List the significant (now-retro) hardware you have literally thrown away this century

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by shredder, Jul 20, 2020.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

To be fair on my younger self you can't keep everything, but I do wonder at some of the stuff I tossed. Like the few big box games I lashed out on or the boxed sound cards that I loved with all my heart (until the next one came along). Oh well I've had cracking fun over the last 10 years re-acquiring equivalents (and a whole lot more :Pirate:).

rugger and JidaiGeki like this.
  2. power

power Member

thems fightin' words.

rugger and adz like this.
  3. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

[​IMG]

JSmith

rugger and adz like this.
  4. rugger

rugger Member

it will be an easy fight!

Years at starring into blurry CRTs will have ruined whatever eyesight you had left :)

adz and JSmithDTV like this.
  5. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Years of lugging them around will compensate for that. My only regrets was chucking my SMS and MD2 out. All other stuff I have given away eg 19 and 21" CRTs or dropped off at the tip show who resell most of it.

Alby1976 likes this.
  6. ohayes

ohayes Member

Lets see:

17inch and 21 inch CRT monitors
    60 and 80cm CRT TVs
    486, Pentium 2, 3, 4, Athlon XP, Athlon X2 systems
    GFX cards from Voodoo 3, Geforce 2 MX, Radeon 9500, 6800GT etc.
    Original Xbox, PS2, Wii, PSP

elvis likes this.
  7. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

Sold my voodoo3 PCI to a buddy at school for $20. Wish I still had it, not for what its worth now but because it's such a versatile card for old retro boxes. Guess that's why they are so expensive now.

I've gotten rid of heaps and heaps of PC hardware but honestly it had to go at the various times. It couldn't follow me around everywhere through 4 interstate moves, especially when renting small places. Maybe one day if I ever own a place I'll be more inclined to keep a collection but keeping stuff around has a material cost.

8. power

power Member

hmmm

upload_2020-7-21_15-47-20.png

elvis, Zubrick and adz like this.
  9. Zubrick

Zubrick Member

In ten years time he will be back in this thread writing about his regrets

10. rugger

rugger Member

I have a couple of 478 socket motherboards for P4, a 775 socket P4 board and a few P4s processors.

I'm more than sorted for P4 boards. I prefer Athlon 64 systems instead.

11. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Then you woke up and it was all a dream? That's what happened to me when I thought I'd found all my old gear.

12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

[​IMG]

;)

JSmith

BiggusDickus and flu!d like this.
  13. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

I still have an old Amstrad PPC512 and it still worked last time I fired it up. Non-back lit mono LCD, 2x 720k floppy drives and no hdd. Was great for old DOS games with an external greyscale CGA monitor.

I have parted out and scrapped hundreds of computers over the years, mostly 486-Pentium III. Scrapped the expansion cards for gold, gave the motherboards and remaining scraps to an e-waste recycler. Including many super 7 boards. The money I could have made if I had kept them and sold them on eBay now. But I would have needed an aircraft hanger. I remember once hearing about something called 'the great computer round up' or something like that. It was a free e-waste collection spot. When I went there they had a shipping container that was half full of old computers - and they wouldn't let me in there with a screwdriver!

14. power

power Member

It was real!!

15. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Ah, Giorgio Moroder 80s synth tunes and movies with poor story lines, those were the days...

JSmithDTV likes this.
  16. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol, I was joking about him being dead to me, were actually best of mates, we just piss each other off every now and then as thats what brothers do. Id travel to the other side of the planet for him on a whim if thats what he wanted me to do, no questions asked.

Lets just say that after that fuck up by him, his surf board went into the trash the next time i was home. hahaha.

I do feel sad sometimes that i lost a few things here and there, but overall , in the scope of things, its nothing. In the following years, ive either replaced those items, (and havent used them since) , or actually thought good riddance (yeah i am looking at you 180mhz O2) modded to 200mhz... lol like that actually did anything at all.. I had 4 or 5 of those.. pretty sure Redhatter used of my 200mhz ones to get Linux to run on Mips, I cant remember if i sold him one or just gave it to him at the time) Pretty sure he was up in Newcasle at the time. either way, i am trailing off.. those boxes, all probably went to a good home. wernet on the side of the road for longer than 1 day my brother recons.

so yeah lol we all lose some and win some.

FIREWIRE1394 and JSmithDTV like this.
  17. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

I have much bigger regrets over cars than I do computer hardware, but this is Overclockers I guess lol. UC Torana with a 202 red motor (first car, so much fun) written off, HQ GTS Monaro 350 four door written off, HT V8 wagon ex show car crashed then traded for $2k and a stereo (wtf), VB SLE traded in on a fucking RAV 4 for my then girlfriend... fuck.

Anyway... to get back on topic. I don't remember throwing stuff out as such, it's more that I have no idea what happened to it. Some stuff I gave away, but I don't remember selling much at all so I guess the bulk must have been thrown out.

Umm I had a really nice 17" flat screen Viewsonic CRT. Had a Canopus Voodoo1 6mb, that was pretty cool. Aureal 3D sound card, that was awesome at the time and probably still would be now. I started owning PC's around the MMX era so I don't have anything earlier than that. Played on PC's long before with friends, but that's when I had my own. First PC was the P166 MMX, along with shit... I think 16mb ram and a 6.4GB HDD? It was amazing at the time. Probably be worth something now, but was a throwaway item after a couple of upgrades back then.

Then there's something I found that I hadn't thrown away...
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/pc-with-abit-bp6-and-2x-400-celerons.1287138/

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Vanne likes this.
  18. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

same here, I have to move around a lot and each time a bunch of stuff goes. on the plus side i try to give away before I dump it including 0 res auctions on ebay so the amount of things i've literally thrown away is very small. i did give away or sell very cheap a bunch of stuff i wish i could have kept though.

19. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

Cray Super Computer (Y-MP EL90) the size of a 2/3 height fridge, contracted from my work to do so. 'nuff said. -_- Much regret to this day, I even asked to take it but was denied because of apparent security around it.

elvis likes this.
  20. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Bugger... at least you can take solace in the fact the answer to life the universe and everything has already been found and is 42. ;)

JSmith

Vanne likes this.