Little Black Box - WC GTX480 in an SG05

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by VeritronX, Jul 26, 2011.

1. VeritronX

VeritronX Member

Mini Update: Build log post on hold, but some pics have been posted.

(Edited) Original Post:

Hey all,
    I've decided to shelve my TJ07 for a while and put my parts into a small box for lans etc, using parts from my main pc. Previous to my current build I had an original Silverstone SG05 with a H50 and 5850, which I sold last year as the 5850 just wasn't enough for my liking and it was the most powerfull card I could use with the 300W PSU at the time.

Now there's a new SG05 out which is all black and comes with the 450W PSU (through a custom order with pccg) so I thought I'd have a go at fitting my GTX 480 into that, with a custom wc setup. This will have to involve some dremel action, as the case is just 6mm longer than the card's pcb. I know this would be easier to fit in an SG06, but as all the heat from the GTX480 is going to be exhausted out the front of the case I didn't want to enclose the front venting like that.

I have actually spent the last week or so thinking about how I could do this, and have a plan and have ordered bits already.

Parts already owned:
    DFI P55 ITX mobo
    8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill RipJaws 2000 9-10-9 1.55v
    Intel i5 750
    G.Skill Falcon 128GB SSD 2.5"
    Hitachi 7200rpm 500GB 2.5"
    Black Ice GTX 120mm rad (old, 35mm)
    Zotac GTX480 (original release card, paid $650 for it lol)
    EK FC480 Nickel Plexi FC block (original release, no flaking or manufacturing defects)
    4x 30cm UV cold cathodes
    2x 10cm UV cold cathodes
    EK 100mm res

Parts on order:

From thekoolroom.com.au
    10w ddc pump (standard 3/8 fittings will be used)
    2ft of Primoflex Clear 3/8ID 5/8OD tubing
    1x Enzotech 3/8 straight fitting
    2x Enzotech 3/8 60deg rotary fitting
    3x Enzotech 3/8 90deg rotary fitting
    Nano Res
    Elite Clamp 5/8OD Black

From pccasegear.com
    Silverstone SG05 Black Cube Mini ITX Case with 450W
    Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fan
    Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 GT Rev 2 CPU Cooler

The parts on order should be arriving before the end of the week, and building should commence this weekend, along with lots of pics. I always forget to take pics, so I've never made a build thread before.. What is the recommended picture hosting / uploading procedure? Last time I uploaded I used imageshack, but i'm guessing that might not me the norm.

Also, free internetz to anyone who can work out what the plan is before I manage to make some decent pics to explain it :) (you've got some time, I'm using a laptop trackpad for the next few days while i'm out of town)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  2. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

FTFY! :p

am i eligible? :lol:

i put my pics right here on ocau

http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/index.php

only prob is the 500kb size limit
    i just resize them manually first
    minor pita

looking forward to the pics and the swearing when u get all ya bits together :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    VeritronX

VeritronX Member

Yes, some credit must go to Creekin for brainstorming and showing me that awesome nano res from thekoolroom. I reckon you could probably work it out given a few clues, the main ones being that the pump will be sitting next to the psu, and the fittings I bought. Still, pictures would help, and they will be coming once I get hold of a mouse. Might try google sketchup, see how hard it is to make a visual representation.

Yes, will be focusing on taking lots of pics and hopefully there isn't enough going wrong for me to commence with the swearing :lol:

I've squeezed stuff into an SG05 before, so I know that planning and installation order is key to success. The main variables atm are the routing of two pieces of tube and just how much cutting will be necessary to fit the gtx480 into the case.

4. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

yeah going by the numbers it looks like it will all fit...
    just

but i think tube is going to be the unknown variable.... :Paranoid:

5. 3th4n

3th4n Member

Mmmmmmm this should be interesting. Please take lots of pictures :) I use imageshack for my image uploading.

Sub'd.

6. BigDave

BigDave Member

Sub'd here to, Smaller than than my TT lan box.

imageshite sucks just use OCAU Pix :thumbup:

http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/

7. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Please for the love of god do not use imageshack :upset:

8. 3th4n

3th4n Member

I kind of half read your post when I posted before, just had a full read / look at what parts you're going to be using.

