to thinking you are an 'expert' of some sort, and you can make phat bank off idiots who join said club

I've judged a few small comps in my time and have summarily dismissed work from $insertClubHere members on more than one occasion, much to their dismay. "BUT ALL THE PEOPLE IN MY CIRCLEJERK THINK ITS GREAT?!?!"

Competitions for creative works are largely flawed due to the subjective nature of art itself and can even be very negative for artists, some people do excellent work that isn't "competition friendly" and it can make them question their creative intent or even worse, change their work so it is more fitting for the competition setting. Neither of which typically make for better art.

As trump would say,

"Not even her work, Saad".

firey4059 and Psyentist like this.
  6. Squeezer

Squeezer Member

Pretty sad really that she felt she needed to do this. I do have concerns now about her state of Mental stability after all this turmoil. It would take a great toll. Her work that I have seen is more a composite of Graphic art rather than straight photography. Even with that said I would have thought she would use her OWN photos for the GRaphic composites not just stolen someone elses. I am a bit flabbergasted at what she has done and the repurcussions now that she is outed are going to be brutal. I am sure that others will be uncovered also doing similar stuff

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

Are any of her own images her own work? Obviously, the one that the site identified, and then the elements in others weren't hers, but is there anything that's her own?

8. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Yeah she does shoot her own stuff too.

9. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks, I'm finding it hard to understand why you'd pinch somebody else's work if you are capable of doing your own. :confused:

10. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Lol this happens so often regardless of the circle. So many times I've had people tell me how great their photos are and how their friends thinks their photos are the bombs... and all I see is instagram filters. I want to say something but I just nod and smile. People don't like to hear actual criticism.

11. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

One part of the linked article states:

Interesting to note that the article that that allegedly claims she is "often wrong" no longer makes any such claims, so has obviously been re-written.

12. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah, the irony of course is that one of the best ways to improve your work is to illicit legitimate feedback and act on it.

RyoSaeba likes this.
  13. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

Personally, I think photography club style competitions can do more harm than good.

My first photo club was in a small town, and comprised of about a dozen film photographers and myself. The monthly comps were judged on on old-school values such as form, composition, and lighting with all entries being physically printed out and placed on display. They were a decent bunch of blokes who I think made perfect judges.

My second (and last) camera club was in a capital city, and I was fortunate enough that my first attendence coincided with a comp night where the winners' images were projected onto a screen and the judges stated what they liked about the images. Then the dozens of non-winners' images were displayed and the judges made suggestions on how the images could have been improved. Unfortunately, all the suggestions comprised of statements along the lines of:

"There is too much empty space in this corner of the image, you need to place a seagul or something there"
    "That building is in the wrong spot, you should move it over a bit"
    "That tree should be more symetrical"

It was more about repairing imperfect photos and not about taking a good photo to start with. I left before the end of the meeting.

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

It's also hard for people to know whose criticism might actually help them improve on things that are not "good" in a technical or artistic sense. If you don't know something, you don't know whether what you are being told is coming from somebody who "knows what they are talking about", or not. And then there's taste.....

"Her" work has been considered good. The saddest part is that her skills at composing/manipulating/whatever now mean nothing. If she'd sought and gained permission to use the image(s) she'd maybe be ok (not eligible for those contests, but to create a new derivative properly attributed artwork). She obviously has some talent and now she'll have no outlet for it.

Why? Why would anyone do this?

15. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

$10k cash and $10k Digi Direct voucher was the prize of just one of the 70 odds awards and competitions entered. Add to that a career built around the "Award Winning" photography.

I've been watching this from the beginning (how many other fappers are here? :lol:). Was bad when it was a single image. Maybe if the lawyers weren't threatened so quickly Corey probably wouldn't have continued the investigation and found so many uses of clipart. Here is the link of all the awards affected...
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/10dJbdWrWIB3KNjFM_EZpEBpv3rNMFumClISx_Upub5g/edit?usp=sharing

What is weird is Lisa actually is a very good photographer.

This is going to have a huge effect on photography competitions everywhere.

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

That's the fundamental basis for my question. If you're a clueless lump with no talent or ability in a field who wants to get in on a "scene", you might pinch stuff to be a part of it/try to win prizes. Why pinch stuff if you've got the capability to produce yourself? The talent she does have means nothing, any more. She's wrecked using what abilities she does have by doing this.

17. HorrorLand

HorrorLand Member

I'm sure camera house will have some openings :lol:

^catalyst likes this.
  18. phreeky82

phreeky82 Member

19. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

She seems completely in denial and doesn't give a shit. Perhaps she was advised by legal council not to make any admission of guilt, but after all this, perhaps not.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  20. Dark Orange

Dark Orange Member

What about the person running the Photostealers website? What about *her* mental health? - All she did was make an accusation to make her a target by lawyers with big sticks sent by Saad. Meanwhile Saad has prevented dozens of (hopefully) legitimate photographers from getting the prizes and glory they truely deserve and bring Australian photography into disrepute. Fuck Saad, no sympathy at this end.

zeggie likes this.