Litecoin mining LTC/FTC/DGC/ETC (Do not offer items for sale in this thread)

Discussion in 'Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Mining' started by ernie, Apr 3, 2013.

1. r3s

r3s Member

Changed my miners back to hashco.ws , have set black/mint/eac/net/sxc/doge/volt/wdc/moon to be paid to me and the rest to get autoconverted to btc.

Changing coins all the time is soooo time consuming :/

My htpc FINALLY got relected in Timekoin, what a clusterfuck that was, losing almost 1 month of uptime :/

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. spedwards

spedwards Member

My latest stats have rejects around 20%, so yes I'm getting lots.

3. flinchy

flinchy Member

will do when i get home

oh, it was just BAMT mostly.. so one line for address, next for wallet, next for password, all formatted correctly.

also, i bought 30k BlackCoin @ 2175 satoshi.. pretty pleased with the 2700+ right now ;D

4. munchkin1

munchkin1 Member

Bastard, I have like 4000 lol only started mining yesterday and haven't bought any, too scared :p

Passed block 5000 now so PoS is active. Looks like coin will be fully mined within a few days, so will be very interesting to see what happens with it!

5. bloodnok

bloodnok Member

I got my first dedicated mining box running last night, and have a few questions for the old hands...

Firstly, what Linux distro do you use? The box I used happened to have an existing Ubuntu installation on it, so I figured I'd use that for now. But getting the catalyst drivers to run turned out to be a complete faff, not the seamless process that it was made out to be. When I have another go (I'm planning to shift to a USB thumbstick install at some point) I'll have a free choice of distro - is one of the others easier to set up for mining?

Secondly, is running X essential? I'm not planning to use this box interactively at all once it's in it's final location, so I've no need for a GUI, and X seems like an unnecessary overhead for the box to be running. However, all the howtos assume that X is still running (and cgminer doesn't seem to want to run without it).

Thirdly, what do you use for a case? I'm looking to transplant this machine out of a normal PC case into some kind of open frame for ultimate airflow.

Anyway, I started off last night with a basic config getting 570khash/sec (on a pair of 7850s). It locked up sometime overnight. I've worked on the airflow a bit, and (same config!) it was running at 620khash/sec this morning after I restarted it. I guess it was getting rather warm in the previous configuration. Hopefully it'll stay up all day, and then I can work on getting it up to the speed it should be able to do once it's stable...

6. Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

Hey all got a question for the GPU gurus...

Currently have a 6990 in my Racing Cockpit. Triple screen Eyefininty

Just bought a 7990 to upgrade it.

I want to keep both cards in the rig, with the 7990 used for gaming AND mining (primary), and the 6990 used for only MINING. I need to run the 6990 off a PCIe riser so its not too close to the 7990. These are very hot cards.

How can I make sure windows always uses the 7990 as the gaming card, but makes use of the 6990 also when mining?

Will it just do it automatically if my monitors are plugged into the 7990 and am I over-complicating it?

Cheers!

7. Yoodaa

Yoodaa Member

On another topic, who has cashed out some BTC, and are you going to pay tax on it?

8. Vrm

Vrm Member

Hi Tommo, a 12v 30a power supply will be good for up to 6 individual Gridseed miners.

One controller will support up to 15 miners, you'll also need to buy a powered USB Hub.

I don't think many of these guys starting groupbuys have even seen or setup these gridminers before.

I've had 20 units running for over 6 weeks already. They absolutely destroy my 4x 280x Sapphires (rated 1350, using about 1150w), in terms of heat and electrical costs.

10 Gridseed, controller, usb hub, TOTAL 115Watts!

9. r3s

r3s Member

Just run cgmienr and disable the 2 cores of the 7990 when you want to use it and enable them when u want to race.

10. Excess

Excess Member

I have a similar setup except with 5970s and 6990s. I check the order cgminer sees the cards and only mine with the devices other than the primary core used for gaming. As 0 is usually the primary my cgminer is set to use -d 1,2,3 etc and you can also enable to mine with primary core after you stopped gaming. Only draw back is you cannot set higher intensities on the other cards otherwise you'll lagg regardless of the load on the core.

ATO are still deciding on if bitcoin counts as a foreign currency. I have friends who either made a big withdraws or makes weekly regular withdraws have got private rulings.

11. starkers92

starkers92 Member

Look up BAMT, it's a distro specifically for mining.

The other option would be this: http://www.cryptopros.com/2013/06/perfect-7970-scrypt-coin-setup.html

You can also use windows, which has the advantage of CGWatcher which is good for minimizing downtime, and also you can use MSI Afterburner or similar to test undervolting far quicker than flashing the bios.

12. tkxmoe

tkxmoe Member

aokman clear your inbox please :)

13. stocky

stocky Member

Anyone know which brand 280x is best in terms of power usage?

14. Tommo_Aus

Tommo_Aus Member

Interesting, I have plenty of powered USB hubs but the 60A @ 5v PSU's I bought off eBay to power my block erupters would be my weak link. Maybe I'll stick with SHA256 for now and get the next generation of scrypt ASICs.

Also interested in what to do this EOFY as I've cashed out some BTC, I was thinking I should declare it as income like I do with mobile app sales.

15. solidheat

solidheat Member

Hard to say, depends on how much you can undervolt them, I've had success with Gigabyte OC edition and the Sapphire Dual's with about ~220-230W/card.

16. starkers92

starkers92 Member

I have an Asus 2 slot (non-top) which is 190w (load-idle) at 700kh/s. 1015/1249 @ 1.063 volts. Interestingly the stock bios has TDP at 204w.

17. r3s

r3s Member

Generally the heavy overclock models like Asus TOP and sapphire TOXIC "should" be better binned so should be possible to get the most hash per watt when undervolted :thumbup:

18. spedwards

spedwards Member

I've done the same, albeit only a small amount. I'm thinking that I will as it means that the hardware can be claimed more easily as a deduction. Still trying to get a moment to discuss with a tax agent to get their take things - obviously pending the ATO ruling to come.

19. flinchy

flinchy Member

Yeah i'm not sure what to do... If my rigs aren't tax deductible, then surely the gained coins would be considered a windfall, as how else am i getting them.. no cost, obviously?

if i'm expected to pay some sort of tax, how much woudl it be? and would i therefore, as it's technically income at that point, be able to deduct the equipment and electricity used in gaining that money?

i would rather pay tax somehow and deduct the expenses, than not, for now haha

if i'm expected to pay full income tax however.. yeah not so sure i like that one haha.. or just capital gains tax as technically it's generating a zero value item on a share.. or based off the average value in the period? or ... yeah :/?

if it was the capital gains, that would be ok i guess, and fair enough.. at $8-10k in electricity a year, $8k in hardware costs.. that's $2700 and $3k odd returned.

20. Psycho84

Psycho84 Member

Whats everyone doing with their PTS?

Selling now or waiting and seeing what they get after the 28th and Bitshares go live?