MFW I see the size of the case: :shock::shock::shock::shock: idonteven.jpeg
    The definition of extreme cooling has forever changed for me.

I was going to have a crack at what the plan is, but I just dont see any room for a pump and res unless you do away with the cd drive and mount it up there. Probably even have to cut some holes in the tray too, must be small if its for a laptop sized dics drive??? :confused: istilldonteven.jpeg

I wish you plenty of luck, hope it will all fit they way you want ;-)

Also, never had problems with imageshack. Am I doing it wrong?

9. OP
    OP
    VeritronX

VeritronX Member

The part where the cd drive and hdds go is removable so that you can screw them in, I'm just going to leave that bit out. The inlet and outlet on the rad will be where the cd drive normally goes anways. Thanks for reminding me, this case has raised mobo standoffs, I could possibly fit the two hdds under the mobo instead of under the psu like I was going to try. That means I should be able to fit the converter boxes for the cathodes under the psu.

10. GoofyHSK

GoofyHSK Bracket Mastah

11. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Imageshack just attacks me with popups and stupid adverts every time I accidentally click on someone's imageshack image. Plus it resizes my browser when I try to zoom :mad:

12. lothloriel

lothloriel Member

Imageshack is fine i don't get what the fuss is.

As long as you use the direct image link there won't be any popups. All you need to do is create a free account there to get access to the direct link when you upload.

13. OP
    OP
    VeritronX

VeritronX Member

I've received the case and parts, and I've been seeing how things fit. The rad I was going to use is too tall and too wide, so I've ordered the koolance one which will fit perfectly. I managed to leave the camera at home last night, but the boxes that stuff came in were mostly plain anyways so not much point taking photos of them. I'm at my mate's place atm and I have the camera now, so here are a few pics.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Now that i've spent some time with some of the actual parts, it seems my initial plan will need to be revised considerably.. I actually thought there was less space than there is :confused:

Right now i'm just going to get all the bits and see how I can make everything fit. I'm going to have to modify the case a fair bit before final installation of parts by the looks of it.I'm also looking to include the cpu in the loop now too, as it will actually make the tubing layout simpler I think, and I realised that all the heat from the cpu is going to be going through the rad anyways. The heat from the cpu will increase the water temp less than it would the air going through the rad, so in theory this should work better.

For now i'm backing up stuff from my main pc so that I can pull it to bits and fit the ssd, GTX480, cpu and ram into this and work on the layout.

14. OP
    OP
    VeritronX

VeritronX Member

Hey all, I spent all of friday night till 4am and all of saturday working on the pc, but had some stuff come up since then. ATM I'm wondering if there's a better way to post pics in a post as i'm sitting on about 50 of them atm. With my last post they all had to be in one column to line up using PIX, but I know if i use imageshack I can put them next to each other.. how do you make PIX line up as three columns of thumbnail links?

Also the writeup for this is taking me ages, it took me most of saturday just to work out how to fit everything into the case while maintaining airflow and finger room to check for leaks. Luckily I'm off today so I can get this stuff done.

Also, here's a little spoiler of things to come, the final layout of the cooling system:

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  15. trash

trash Member

Nice build. I love the mini-itx platform. In the photo above, is the pump sitting on top of the card?

16. OP
    OP
    VeritronX

VeritronX Member

Yes, the pump sits on top of the card, but not directly. There is dense foam taped to the bottom of the pump.

17. trash

trash Member

Thought you may have had a custom acrylic mount that couldn't be seen in the photo.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  18. OP
    OP
    VeritronX

VeritronX Member

Nah, I'm not so good at making things, I just mod what I have already to make it suit. That's actually the reason I didn't use the Nano Res I bought: It could fit if I somehow made up a bracket to mount it, but the EK res I had fit alot easier and I could also add a temp sensor to it and turn it sideways for fill / bleed. All I had to do to mount that was drill one hole :lol:

19. trash

trash Member

Cool. Sometimes easier is better than fancy.

20. OP
    OP
    VeritronX

VeritronX Member