Litecoin mining LTC/FTC/DGC/ETC (Do not offer items for sale in this thread)

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by ernie, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Pengoz

Pengoz Member

Tried it all man :(

I'm think about getting this: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/A88XPRO/#specifications as it has 2x PCIe 2.0/3.0 x16 (so x8/x8). That said people run off x1 fine... still it leaves me wondering as even tho I'm running in x8 mode (with one capped to x4 coz of the slot) I should still have enough lanes/bandwith...

So that makes me think getting a new board won't help.

Instead as others have touched on mixing 280X(aka 7970) + 7950 is why I have the problem I have and I'd just have it on every motherboard.

I've even tried running sperate instances of cgminer so I can run different threads, but nup.. no good. As soon as I remove a card and use the same settings that I was using in a 2 card config up it goes to 700 or 650..

So something is holding back the cards..

Click to view full size!

GPU0 = 280X
    GPU1 = 7950
    GPU2 = IGP

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. aokman

aokman Member

I found the main cause was the shitty design of most of the 7950/7970 coolers, they would dump the majority of the heat out the top of the card where it was then sucked back in to the card above and preheated the air :mad:

Best solution I found for rigs that are mounted in cases is to make sure it has a large powerful fan on the side panel above the cards to suck the heat out as fast as possible away from all the cards.

3. Pengoz

Pengoz Member

I just leave the side off my case... noise = A380! :)

4. aokman

aokman Member

Unfortunately for my "free power" rig I had to make it as normal as possible, it still sounds like a jet with the Delta's in there and provides free central heating for the building :lol:

I run most of mine at home in cases but they have 5800rpm NIDEC fans in there trying to blow the cases over :lol:

I think you will find its not really a card issue. Like I said I ran into the same problem when I tried to add a spare 6870 to my 2 x 7970 rig. It caused the 7970's to drop to around 500kh/s leaving me back at square one.

Seems to be some sort of hardware limitation or software bug in the bus possibly related to the system being limited to the slowest card installed in certain areas?

5. Pengoz

Pengoz Member

Yeah must be something like that, so I might as well sell the 7950 and get an asus 280x.

I'll take $240 or the equivalent btc based off coinjar spot price of AUD/BTC if anyone is interested. The proceeds will subsidise the purchase of an asus 280x. So if you got a 7950 and want another one, hit me up. Help a brother out :)

The 7950 is the Sapphire DualX Edition.

6. aokman

aokman Member

probably, or separate the rigs and add more cards ;)

7. Pengoz

Pengoz Member

Only have the one rig....

8. aokman

aokman Member

we all say that, its only a matter of time :cool:

9. Pengoz

Pengoz Member

I used to have more than one, specifically a dedicated mining rig and more 7950s but I got rid of it.. Oh yeah had access to free power too, but all thats gone now.

....and yeah I know it sucks :(

10. shredder

shredder Member

I used to run one of those next to my Gigabyte 7950's.

By comparison the Sapphire was so much hotter and noisier and less capable.

Sapphire's reputation as a good mining brand is based on old cards like the 5000 and 6000 series. I've never seen their modern cards cut it. They suck, in short. Rarely will you see people recommending Sapphire cards these days.

11. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

Mining DOGE at the moment. It seems profitable at the moment and I can only see it go up in the coming months. Time to stock up on it.
    I can't see this DOGE / BTC listed on Cryptsy? Is it ever going to list?

12. harrye30

harrye30 Member

Doge/btc Is listed already

13. r3zn0r

r3zn0r Member

it should be there traded mine last week for LTC. worked out about the same as mining LTC...

14. doubter

doubter Member

i am lookin into setting up DGE mining rig. Lookin for suggestions on what I should get for $1250.. will be going the milk crate route so case wont be needed.

15. paulbagz

paulbagz Member

For that amount you may as well go for a 3-4x 280x rig or try and find some 7950s in the $300 range.

1+KW PSU and a cheap 1150 board and Pentium CPU.

This is all if you're going down the brand new road.

-PB

16. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

Thanks Harry.
    Oops I must of turn OFF that DOGE/BTC in my setting. :o:o

17. SpaceFrog

SpaceFrog Member

Ghetto R9 290 Fan mod
    1. Cut shroud to reveal Heatsink
    2. Place CPU HSF on top

Click to view full size!

To avoid issues with warranty I did not cut the original shroud, I took it off a dead Nvidia 8800GTX.

Much quieter, Can run stock fan at 45% With the CPU fan at full speed I'm getting 86C at 28C ambient.

18. harrye30

harrye30 Member

Speaking of needing cooling. I've got plenty of 120mm fans for sale atm. Never been used as I brought heaps for my fan wall.

19. tkxmoe

tkxmoe Member

Make / Model / Sizes?

20. harrye30

harrye30 Member

High performance yate loons and some cooler master ones that have Bay or pcie mounted fan controllers. There's a for sale thread you can find through my profile. Model numbers and picks are up there.